Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warn Standard Hubs

Old 09-08-2002, 01:00 PM
troysbowman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warn Standard Hubs

I have a 90 Bronco EB 302 / AOD - no modifications.

I just did an automatic to manual hubs using the Warn standards.

The left side went in like a charm. The right side hub had to be tapped in with a rubber hammer - no play. The directions noted that you should have some play. The corrective action was to make sure the first adjustment nut had to have the nipple to the outside (mine does), the washer and the nipple had to line up (mine does), and the secound nut had to be tightened down accordingly (mine does).

After going through this corrective action, there still is no 'play' (standard hub does not move in and out freely). The hub is matched to the groves on the shaft also. Everything is assembled correctly including the proper torque required for the two nuts with the washer in the middle on the nipple. I also had to pry like you know what on the right shaft to make it come out far enough to lock the ring on the outer end.

After the above mentioned steps, I lifted each wheel with a floor jack and tested each side to make sure that it worked. Both sides work perfect.

The only thing that I wonder, IS this correct? I would like to know if anyone could shed some light on this subject. In order for me to get the right side hub out, I have to place two screws at 180 degrees and pull like you know what to get it out. I think something is still wrong and don't know what it is.

Please help

Troy Bowman

Old 09-11-2002, 12:46 AM
cyberdr2
Junior User
Warn Standard Hubs

Here is a really good link to a site that has a step by step conversion from auto hubs to warn hubs. This guy even has pics !!!!
Good luck and post your findings!!!!http://personal.rdu.bellsouth.net/rdu/t/g/tgaunce/bronco/warn_manuals/warn_hubs.html

Old 09-11-2002, 02:11 PM
troysbowman
Junior User
Warn Standard Hubs

Thanks for the info. I have already followed this site. Did not have to use conversion kit though - mine wasn't a three hole.

My question is, I had my upper & lower ball joints replaced at a shop. The left side went in like a charm, but the right is a pain in the ###. It seems like something is not lining up right.

If you have had this problem or know what it might be, please help.

Thank you for the response.

Troy
90 EB 302/AOD Stock

Old 09-11-2002, 03:53 PM
cyberdr2
Junior User
Warn Standard Hubs

Are your tires wearing normally? This will give an indication of the problem. In my Ford factory manual they suggest measuring from axle to body. If it is off more than 1" on either side you may have something else bent or that needs replacing causing stress on passenger side. If you give me some of the symptoms you are experiencing ( shake, pulling, tightness in steering) I can limit it down even further for you. Good luck...

Old 09-11-2002, 04:43 PM
honney
Elder User
Warn Standard Hubs

I've had similar problems before. Actually, twice. First time was because some moron had beat on the stub shaft, screwing up the splines. Second time was because my Warn Premium wouldn't quite fit into a different wb hub I was installing.

You can troubleshoot it easily enough (kinda). Slowly slide the lockout into place until it starts to fight you (it may fight you almost right away). Get down level w/the hub and carefully look for what's hanging you up. It could the splines at the axle or at the wb hub. Take a Dremel and clearance as necessary.

If you can't conclude much while it's on the truck, you'll need to remove the wb hub and see if it slides into there ok. If so, then try to slide it onto the axleshaft sticking out of the spindle.

Now, if it slides onto each individual one easily, you might have something bent. But first make sure the lockout's not poorly machined by taking the lockout from the other side and test fitting.

Clear as mud? Both times the Dremel cleared it right up for me.

Old 09-11-2002, 05:10 PM
troysbowman
Junior User
Warn Standard Hubs

Thank you both for the information.

I will try these suggestions and provide feedback after I tackle it this weekend - 14 SEP 02.

Again, Thank you.

Troy

Old 09-27-2002, 05:32 PM
troysbowman
Junior User
Warn Standard Hubs

I finally had the time to work on the front right hub. It has been raining alot here in Jax, FL and I don't have a garage.

It was exactly what you said, a dremel fixed it right up.

I took off the rotor to see what was binging on the warn hub. It was the inside of the rotor part and not the half shaft. I tapped the warn hub gently into the rotor part. Tapped it back out from the rear. Then I looked at the score marks on the warn hub and ground them down accordingly. Now the warn hub slides in and out the proper way.

Thank you very much for the information and the tips. It has helped me tremendously!

Old 09-27-2002, 07:11 PM
roscoe
Senior User
Post Warn Standard Hubs