1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Better handling for 68 F100

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:38 AM
pbear6969
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better handling for 68 F100

I was wondering if there is anyone that makes some sort of kit to improve handling on a 68' F100. If there isn't any kit's some ideas of what to use will work also. I would like to stop the swaying and make it corner better if that is possible. It has power steering and is a V8 if that matters.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Polyeurathane bushings, upgraded sway bars and good shocks should make a night and day difference. I really like bilstien shocks, I have used quite a few energy suspension bushings. Sway bars are up to you to pick out sence I don't think Hotchkis makes any for you. You might try helwig, herb adams, I don't know of any others right off, but there are more companies.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:27 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a anti-roll bar I have seen on many Ford trucks that mounts between the radius arms also a standard type of frame mounted bar with links to the front of the radius arms brackets. Same thing with a frame mounted rear bar.
I would do it all in springs.
At one time they sold coil over spring shocks that not only compressed the spring but extended the spring for better handling, yup still have them in storage.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:02 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
There is a anti-roll bar I have seen on many Ford trucks that mounts between the radius arms also a standard type of frame mounted bar with links to the front of the radius arms brackets. Same thing with a frame mounted rear bar.
I would do it all in springs.
At one time they sold coil over spring shocks that not only compressed the spring but extended the spring for better handling, yup still have them in storage from a "must try test".

Old 03-24-2007, 07:40 PM
pbear6969
Senior User
Thanks for the info so far. I will do some checking and see if I can dig up anything at those sites you listed ReAX.
Long time no talk to Beemer, hope all is well. I have heard of those shocks you are talking about, but can't seem to find anything like that without buying a lowering kit or something like that. It's low enough now so I would rather not do that.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Sway bars and a good set of shocks, just like ReAx said!!!! I have one of the aftermarket sway bars for my '71, haven't got around to putting it on yet. Had a slightly redesigned Ford unit on there before, goting to give this a try. It looks more like a torsion bar off a sprint car then a factory type sway bar. All poly busings and adjustable end links. I have a set of KYB shocks on it too, had good luck with them on a couple other trucks in the past.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:17 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
When I was "flat tracking" I installed front and rear bars from a F350, rear clamps needed a two piece sleeve for the smaller diameter tube of a D60.
The 131" wheelbase is a flexable noodle, lifted inner rear two inches thru the turns hot corners understeered throttle corrected.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
I have a rear bar from a Lincoln Mark V, late 70's vintage, with all the bracketry too. Thinking about putting it on the rear of the '71 when I get the paint done and start putting things back together. The old Lincoln's handled fairly well, might be something you would want to consider for your '69k, Pbear????? They should be available at most salvage yards for a reasonable price, and the bushings would be available at your favorite parts store if they should need replacing.....

Old 03-24-2007, 11:11 PM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
LMC truck makes a rear and front sway bar for our trucks. I installed the rear and it helped with the body roll. only took about an hour to install.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:45 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Now are we talking bars on a empty street truck or one with a bigo heavy camper on its back?
Empty increased understeer big time, with a camper anything is a improvement.
The noodle frame is a handling killer no matter how the ends are glued down
besides the 80/20 weight imbalance.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:35 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
Now are we talking bars on a empty street truck or one with a bigo heavy camper on its back?
Empty increased understeer big time, with a camper anything is a improvement.
The noodle frame is a handling killer no matter how the ends are glued down
besides the 80/20 weight imbalance.
Hey, would these fixes (shocks and anti-way bar) help an f250 4X4?Love the truck, but it is a monster in the corners. Another question sort of related... Would power steering help with handling? I have armstrong steering that I do not mind putting the effort into using, but I would switch to power steering if it helped with handling. All information is appreciated.
Thanks,
Karl

Old 03-25-2007, 09:47 AM
pbear6969
Senior User
When I installed PS on my 68' it made the steering very touchy. It has terrible oversteer and I am looking for a steering stabilizer for it now. I have talked to several people that have the same problem, but I have talked to some people that say their's don't do that. I found a steering shock but no braket's. Maybe some other people on here can shed some light on this subject too.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Josh, what did you install for a PS box sounds like a Bendix?
Saginaw box feels like lower ratio making it a pleasure to drive
the truck as I went from a Bendix PS to a Saginaw PS in the 68 CS.
The box has nothing to do with handling unless it's a quick yank and
swerve maneuver causing mass to overcome front tire traction.

4 x 4's are high CG and ride stiff stock, by the time you add stiffer springs
and get the handling you want that thing will beat you to death.
Now if some aftermarket manufacture came up with a active suspension
system that's rated for trucks not just cars that would be ****.
Maybe i'm thinking beyond here but why not as this would help the streetrod
industry big time. I want patent royalties.

Last edited by "Beemer Nut"; 03-25-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:32 PM
graymule
Junior User
hey josh, i had a similar problem when i installed ps on my truck. found out the axle pivot bushings were my problem. a prothane frontend bushing made a BIG difference

Old 03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
pbear6969
Senior User
Yes it was a Bendix. It was free so I didn't complain to much, until now. I went to the Energy Suspension website and got the part numbers for the axle pivot bushings and I plan on calling autozone tomorrow to order them. I did find an aftermarket sway bar from Helwig but no price yet. I am checking on the Lincoln idea as well.

Quick Reply: Better handling for 68 F100