Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Turbocharged V-10

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 AM
wylecoyote
More Turbo
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
I have pics, PM me your e mail and I will send them out.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 AM
4wd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK! Check your FTE inbasket

Old 02-19-2007, 01:29 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Anyone seen (of course you have) the new turbo setups where the turbo winds up way out back near the mufflers? Interesting setup. Not much need for an intercooler with those long intake runs either.

I say HP TV (or some other motorhead show) put a setup in a 'vette. Cute setup. Nice power increase. Not much lag either.

I'm already wondering how to keep it from getting mud on it under my SD

Old 02-19-2007, 04:51 PM
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Senior User
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
Someone needs to put a turbo on there v-10. To bad there is no kit for it. I would love to here the sound of a v-10 with a flowmaster exhuast and the turbo whine . It would nv even make me think about the diesels. I love the turbo whine. haha
It's funny you shoud mention that. I've got my turbo on order right now, and should have it in a week or two. I am custom building a turbo setup on my '06 3v. I hope to have it completed in the next month or two, time permitting around my work schedule of course. I plan to start off low around about 6psi or so and progress from there if needed.

In doing some research on this, one good thing I found out is that the intercooler from a 6.0 diesel truck is a direct bolt on. The rad support is exactly the same, which is nice to not have to fab brackets etc... for it.

A good buddy of mine owns and operates a performance speed shop, that specializes in custom turbo/supercharger systems etc... dyno tuning .... He and I have talked about putting a kit together, that could be offered to fellow V-10ers, using my truck for the prototype kit.

I will be doing up a thread on this as we get working on it. Stay tuned!!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:10 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtyDogOfTheDesert
In doing some research on this, one good thing I found out is that the intercooler from a 6.0 diesel truck is a direct bolt on. The rad support is exactly the same, which is nice to not have to fab brackets etc... for it.
Now that there is an interesting tidbit ...

Without anyone really making a V10 blower kit anymore, I'm really starting to wonder about turbos...

I can probably get 'em dirt cheap, I'll have to start looking... and just when I was starting to make enough money to keep the wife happy

Old 02-19-2007, 05:27 PM
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Senior User
I was originally looking at the whipple, but when I spoke with Dustin Whipple about the 3v kit a year ago he said they would probably never bring it to market because of lack of interest. He offered to sell me a 5.4 3v kit with 2 manifolds that I would have to get someone to graft together to make it work.

The turbo setup is going to make more torque and be an easier kit to build..... I can hardly wait to get home from work to start on it next week.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:33 PM
jaybird
Senior User
I have often thought firmly that all we need is a turbo to really get some very impressive power over what our stock v10's allready give us..
The supercharger kits are good but on our v10's they are not great..
A centrufical SC would maybe wake it up with some real numbers but with the right sized turbo and the right boost we could be making remarkable history with a gas truck engine!
Modular V10 would tell the mated turbo
"Bring it on I love more CFM'S its just my game"
I think the V10 design would be so entertaining with a turbo see a turbo needs an engine built like the V10 ..

Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Jack_99V10
Senior User
1. The IC of the 6.0 diesel is a little overkill for a 6psi, or even 10psi application don't you think?

I've been pondering the turbo thing myself.. and after some banks headers, and a hacked Y pipe, the turbo could go right there, with some heat shielding, and also brush, splash shielding. This would make it extremely easy to access for repairs or inspection, or upgrading. Also, it is the natural union of the 2 sides of the motor.

How are you sizing the turbo? Are you looking at it from the aspect of a 6.8L truck motor that wants more low rpm towing grunt, or are you looking at it like a peak HP, high rpm ripper?

2. My other, cheaper, consideration, was to install a centrifugal blower from a smaller mod motor by modifying the charge pipe, the mounting hardware, and custom belt. I honestly think this would be very easy... very very easy.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:30 PM
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jack_99V10
1. The IC of the 6.0 diesel is a little overkill for a 6psi, or even 10psi application don't you think?

I've been pondering the turbo thing myself.. and after some banks headers, and a hacked Y pipe, the turbo could go right there, with some heat shielding, and also brush, splash shielding. This would make it extremely easy to access for repairs or inspection, or upgrading. Also, it is the natural union of the 2 sides of the motor.

How are you sizing the turbo? Are you looking at it from the aspect of a 6.8L truck motor that wants more low rpm towing grunt, or are you looking at it like a peak HP, high rpm ripper?

2. My other, cheaper, consideration, was to install a centrifugal blower from a smaller mod motor by modifying the charge pipe, the mounting hardware, and custom belt. I honestly think this would be very easy... very very easy.
The diesel intercooler is overkill, however it's not that much money. Less than $600 CDN for a new one, and there are many take-offs around from 6.0 guys upgrading to the banks unit, that can be had alot cheaper than that. The install on the intercooler is just a bolt in also.

There are many factors going into sizing, but my plans are definately more towards low end pulling power and not high RPM screaming. The truck will never run 10's.

Going with a centri would be a fairly easy install, especially that Procharger makes a kit for the F-150 5.4, but the characteristics of a turbo make way more torque than a centri, or even a twin screw or roots style blower.

I've got a Procharger now on my '05 mustang and it currently makes 550rwhp, and only 460rwtq, and thats at 13 psi at 6500rpm. My V-10 will never see that.