1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Brake rotor upgrade...hawk pads and who's rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake rotor upgrade...hawk pads and who's rotors?

I cant stand the constant warping anymore so whos slotted rotors do i need to get and where do you guys get em at? also what has been your experince in towing heavy with this setup?

Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alot of people have had good experience with powerslots. I know tirerack.com has them for a decent price. I believe Kris has some experience with them and towing.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:43 PM
rad1026
Elder User
I went with the Applied Brake Technology Cryo Slotted rotors. I just put them on this weekend so I don't have much experience with them yet. I know my truck stops way better than it was. I'm really looking forward to throwing my camper on and hookin up the boat to see how it does. A lot of the guys have gone with Powerslots, but talk to Pad at ABT and you may change your mind.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
I have rotorpros pads and rotors on mine. So far they are working great. Very good prices.. www.rotorpros.com

Old 03-05-2007, 05:49 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Cryoed Powerslots (FrozenRotors) on the front of our 2000 dually. It pulls a trailer most of its life in the summer, and even in the winter. I used SuperDuty pads that are designed for towing, get LTS (Light Truck Service) for normal driving and occasional towing. Since you can only get powerslots on the front for a dually application, i got Brembo stock replacement rears. The rotors were in rough shape. I have a webshots gallery if anyone wants to see. I got mine from TireRack, and they were $144 a corner for the rotors, cryoed and guaranteed not to warp. Hawk pads at $72 an axle. So far so good!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:45 PM
fd1109
Senior User
Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads on my F350 with 30,000 miles on them since I replaced them . Pull 8000 pd trailer 1/2 of the time with no problems at all . Very pleased ..

Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 PM
travis dasher
Senior User
Another plug here for HAWK LTS and Powerslot Cryo'd rotors.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:06 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
In my opinion, whatever you get, make sure they are cryo treated, and not the "standard" rotors.

I have the Powerslot cryo treated rotors which I got from Mark at DPPI. Great deal (he price matched) and excellent service, plus he's a supporting vendor here.

Stewart

Old 03-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rad1026
I went with the Applied Brake Technology Cryo Slotted rotors. I just put them on this weekend so I don't have much experience with them yet. I know my truck stops way better than it was. I'm really looking forward to throwing my camper on and hookin up the boat to see how it does. A lot of the guys have gone with Powerslots, but talk to Pad at ABT and you may change your mind.
I gave the guys at Applied Rotor Tech a call and I think I will go with a set of theirs. I too have the shimmy shake on my brakes and from what they say, they have it down, plus you get a 15% discount if you get them during their winter sale. As soon as I get my truck running I'm calling them and getting a set for the front, I haven't had any rear issues right now but as for the front goes, that's what I'm fed up with. At 10-12K on a new set of "premium" rotors from the auto parts store, I have to pick up my coffee cup when I brake to keep from experiencing the "McDonald's Coffee Burn Syndrome" in areas that should not receive such brutality. I would go A.R.T as their sets come with matching high quality pads. Fairly good deal if you ask me.

Last edited by Zwalters; 03-06-2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 03-06-2007, 12:42 PM
John311t
Postmaster
This is very odd, for some reason my brakes have been on the truck since i bought it used at 130K. I had one back caliper seize up so i replaced the back. The fronts have not given me any problems yet and are barely barely warped at 155K. Ill probably go out there next week and find out something is wrong since i posted something was right on my truck but who knows maybe ill stay lucky?

Old 03-06-2007, 01:39 PM
MoreSmoke
New User
Originally Posted by fd1109
Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads on my F350 with 30,000 miles on them since I replaced them . Pull 8000 pd trailer 1/2 of the time with no problems at all . Very pleased ..
That's what I'm going with.
Is it true that the Slots are better than the drilled. I've heard the drilled rotors have a tendency to crack.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
heard the same from A.R.T. They are a sponsor and if you got time they will give you a basic spiel on how you get the shimmy and how their brakes work. Just call

Last edited by Zwalters; 03-06-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-06-2007, 03:33 PM
rad1026
Elder User
You won't be disappointed with the A.R.T. set up Walters. First of all Centric is a quality brake company. You can go to their web site, they have been in business for a long time. Then you take a good quality slotted rotor and cryo treat it in a environment controlled by the business owner himself, who by the way is an X Boeing engineer. Power slots are probably really good, but I like to be able to talk to the people who actually handle the product.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
Originally Posted by rad1026
You won't be disappointed with the A.R.T. set up Walters. First of all Centric is a quality brake company. You can go to their web site, they have been in business for a long time. Then you take a good quality slotted rotor and cryo treat it in a environment controlled by the business owner himself, who by the way is an X Boeing engineer. Power slots are probably really good, but I like to be able to talk to the people who actually handle the product.
He still works for boeing alittle if I remember right. He does machinist work also. I'm in the military and let me tell you from experience, Boeing ppl normal are the best you can get, right along side with Lockheed Martin, Electric Boat(General Dynamics) and Raytheon. These guys are the best in the world at precision engineering and anything else they do. I'm accually thinking of taking a job with Lockheed Martin or NASA when I get out of the Navy (got acouple of offers). Anyway, these guys know there metals and if you really what some tough metals, I know of acouple that the DOD uses for specific things and I'm not quite sure but I think I could get some.