Propane fueled FE ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 PM
69F250CrewCab4x4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Propane fueled FE ?

Anyone running LPG on an FE ? I'm getting ready to convert my 390 to Propane (LPG). I'm not sure if I'll go dual-fuel, or Propane only yet ? I just got back a set of cylinder heads from the machine shop. They are all done up right. I have a bad valve right now. I plan on fixing that, and installing a new aluminum intake that I've had for about 5 years now.

If I get it all figured out, eventually it will be turbocharged, and on propane.

All input is gladly welcomed!

Thanks, Rick

Old 03-06-2007, 07:28 PM
66 POJ
Senior User
My neighbor has a FE that was propane powered, but he is in process of converting to gas. That truck ran so good on propane . He had trouble with getting someone to fill the tank due to its age or some crap like that. Still does not have it running yet. He is using the 2bl carb off my 360 as I am going to a 4bl.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Convert the home kitchen if not already setup for it, and fill your own tank I'd love to consider a dual fuel setup myself. Camping would always have 2 jugs in the truck that could solve a headache in a second.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Ron R
Junior User
propane is for cooking not driving.

Why would you do such a thing?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
69F250CrewCab4x4
Junior User
Ummmmmm..................Because I haul Propane ?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Ron R
Junior User
So free fuel??

This one time in band camp I hear that you lose 30% of your power?
Is this true??

Old 03-09-2007, 11:53 PM
69F250CrewCab4x4
Junior User
More like 10% is what I heard. If you build an engine for propane only, you can run close to 11:1 compression, and more than make up any power or economy losses. There are some state of the art systems today that use a fuel computer/timing computer, and an 02 sensor, to give good economy, and drivability at all altitudes and temps. The company is called "Technocarb". Pricey, but good stuff.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:01 PM
390cobrajet
Senior User
if built right propane runners will out run a gas engine mileage wise and more reliable too. I dont didnt notice a power loss, and the engine always started with a click of the ignition switch, usually wasnt even all the way engaged when it started! even in the coldest weather it always started like it was warmed up. but I have seen a few that were dogs and always had problems, although none of these are FE's. I think its a good idea, I would do it also if it wasnt for the tank problem, where to put it with my cab over camper in the back!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:44 PM
tempforce
Senior User
i just had a page full of arguments with someone on another site about propane and gas mileage. i couldn't get him to understand that a engine built to run on propane could have as much power and mileage as a engine built to run on gas. even going into the btu's and octane differences. he couldn't understand that a engine built for 105 octane fuel could get better mileage and power than a engine built for 87 octane gasoline. even with gasoline having more btu's.
i even went into asking him how well 87 octane gas would work in a engine with 14.5:1 compression.
never could get him to understand the difference a engine that is prepared for the fuel could run so well. even with him agreeing that a gas race engine could perform very well (115 octane race gas, to compare with). so even then he was unwilling to compromise. so be prepared, if you build a engine to run on propane and people ask you if it's a smelly dog and has terrible mileage. just smile as you fill the tank for 1/3rd to 1/2 the cost of 87 gas. and drive off with a 13:1 to 14.5:1 compression tire smoking rig that when you change the oil once a year. it's clean enough to use in your other equipment.
hope we run into each other down the road and we'll swap stories about the non-believers. while we pocket the savings.
ps: if you can afford it, liquid propane injection is the only way to go...

Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 PM
KO1960
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I knew a guy who had a beat up 70's something Oldsmobile with duel fuel. It seemed at the time pretty low tech with a button in the engine compartment to switch from gas to propane. The engine, it was a V8, had 250k miles and just purred. Propane certainly burns cleaner and could prolong engine life. Will you always have access to propane? A duel fuel system could be more practical depending on your usage. I used to be good looking and skinny. Now I'm fat and old. Things change. Good luck.

Kurt

Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 PM
tempforce
Senior User
propane is a by product of making gasoline and is refined out of natural gas. so yes there will be a market for it, along with home heating and barbeques. the price may increase excessively, so you should be prepared to change over to natural gas.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 PM
neon tony
Freshman User
i recommend having your heads done with propane in mind. it is EXTREMELY hard on the valves/seats. i used to drive an f 700 with a 361 on propane, it ate regular motors every couple years. got a dedicated propane motor from ford, never a prob after. takes a lot to get a sodium filled exhaust valve sucked into the head. the fe valves/seats are not all that great for unleaded, much less propane.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 PM
tempforce
Senior User
yes sodium filled valves and stainless seats are in order. i'm trying to determine a compression ratio to use with the modular 4.6 factory mark 8 4v cams.
the overhead valve 302 limits are around 11.5:1 where the 4.6 should be able to handle 13:1... i'm leaning toward 11.75-12.5:1 compression to keep it reliable. and still make use of the 105 octane. the 4.6 epa approved liquid propane system does cool the engine prior to light off of the spark plugs as the propane turns to gas. so that should help compared to using a vapor carb system.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
my 79 Bronco is running a 428 on propane ..for the last 25 years ..it has zero problems .runs great ..haul's A$$ ..and yes I carry a cheater hose and a BBQ tank ..sometimes ..the only problem is fuel stations are closeing and propane is getting harder to find ..I don't have sodium valves ,just hardened seats and a RV cam ..crane I think .. and I'm only running 10.5 so I can go to gas o line ..if propane ever runs out..LOL...not!!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM
tempforce
Senior User
glad to hear about not using sodium, lowers the build cost. i'm currently planning on using port liquid injection, so i should get quit a bit of chamber cooling under load.. i'm starting to leaning to stay under 12:1 compression for economy of the engine build. as prices of engine parts grow quit a bit as compression raises.
not planning on using or even making it able to run anything but propane or maybe natural gas. if propane gets very $$$$. as home filling stations for both products are becoming more reasonable... if you have any suggestions let me know by pm or maybe we should start a different thread...

Quick Reply: Propane fueled FE ?