4.6 head on a 5.4? and general motor ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
micahman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.6 head on a 5.4? and general motor ?'s

ok will a 98 4.6 romeo head fit on a 5.4 vin L motor? are the head bolts different from the 4.6 than the 5.4? also whats the differance froma car 4.6 and a truck 4.6 will the car motor bolt up to my 4r70w tranny? also if i do a 5.4 swap what will i all need? the wire harness and the computer?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:27 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The heads/intake should be interchangable as long as they are all either PI or non-PI. I think the Romeo motors were non-PI, but don't take it as gospel.

You really need to nail down what motor you want before you start looking at the swap work. Computer and harness should be the same.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 PM
micahman
Freshman User
i have a 4.6 in there now with a bad head on the driver side. timing jumped when i turned it over after it was put back together. so i am looking for a 5.4 to drop in and i found one that needs a head on the other side. thinking of taking my head and puting it on the 5.4 and making a good complete engine.

i had a 4.6 car engine and i was told they would not bolt up but i want to make sure. i know id have to changer the intake and stuff. just need some help with technical issues

Old 03-20-2007, 06:38 PM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to www.cartechbooks.com and get the book: Building 4.6/5.4L FORD HORSEPOWER ON THE DYNO. Has car and truck info.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 PM
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Senior User
There are many variations of heads etc... like ReAX mentioned, PI, non-PI etc... however the intake will NOT fit. The 5.4 has a taller deck height so intake, timing cover, Timing chains, exhaust and several other things will not simple just bolt up.

The heads themselves, depending on what vehicle they are out of should bolt on the block just fine.

If you don't want headaches, just replacing your damaged head on your 4.6 is much easier than doing the 5.4 swap.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:44 PM
micahman
Freshman User
man i knew i should never have bought this truck. been nothing but a headache since day one. man then i need a head for the driverside for my 4.6 also it nees to be milled down even though they dont recomend it.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes, the PI and non-PI heads are different. I think the valvetrain is also different between a Romeo and Windsor. You need a 97-98 Romeo head for yours if you just want to replace it.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:51 PM
micahman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by LxMan1
Yes, the PI and non-PI heads are different. I think the valvetrain is also different between a Romeo and Windsor. You need a 97-98 Romeo head for yours if you just want to replace it.
thank you im glad you always give me the right advice. know where i can get a few roller rockers and some head parts? i think i bent only 4 valves. this motor has 177k miles on it and i really dont want to replace all the valves unless i have to. id just like to replace the 4 that are bent and the roller rockers. if i fix the heads and dont do anything to the lower half would that make my rings start to go on the cyl's that have the new valves?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It shouldn't unless there was already a problem in the bottom end.
Try www.dssracing.com They deal in alot of these engines. Even your local autoparts store should have them or can get them pretty quick. Someplace like AutoZone or NAPA.