1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Wheel bearing HELP! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Notpilbrisk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel bearing HELP! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!??

Okay, first things first. Working on a 1995 F-250 PSTD 103,000miles, 5 speed. With a Dana 50 IFS front axle. Pulled the front left wheel bearings off to inspect, repack, and adjusted. Pulled front hub off and removed hub grease seal. Inspected bearings, cage, and race. All good. Repacked with high temp grease. Installed inner bearing and then drove new seal in. Installed hub onto spindle. Installed outer bearing making sure it was sitted nicely against its race. installed adjusting nut with pin on the outside facing me while in the hub and tightened to 50ft pounds while rotating hub. Back off adjusting nut 90 degrees while rotating hub, then installed lock washer, had to turn the adjusting nut just a hair to make it align with a hole in the lock washer. then I installed the lock nut tightening 170ft lbs. the hub spun nicely after this, but this is where my problems start.After tourqing the lock nut to spec, I installed the snap ring into the groove making sure it was completely seated in the slot on the axle shaft. I then installed the locking hub assembly into the hub pushing it in as far as i could. then installed the locking hub assembly with the 6/8 round snap ring. I then made sure that was fully seated into its groove. NOw, when i go to put the cap onto the hub, the cap does not sit flush with the hub, like the other side that I have not torn apart yet. What could be causing this from sitting flush like the other side? I feel like there is something stupid that I am missing or over looking. Any thoughts, ideas, opinions, two cents, ANYTHING will help. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you will be able to help.

Thanks in advance,
Gerry

Old 06-16-2013, 05:37 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the cap in the free posistion if not it will stay not flush with the hub because you have to over come the spring pressure inside the locking portion

Old 06-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Notpilbrisk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Rodneywar! the cap was is the free position. BUT on a better note, I figured out what was wrong... Turns out that the snap ring that sits in the groove of the axle shaft was in the wrong position. I had installed the snap ring right after i tightened the lock nut. There is a groove in the axle shaft so i figured thats where it goes. turns out I do not install the snap ring on the axle shaft until after I install the locking hub assembly. Once the locking hub assembly is installed, I installed the snap ring on the axle shaft, and then the outer snap ring that sits into the hub housing. Thanks for the reply thou!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Notpilbrisk
Thanks for the reply Rodneywar! the cap was is the free position. BUT on a better note, I figured out what was wrong... Turns out that the snap ring that sits in the groove of the axle shaft was in the wrong position. I had installed the snap ring right after i tightened the lock nut. There is a groove in the axle shaft so i figured thats where it goes. turns out I do not install the snap ring on the axle shaft until after I install the locking hub assembly. Once the locking hub assembly is installed, I installed the snap ring on the axle shaft, and then the outer snap ring that sits into the hub housing. Thanks for the reply thou!
thats good bud it is just the little things that get you!