6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New 6.4 psd

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 PM
fortex
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Specracerford
I cancelled my order for the 08, smart? maybe. Chicken? yes...I have a perfectly good 99 7.3 and don't need a 50 thousand dollar headache at this point in my life. If the trucks prove to be bullet proof, and I hope they do, I'll buy one. Money is hard to come by and easy to part with, I only part with mine when I'm at least better than 50% sure I'm going to win.
Read between the lines, listen to this man, let the bugs work out and then purchase. My .02. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 PM
KREnvy
Freshman User
Do What Your Gut Tells You

I have an 08 F250 PSD and the guy across the parking lot from my office has an 08 F350 PSD. We both love our new 08's. I have only 600 miles on mine and I'm towing for the first time this weekend. The other guy has over 3000 miles on his and uses it to tow a 10,000 lb boat back and forth to the River. Neither of us have experienced this problem with the tailpipe flames. I'm gonna have my software update done this week.

My mpg in the city is between 8-9. However, the other guy claims to be getting 13-14 on the hwy pulling his boat-- not sure I buy that.

Bottom line is I think you should stick with your gut instinct to get a diesel. If you opt for the V10, you might regret it later. Why not get an 07 Ford? The incentives are great right now. Otherwise, I think you should just refuse the order but wait a few more months to see if anything else develops. Then make your decision.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
PATIENCE is a great thing in a year all the bugs will be worked out.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:57 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RVJIM
Kimminau2: Thanks for the info. I'm towing a 26.5 HitchHiker II weighing around 10,000 lbs. Pin weight is about 1400 lbs. Specs I have read puts the 350 V10 well within limits.
The V-10 will pull that in its sleep. I would suggest at least 4.10's, 4.30's if they are available.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KREnvy
My mpg in the city is between 8-9.
Wow, I would hope that gets better.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:08 PM
RVJIM
New User
Well, after reading probably every post on the 6.4 PSD and all I could find about the Ford V10 I have deicided to go with the V10. There are too many issues with new 6.4 PSD. I'm going for the white & pueblo gold, F350 King Ranch, 4.10 rear end. Thanks for all the feed back.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Strut61
Senior User
RVJIM, I agree Great color choice . Not sure I'd agree with your statement "There are too many issues with new 6.4 PSD"

I know of No issues.......1 computer re-flash and a total of 3 trucks that experienced flames and one fella that had GAS in his Diesel tank. I see NO "many issues" in that.

Gas or Diesel, enjoy your new truck. They (V10 or 6.4) are totally Awesome

Old 04-06-2007, 07:46 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Strut61
RVJIM, I agree Great color choice . Not sure I'd agree with your statement "There are too many issues with new 6.4 PSD"

I know of No issues.......1 computer re-flash and a total of 3 trucks that experienced flames and one fella that had GAS in his Diesel tank. I see NO "many issues" in that.

Gas or Diesel, enjoy your new truck. They (V10 or 6.4) are totally Awesome
I second this.......Its the first year, and even with the flame issue it was only with a few(3) trucks......and the low gas milage stuff going around is mainly in the 450 trucks and all the guys who have the 250's and 350's are starting to chime in with more respectable milage numbers which in time will go up because the motor will be done with break-in. Just check with the owners of the '08 6.4L's, they love there trucks. The V-10 is nice also but every body is ******* the 6.4L and its just barely had a chance to prove it self.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
Originally Posted by RVJIM
Well, after reading probably every post on the 6.4 PSD and all I could find about the Ford V10 I have deicided to go with the V10. There are too many issues with new 6.4 PSD. I'm going for the white & pueblo gold, F350 King Ranch, 4.10 rear end. Thanks for all the feed back.
You will be happy with the V-10. But don't dog the 6.4, I now have 3500 miles on mine and all is great. A couple of minor issues and a few people that know nothing about the motor and have not driven one does NOT amount to a reason to dismiss the 6.4 as a problem child.

These guys that keep complaining about how bad Ford is and how bad their service and warranty and design is, need to sell their Fords, buy Dodge's like one idiot troll did and then get off the forum. I am tired of reading it when I am trying to get real information.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Heck, I don't understand that comment, either.

"There are too many issues with new 6.4 PSD"

As far as I've seen, there are NO issues with it.
I still think that the owner of the truck in infamous vid, accidently put gas in it.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:36 PM
RVJIM
New User
I didnt mean to open up pandora's box here but have you not read any of posts on extensive heat issues during regen, leaking injectors, wrong injector torque, turbin failures and more bad than good reports on gas mileage. I can't bash the 6.4 because I don't own one. I just was going to buy one. This was only information I was trying to get to make my decision.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Strut61
Senior User
Nope, heard of high exhaust temps, but that is to be expected and ALL of the new EPA mandated DPF's are generating the same effects ~ HEAT!.....Heck ever check the temps at the catalytic converter on a gas motor??????

Maybe I missed it but I've heard of No leaking injectors, No turbo failures and No incorrect injectors either.........Poor mileage, Yep, heard thos complaints but, they seem to be fading as "We" the owners of the 6.4's get more miles on them.

Heck, even my 450 with 4:88's has already seen 13.4mpg on the lie-o-meter. Actual average over 2200 miles is 11 mpg, but it is what I expected.

I don't think anyone considered your post bashing, just hate to see someone go off with mis-information. Just my .02

Old 04-07-2007, 04:58 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Strut61
Nope, heard of high exhaust temps, but that is to be expected and ALL of the new EPA mandated DPF's are generating the same effects ~ HEAT!.....Heck ever check the temps at the catalytic converter on a gas motor??????

Maybe I missed it but I've heard of No leaking injectors, No turbo failures and No incorrect injectors either.........Poor mileage, Yep, heard thos complaints but, they seem to be fading as "We" the owners of the 6.4's get more miles on them.

Heck, even my 450 with 4:88's has already seen 13.4mpg on the lie-o-meter. Actual average over 2200 miles is 11 mpg, but it is what I expected.

I don't think anyone considered your post bashing, just hate to see someone go off with mis-information. Just my .02
Well said, you can add my .02 to that. So now we got at least .04.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:52 PM
fortex
Freshman User
This came from another Web page.
So there are problems, nobody is making up nothing.

Had the new toy for almost 2 weeks!!! Bought it after having one of those fine 6.0 F350 that spent as much time in the dealership as it did on the road. Walked out of the house this morning and there was a 6 inch puddle of oil leaking from the back of the engine. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find the leak. Looks like it is coming from the top of the engine they said. I have a trailer to pull otherwise they could have kept the truck.
Any ideas? I have to have it back at the dealership in a week when I'm back in town.

I've always been a serious Ford fan. But after the 6.0 debacle and now this i"m thinking I should have went with the Dodge. I'd buy 12 Clydesdales to pull my trailer before I would ever buy a chevy.

Thanks

Brian

Old 04-08-2007, 12:28 AM
jarepackard
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fortex
This came from another Web page.
So there are problems, nobody is making up nothing.

Had the new toy for almost 2 weeks!!! Bought it after having one of those fine 6.0 F350 that spent as much time in the dealership as it did on the road. Walked out of the house this morning and there was a 6 inch puddle of oil leaking from the back of the engine. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find the leak. Looks like it is coming from the top of the engine they said. I have a trailer to pull otherwise they could have kept the truck.
Any ideas? I have to have it back at the dealership in a week when I'm back in town.

I've always been a serious Ford fan. But after the 6.0 debacle and now this i"m thinking I should have went with the Dodge. I'd buy 12 Clydesdales to pull my trailer before I would ever buy a chevy.

Thanks

Brian

This post came from a first time poster. Always interesting when the very first post someone does is a problem. Perhaps a troll?

Time will tell, but I will add to the others, I absolutely love my 6.4. Great power, awesome torque, great fit/finish.... Best truck Ford has ever made and this 6.4 is more and more impressive everytime I drive it.

Quick Reply: New 6.4 psd