1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

somethings outa whack here..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:12 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
somethings outa whack here..

Note the relationship of the bed to the cab. I measured the bed height on the bottom edge (i removed my boards and strips today) and the height of the frame rails. Everything appears true and "level" I looked at the rear cab mounts, and they appear fine, altho I'm thinking looks may be decieving. Sorry about pic quality, it was taken in BRIGHT sunlight.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W/ this age of vehicle, it's quite possible tha the Bed is a tick torqued.
Just imagine All the interesting things that She's been through in her long life & the Loads she's hauled in the time.
Something has to have given somewhere during that time.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:32 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of wack

suggestion, find a flat surface, check surface with level, maybe garage. Ruler and level, check everything side to side, left side to right side. Something is bent ,warped, mount or bushing missing. First frame to concrete, next bed to frame. Body last because it had to match front clip and you woul have known if that was not right. Have a great day, chuck

Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

I feel your pain. My 56 did the same thing. Here's a pic from my gallery that shows it: (opposite lean from yours): https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=72200&width=0

It had always been that way since I bought it. I also thought it was the bed. It wasn't. The pic was right after I had just finished extensive mods on the bed (which should have stiffened it) and I knew it was square, as were my frame and bed supports. Checked and rechecked. I had hoped that the work I did would solve the "lean".

Since it wasn't the bed, frame or suppoerts, I figured that the cab had swung over on it's rear mounts (the wishbones). I just crawled under it and used a pry bar between the frame and cab to tweak the low side of the cab up. (I used a scrap piece of steel to spread the load out on the cab). It settled in fine. Everything looks square now. When I get it back together, I'll see if it needs tweaking again.

Have fun.

Last edited by Randy Jack; 03-31-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:31 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I used new adjustable rear cab mounts from Mid fifty.( #0712) These cure cab mis- alignment problems . They are a bolt in replacement and allow for vertical and side to side adjustment. Well worth the $219. IMOP.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:37 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
My 49 is a bit wonly also.....

...but then again I'm a little lopsided myself, maybe we even each other out

Bobyb

Old 03-31-2007, 10:27 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bobby do you think that could be those FROSTY BEVERAGES. I've had that same thing happin more times than I care to recall. ........ RUSTY

Old 03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Thanx for the reples, fellas. Colonel, it may be tweaked, but i don't think so. 49Ford, I did all that, mostly. I'l take more measures manana. Randy, that's a good idea. I'll get under with a pry bar tommorrow. Wayne, when I fantasize about mid fifties Ford F-100's; I got to your gallery to do it. Sorry. I may have to splurge for a set of those adjusters. Those bed side strips you've got on there- are they Mid Fifty flange strips, w/o the angle? Bobby- lopsided? only after too many chilled refreshing beverages. Keep those thoughts coming Guys.
BTW, taking lots of fotos for a new "bedwork" gallery.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:55 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah Jim, My side strips are from mid-fifty.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:31 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
I don't know what happened to my photo that was on here, but.. I crawled under there today and was poking around and noticed that the rubber bushing in the rear cab mount wishbones appears to be damaged and are being "squoze" out of their holes. I can't tell if the bushing holes are now "egg shaped". I am torn between buying one or two of the MF adjustable links, or just the bushing sets for both sides, hoping that would be my problem. Question: how hard are these wishbones to remove, and what if anything else has to come off to facilitate this repair? How do you remove the inspection plug? Does it pry out? Thanx

Old 04-22-2007, 09:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I bought new "bushings" and they came already pressed into a cast iron dog-bone, can't remember where exactly. I think they are the same from '48 - '56? They were cheap and dropped in in 15 minutes, no drama with trying to press 50+ yr old bushings out. Everything sits right.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks, Ross. I was concerned that maybe there were issues with removing the bolts w/o them hitting something.