General Automotive Discussion

Truth or not so much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:57 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truth or not so much?

Idling to warm up is murder on the engine. Condensation and acids build up in the oil...
Never heard that one before? Just some not-quite-so-smart reporter trying to convince people remote-starts are bad ideas? The author suggests getting in, starting up, and driving away. I was under the impression that the vehicle should warm up slightly beforehand.

Opinions or facts appreciated.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:24 PM
OKMIC1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The guy is an idiot. The big push away from warming up cars has everything to do with "global warming". They're trying to cut down on emissions.

Last edited by OKMIC1; 02-17-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:34 PM
OKMIC1
Elder User
After searching the web a bit it appears that a lot of people disagree with me. Fine. I'm still not recommending just starting a car up and driving away without some time to warm up, especially when it's 9 degrees outside like yesterday morning.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:58 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
I tend to agree with you. Global warming or not...I'm not going to get in my truck when it's below freezing outside, crank it over, and then just let the clutch out and drive away.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:28 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
does it really matter if its bad for the engine or not? most people don't keep their cars long enough to know if it was or not.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:40 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
For those of us with higher-mileage engines, older cars, or those planning to drive them to their dieing day, yes, it probably does matter.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:23 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
This will most likely forever be debated. I've read quite a few of these threads and some opinions from some pro's. From the info I gathered, on FI cars that can take right off, is to start it up and run it until it idles down, then start driving. Don't get WOT on it, but do start driving it fairly easy. You aren't doing it any favors by idling.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Dungeon_Master
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
I tend to agree with you. Global warming or not...I'm not going to get in my truck when it's below freezing outside, crank it over, and then just let the clutch out and drive away.
I agree.
If it's freezing cold out. I am not driving with the window down and with my head sticking out to see the road. The old girls still keep kicking and I will keep warming them up.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
I have heard that also. It's not necessary to warm a vehicle up.
Would I do it? NO.

Frank

Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
The last couple of vehicles my wife has had, have recommended "non-stationary" warm-ups. Which to them meant you can get in and drive right away, but that you shouldn't put a medium or heavy load on the engine until it's warmed-up. There's no mention of a stationary warm-up being bad for the engine, they just state that warming the engine-up sitting there is a waste of gas and moving the car with a cold engine under a light load doesn't cause any harm. So in essence they're still saying you need to warm-up the engine, they just say do it putting along.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I dont think that warming up the engine is necassarily bad for your car, but most people that warm up their engine before driving off think that being the engine is warm they can just drive off like they are in a race, when in fact your transmission and rear end is still cold. I personally start the car, adjust the radio and drive off. Than again I dont live in a very cold climate either.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:58 AM
smokestone52
Elder User
Since I am a veteran automobile driver, (been driving and owning cars since 1966). I believe that it is better for your ride to warm it up a bit, especially if you are in cold weather. What has always cracked me up though, is people who start their vehicles and let them run 20 or 30 minutes before driving. I saw a lady down the street this morning do so as I walked my dog. She started the car as I walked by, then thrity minutes later as I came back by, the car was still running. And it was 52 DEGREES out this morning in Las Vegas. My goodness, some people are devoid of any grey matter in their heads at all!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:01 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Wow that really is sad smokestone52.

I start my truck, adjust whatever (radio, temp controls, stuff in the console, check my cell phone, put my seatbelt on, etc.), and then once the idle gets below 1000, drive away. But I don't get on it too much until it's hit at least 180* on the water temp gauge.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:16 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
I've been encouraging my wife to warm up her truck all winter and according to my last Blackstone report this has raised the fuel dilution a bit but no extra wear on the engine was detected. Actually for almost 10K on the OCI it looked really good.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:26 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I keep two of my vehicles in a garage and I keep my garage heated to at least 35 degrees (when it's well below zero). And my 3rd daily driver sits outside plugged in. I have to keep it plugged in or it wouldn't start. When we were having 30-40 below zero windchill the last couple of weeks, it didn't start when it was plugged in. Had to go get a new battery.

52 degrees and people are starting their cars to warm up....give me a break. If we had 52 degrees here, I'd be in shorts and out on the golf course sucking down to cold ones.
I let my vehicle that sits outside warm up a bit just to get the heater going so I'm not freezing my butt off trying to drive.

Quick Reply: Truth or not so much?