1996 Bronco- Question on Warn Premium Hubs Install - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Reload this Page >

1996 Bronco- Question on Warn Premium Hubs Install

Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-24-2002, 10:12 PM
alpine7572
Senior User
alpine7572 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi Everyone!

I'm a new owner of a 1996 Ford Bronco. Before I bought it, I had the truck put on a lift and hit the 4X4 button and low and behold they all turned. Everything else was in good working order.

But when the snow hit us a few weeks back on the north east coast, i came upon a hill with a few inches of packed snow and got a little stuck. So I hit that 4X4 button and nothing but rear spin.

So I read on this board about the Warn hub and conversion kit and installed them today. Hardest part was the wheel lock ring. The way I got that out was to jack each side up wedge a fatty screwdriver turn the wheel by hand and let the screwdriver catch the edge and let it spin out.

Now that I put in the conversion kit and installed the hubs, how do I test to see if they really work. I don't have access to a lift and there's no snow for the next few weeks.

Also I found out my cruise control doesn't work and the dealer wants $260 fr a new motor. Any suggestions on where I can get a replacement.
Thanks
Mike

Old 01-25-2002, 12:30 AM
oldblue18
Elder User
oldblue18 is starting off with a positive reputation.

One way I found to check to see if the hubs are working is to lock them in and put a piece of masking tape(or I used white electrical tape) on the front u-joints(you can see them through the steering knuckles). Then drive foward about an foot or two. Get under the truck and see if the tape is in the exact same position. If it has moved, then the hubs have worked properly.

Jon
1989 F-150 XL- 4x4, 302, M50D
1995 Bronco Eddie Bauer- 351W, E40D

Old 01-25-2002, 01:46 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future

Find a little grassy slope and in 2wd back up the slope and then stop. Then try to back up some more. It's not hard to get stuck trying to back up a slick hill. Then put it in 4wd, and it should climb right up in reverse.

Old 01-25-2002, 09:23 AM
alpine7572
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-Jan-02 AT 09:24 AM (EST)]I thought that the 4X4 doesn't work in reverse. I thought i read in the manual that reverse only works on the rear wheels

Thanks
Mike

Old 01-25-2002, 12:13 PM
adelyser
Elder User
adelyser is starting off with a positive reputation.

I would check the junkyard for a replacement cruise control motor. After looking at my ford service manual, it seems that the stop light switch is the most common failure for the cruise to not work, but it could also be the unit.

Four Wheel Drive will work whether going forward or backwards.

Old 01-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future

alpine7572
You might be talking about the auto hubs he started with. There is some sort of procedure for getting auto hubs to lock and un-lock, but I wouldn't have them on my truck. A truck that won't stay in 4x4 in reverse, is not much use to me.

Old 01-26-2002, 01:36 PM
hipropos
Junior User
hipropos is starting off with a positive reputation.

Got a question about the install of the hubs. I just got a set of Mile Markers, but i didnt get the conversion kit. As i understand it, i have the five bolt hubs you dont need the conversion kit, right. On your 96 was it 5 or 3 bolt auto hub setup? And did you have to buy the special socket for removal of the hub?
Also my cruise control went out too. Does any know what the name of the switch is on the brake master cylinder is?

Any one doing a rear main oil seal replacement, its easier to pull the engine than to remove the transmission!

Old 01-28-2002, 10:45 AM
adelyser
Elder User

I need to replace that same switch, as mine is leaking brake fluid from inside the switch. I will see if I can locate a name for it and where it is available. I have to change that ASAP.

Old 01-28-2002, 10:46 AM
adelyser
Elder User

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. The auto hubs do work in forward and reverse, at least mine did without any trouble. I can remember having to use 4WD in reverse a couple of times last winter to get out of my driveway.

Old 01-28-2002, 06:20 PM
hipropos
Junior User
hipropos is starting off with a positive reputation.

im in no big hurry on getting the cruise control fixed at the moment but will be nice to have for the long summer trips.
as if i didnt have enough headacks with my bronco my girlfriend went off this weekend and bought herself a 94 xlt 351 bronco. now the repairs will never end.

Old 01-31-2002, 12:20 AM
alpine7572
Senior User

I have the 3 bolt srt up and had to buy the hub tool for the conversion kit. It worked out great. As far as the cruise control I have to wait and see.

Thanks
Mike

Old 02-01-2002, 03:26 PM
mac66
New User
mac66 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I just put Mile Marker manual hubs on my Bronco. Can't tell if they are working or not. In that the original auto hubs required the button to be pushed to engage them automaticaly, does the interior 4x4 button need to be pushed before turning the manual hubs?

Old 02-02-2002, 08:48 AM
AlM
Posting Guru
AlM is starting off with a positive reputation.

Mac,
Lock the hubs first, then shift.
What year do you have? I have a 96 Owner's Guide in Word dnloaded and can send it to you via e-mail if you want, but it does not address using the "Touch Drive" option with MANUAL Hubs. So treat it as a "Lever Operated System With Manual
Locking Hubs"
It states: "Lever Operated System With Manual
Locking Hubs
To shift from 2H to 4H:
Stop the vehicle and engage the manual locking hubs by turning both hub lock selector ***** clockwise to the LOCK position...Manual locking hubs must be in LOCK position before shifting into four-wheel drive..."

Old 02-04-2002, 02:53 PM
mac66
New User
mac66 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a 91 Bronco, 5L.

The more I think about it the more I think one would still have to push the shift button but then engage the hubs manually or vice versa.

Old 02-04-2002, 03:18 PM
AlM
Posting Guru
AlM is starting off with a positive reputation.

Yes Mac; lock hubs 1st, then press the 4x4 button

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Bronco- Question on Warn Premium Hubs Install

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.