Sponsored by:

heater working too good to be true

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 AM
scroller bill
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heater working too good to be true

Hi gang. I don't know if this is a problem or not. In 30,40 degree weather or any other temp for that matter, with in 5 minutes of starting bronco, it is throwing heat from the vents. All the heat controls are working proper. I don't see how it is possible to get heat that fast. Could this be an indication of a problem with the cooling system? The temp guage never goes past the first line of the word normal: NORMAL
> \ /
Is this normal for bronco's or do I have a problem some where that I need to fix?
After driving awhile there is presure in the radiator, I pull the lever on the cap and the pressure releases. The antifreeze is up to the neck.
Any info would be appreciated.
Bill
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
dybeepvw
Senior User
Sounds like everything is normal; my 83 Bronco heater gets warm within 4 to 5 minutes when cold outside. Fords always had fast working heaters.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 PM
captradiator
Elder User
My '96 heats up really quickly and this is a GOOD thing. Generally speaking, most Ford trucks do this. The only vehicle I have ever owned that heated up quicker was my '87 Bronco II.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:35 PM
shouldagotablazer
Junior User
the heater in my 86 full size didn't work hardly at all, after I got the heater hose situation under control it now usually takes about 5-7 minutes to start getting warm enough to turn on full blast and make it nice and toasty. pretty normal I'd say--Rich

Old 04-02-2007, 02:28 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
5 minutes is perfectly normal. However your gauge reading is a little suspect. I would change the t-stat out to a 195 degree one ASAP. If yours is stuck open, it will create lots of problems for you down the road.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
captradiator
Elder User
Bill,

Keep in mind that those factory gauges are supplied by the lowest bidder. If you have access to a non-contact pyrometer, take a reading as close to the T-stat as possible and you should get a temp. within ten degrees of 195.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
mprice
Elder User
Originally Posted by captradiator
Bill,

Keep in mind that those factory gauges are supplied by the lowest bidder. If you have access to a non-contact pyrometer, take a reading as close to the T-stat as possible and you should get a temp. within ten degrees of 195.
I double-checked my t-stat in a tea kettle with a thermometer so I know it opens just short of 200. My guage fluctuates between the middle of the 'N' to the middle of the 'O'. It might be helpful to do either this or what captradiator suggested to get a baseline.

Calvin

Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 PM
captradiator
Elder User
Calvin and Others,

We have observed that if a Ford gauge is going to be off, it generally reads low. Also, keep in mind that the temp. of a T-stat is the point that it BEGINS to open and is fully open ten to fifteen degress hotter.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:59 PM
scroller bill
Junior User
heater works too good

Thanks for all the info. A guy at work has one of those infra red type temp sensors, i'll have to borrow it. So the low temp guage reading could be the sensor itself or most likely the guage. If its the guage, then the only option would be to get an aftermarket guage and mount it in or under dash.

One other question about the thermosstat. My bronco's original owner lived in Hawaii. Would the very warm climate dictate what temp thermostat was installed in the bronco or is it the same no mater what the climate?
thanks
Bill

Old 04-03-2007, 07:18 AM
captradiator
Elder User
Bill,

We have repaired a few gauges by just changing the sending unit (Use OEM only!). The very best thing is to install a quality aftermarket gauge.

As far as what T-stat came in the truck, the T-stat is part of the smog/emissions package, so 195 should be what came from the factory, no matter what state it was delivered to.