1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo gauge makes 'scratching' noise in my 89...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 08:16 PM
Mexray
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had this problem...I believe the speedo is electronic - no mechanical cable from tranny...

Is there a small motor that moves the needle? Is it very hard to get to the unit in the dash - I haven't had to remove the gauge cluster yet. It sounds like a gear or washer of some kind is rubbing against another part - it only makes noise when the Bronco is moving. When I am at freeway speeds, I can't hear it - to much background noise - but when touring around 25MPH it's really annoying!

Any suggestions...thanks.

Old 04-05-2002, 02:43 PM
MoabTamer
Freshman User

In the 89 Bronco the speedo is 100% mechanical. What you're hearing is the cable as it spins the center part. Mine used to do this until I pulled a little slack out of the cable to pull the gauge cluster out. Haven't heard it since. You can follow your speedo cable from where it connects to the back of the tcase along the frame and up under the floor thru the firewall. You may even be able to lube it with some graphite if you get it disconnected from the back of the gauge cluster.

Old 04-05-2002, 03:29 PM
adelyser
Elder User

I had the same problem on my '88 F-150, and lubing the cable will take the noise away. They make a syringe that will force the lube down through the cable. You may also just want to replace the cable, as I think it cost me about $30 when I did mine.

Old 04-05-2002, 06:48 PM
Mexray
Senior User

Thanks, guys....I took a quick look at the engine side of the firewall and didn't see any speedo cable, so I assumed it was electronic...

The noise is exactly like a worn out speed cable makes in older machines I've had - didn't know I had a cable...opps! I'll slide down under and follow it up to the dash...those cables are usually fairly cheap, and easy to replace if you can get to the back of the speedo gauge - thanks again.

Old 04-10-2002, 02:22 PM
4drbrnko
Senior User

Old 04-11-2002, 02:02 AM
Mexray
Senior User

Well, I finally got around to changing the speedo cable today - cost about $25.

The reason I didn't see any cable from the engine compartment is because it's run into the bottom of the floorboards, just behind the throttle peddle - dah! Once I dragged my body underneath, it was right in plain view heading to the transfer case.

For those that haven't tackled this project yet - it takes about an hour. You can't get to the back of the speedo to release the cable without pulling the gauge cluster loose a few inches. I removed the trasfer case end of the cable first, then unhooked the cable from two clips along the frame and floorboard. With the cable 'loose' I would have the slack needed to unhook the cable from the back of the speedo...see below.

You have to remove the headlight and wiper ***** (you need a small right-angle pick to release the **** clips). Then both lower dash panels. Then the upper gauge panel on the outside of the guage cluster. There are several 7 mm headed screws. Then you can remove the four screws that actually hold the cluster - gently pull the cluster out enough so you can reach behind and remove the cable from the speedo guage - easy to do, just squeeze the plastic clip - look at your new cable to see how it works. CAUTION - don't pull the cluster out so far that you will kink the small cable that runs the gear position indicator on auto tranny Brancos.

Grease up inner core of your new speedo cable prior to installation. Make sure the upper core end fits into the speedo properly and 'seat' the clip on the end. You can twist the other core end of the cable with your fingers to make sure the speedo is working properly.

Carefully route the cable assembly back through the floor grommet and back down to the transfer case. If you left the spring clip in the 'socket' on the transfer case, all you have to do is push the speedo cable end firmly into place till it 'clicks' home.

Now's the time ro replace any burned out indicator light bulbs before you put the cluster and dash panels back into place to finish up the job.

Ah - it's sure nice to not have to listen to that raspy, scrape, scrape, scrape noise at low speeds, anymore!

Also, Chilton has the right pictures and description for my 89 model - Haynes isn't much help here.