Sponsored by:

Thumping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 04:46 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumping?

K about a week ago i started to develop a noise under my feet when im driving it only happens when i go over bumps and i can feel it knocking around under my feet but for the life of me i cant fiqure out whats doing it i replaced the radius arm bushings last weekend in an effort to stop it but that dident help and about a week before it started i replaced the shocks. but im out of ides to what it coulde be and it only makes it when im driving so its kinda hard to pinpoint any ideas would be great. thanks

96 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 351w, 4x4, auto

Old 09-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Pioneer Ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumping?

Ok, this may be way off the mark but it might just help. Have you had any exhaust work done lately? Right after I had my flowmaster put on my truck developed a "thumping" at odd times. I too was completely stumped. Turned out that the new exhaust pipe was hitting the bolt from the transfer case bracket whenever the pipe moved enough to hit it. All i did was remove the bolt and placed a few washers to act as a spacer between the bolt head and the frame to shorten the nut side of the bolt so that the pipe would not hit it. Sorry if this does not apply to you might who knows, it might. Good luck.

Eric

Old 09-12-2002, 06:22 PM
cyberdr2
Junior User
Thumping?

You may want to check all the tranny mounts and bolts. You are on the right track with what you are looking at. Check your suspension springs while you are down there. Check to see if the base or the spring is cracked anywhere. You may want to have someone bounce on the front bumber to try and simulate the driving condition. Good luck and post your findings.

Old 09-12-2002, 09:15 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Thumping?

Today I looked at it some more and found that the driver side radius arm bushing was a little loose so I got some washers and tightened it up but it didn’t help any so then I tried bouncing the truck from all corners (again) but couldn’t get it to make the sound so I decided to take the front shocks off quick so I could get the truck to bounce more but still couldn’t hear it so I got my brother to shake it well I looked under it but still no noise so i put the shocks back on and looked at everything for about 15 minutes including the tranny mounts but didn’t see a problem. I’m starting to suspect the torshen bar (or how ever you spell it) seems unlikely to me but the bushings on it look if'y. I’m gonna out some new ones on this weekend I let you know if it fixes it ohh and I checked the exhaust but found nothing. Thanks for all the ideas

Old 09-12-2002, 10:56 PM
RAzaRazor
Junior User
Thumping?

Have you run over any midgets lately??

My thoughts would be a loose wiring harness to the transmission or transfer case. They run right under your feet and could be floping around. Or maybe you lost a wheel balancing weight. That has happened to me several times.

Old 09-13-2002, 06:04 PM
bronco351
Posting Guru
Thumping?

Did you ever think it might have to do with your engine. Could the engine be knocking?

Old 09-13-2002, 10:51 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Thumping?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Sep-02 AT 11:52 PM (EST)]Hey evryone THANKS for all the responses but I fixed it all had todo was rip most of the suspension apart, I got really mad and just riped avaerything that could posibly make that noise off inspected it and put it back together that fixed it right up although now im not really sure what it was but I think it was one of the new shocks on the rear axle (go fiqure).

Old 09-13-2002, 11:19 PM
ryanguglich
Senior User
Thumping?