Cleaning out old gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cleaning out old gas

I just purchased a '79 F-250 2wd. It has the single tank. the previous owner said the gas was at least two years old. I'd like to dump it out of the tank before I put fresh gas in and rebuild the carburetor.

I have never done such a procedure before, so what is the good way to dump old gas at home? I don't have a lot of tools or place to wrench it anytime I'd like to so I am kind of limited to what options are available. The gas gage reads empty so it won't take too much gas to drain.

I will purchase a ten gallon fuel tank to drain the old gas and dump it. Would it be wise to fill the fuel can with fresh gas where the old gas was before?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
you are going to have to drop the tank (you probably already realized that) which means you better buy new hardware because half that crap is going to break off....

personally, I'd change the fuel filter, then I'd siphon what i can, then put TWO 12 oz bottles of Techron in the tank, fill it up and drive it....put a few tanks through it and then change the filter again.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I believe radiator shops can flush gas tanks as well. I would also replace the rubber hose that connects the metal feed line from the tank to the pump, right up near the engine on the driver's side.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Siphoning seems to be the workable option here. I'd forgotten about the Chevron Techron. I'll have to buy that, thanks for reminding me.

I plan to replace all vacuum hoses anyway, including the fuel lines.

I was thinking of taking the rubber line that goes to the carburetor from the fuel pump and put the hose in the tank while cranking it so the gas will pour onto the can. Is this a good idea or could it damage something?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jermafenser
I was thinking of taking the rubber line that goes to the carburetor from the fuel pump and put the hose in the tank while cranking it so the gas will pour onto the can. Is this a good idea or could it damage something?
that won't damage anything, a good idea.

also, advanced auto parts has Techron buy one get one free.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:06 PM
HonorableKingCab
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you pull the line from the carb and pump it, make sure you replace the fuel filter before filling the tank again. Your best bet is to replace all the fuel line, too. Mine sat for two years and I couldn't keep it running with new gas. I replaced all the rubber fuel line and it runs good.

Also, once you get it running, check the carb for gasket leaks. You can probably expect to put a kit in it.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Rsy, yup. I was surprised they had the Techron sale. Luck is with me this trip.

Yes, I plan to replace all the fuel lines and filter. As soon as I learned about the old gas, I decided on reworking the whole fuel system. The only thing is, I don't know what's a good kit for the 2150.

Last thing, do they still make screw-in fuel filters anymore? It's a fuel filter that screws onto the carburetor. All I can find is the mid line fuel filter.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 PM
1pump
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, those filters are still around.

I've drained tanks using air pressure before. You just have to be careful not to overpressure the tank, and plug any vents. Disconnect the fuel line before the pump, and it'll blast right out. Just don't put more than about 3-5 psi to it.
Cranking the starter will work, but it'll take a while to do it without overheating the starter. They have a short duty cycle. Not to mention the engine won't get good oil pressure, but not a big deal if there isn't much gas in there.

But do you want to know what I would do?

If there isn't much in there, just dump as much gas as you can on top of it. Like fill it up. It won't know the difference. Just change the filter a couple times, and you should be good. People get too freaked out over "old gas". I work for the largest oil refiner in the country, and most people have no idea how old the gas is that they're putting in their tanks. I do.
That's just what I would do, based on my own meandering experience. Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 1pump

If there isn't much in there, just dump as much gas as you can on top of it. Like fill it up. It won't know the difference. Just change the filter a couple times, and you should be good. People get too freaked out over "old gas". I work for the largest oil refiner in the country, and most people have no idea how old the gas is that they're putting in their tanks. I do.
That's just what I would do, based on my own meandering experience. Your mileage may vary.
gee, that sounds familiar.....

Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jermafenser
Rsy, yup. I was surprised they had the Techron sale. Luck is with me this trip.

Yes, I plan to replace all the fuel lines and filter. As soon as I learned about the old gas, I decided on reworking the whole fuel system. The only thing is, I don't know what's a good kit for the 2150.

Last thing, do they still make screw-in fuel filters anymore? It's a fuel filter that screws onto the carburetor. All I can find is the mid line fuel filter.
Still plenty of the screw-in filters around. As for the 2150 kit, I've probably seen a dozen different brands and all the kits look the same. You'll probably have to keep your old discharge pump weight and choke linkage dust shield because I've never seen a kit to this day that has a replacement that will fit. Also, most 2150 kits come with base gaskets but they are junk; don't use them. Buy the base gasket separately...you want the thick kind.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fmc400
Still plenty of the screw-in filters around. As for the 2150 kit, I've probably seen a dozen different brands and all the kits look the same. You'll probably have to keep your old discharge pump weight and choke linkage dust shield because I've never seen a kit to this day that has a replacement that will fit. Also, most 2150 kits come with base gaskets but they are junk; don't use them. Buy the base gasket separately...you want the thick kind.
I found Wix still make screw-in fuel filters. SCORE!

Most rebuild kits are $20 while Motorcraft's own is $35. Any difference between them? Hope my rebuild goes well; it will be my first.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look for the base gasket.