Sponsored by:

Why not to install 6" lift??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
rwjr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not to install 6" lift??

I had a 78 that I sold back in 2002. when I bought it, it already lifted 9". 6 on the suspension and 3 on the body. I cannot remember why I said I would never get/lift another bronco 6". I do not remember why I decided that. I remember the frame broke at the steering box, but I think that was more a combination of the lift and 39s. seems like something under the truck was messed up, but I can't remember.
What are the bad points of a 6" suspension lift? it may have been something I read. I plan to use the Superlift system, which will entail front and rear springs, adjustable track bar, extended lines, radius arm drop brackets, drop pitman, and bushings. I would also buy the adjustable drag link.

maybe it's the shaft angles???? don't they get too extreme with that much lift?

I'm not too worried about length. the one I had before was fine, and I'm going to use my passenger car 1330 yoke when I put the 4.10s in. it's an inch longer, so that'll take up any possible length conflict. i almost think angles aren't it, because I never crapped a u-joint.

any ideas??

Old 02-13-2007, 06:33 PM
rwjr
Senior User
on that superlift kit, doesn't it raise the rear less than the front to "level" the truck? if so, would you suggest cutting a 1/4-1/2 turn from each coil, or adding a 1" block to the rear?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:02 AM
abnormloffrd
Junior User
angles are horrible w/6 and a nine inch rear the pinnion sits real low can be fixed w/ a currie high pinion 3rd and gears other than that no probs w your route the lift does lift more in the frnt but thats to level out the heavy rake these trucks had and to counter act the fact coils sag more and quicker than leaves.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 PM
rwjr
Senior User
must've been the shaft angles then. that's all I can seem to think it could have possibly been.i don't know why I wasso certain that i'd never own a bronco with 6" suspension lift. they also make high-angle drivelines. i'll probably just use good joints and the 1" longer pinion yoke and call it good. again, i never shat a u-joint on my other big one.

I've seen a bunch of pics of 78/79 with 4" lift and 35s. looks like too much tire.

wonder if 35x14.50 would put way more stress than 12.50 and break the frame on this one like on the one I had with 39s??

last, how long do the superlift kits take to level out? i'll just use 1" blocks until the front sags a little.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
bigbeise
Freshman User
i just put a 6 inch lift on my 82 bronco and the only prob was drive shaft angle, and the fact that i wish the drive shaft was a little longer. the slip yoke is out quite a ways with the stock sheft.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 6" lift on my 79, and I think the front driveshaft angle is alittle steep.
It is acceptable, but could cause binding if you don't have a cv joint.

Other than that, there isn't a problem with a 6" lift, and all you would need to go with your lift is a set of extended brake lines.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 PM
rwjr
Senior User
excellent. brake lines come with the kit.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:57 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
drive shafts and lines are trivial . You can get custom shafts etc. I have found and I drive my truck upwards 500 miles week that any thing over 4"is a bear to keep on road no matter the kit.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:59 PM
bronco521
Elder User
mine has a 6" skyjacker softride.the only thing i don't like is the radius arm drop brackets.they are a spacer between the bracket and the frame.i have seen other lifts that come with a 1 pc radius arm mount with drop built in to it.

as far as driveshaft angles,i put a tranny in out of a truck and it has a shorter adapter than the bronco one.the truck one was 6" and the bronco one was 9",if memory serves me.this helps both the rear angle and the front.i don't run a cv in the front shaft and the angle looks about perfect.havent broken a front driveshaft in a long time,knock on wood.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:43 PM
abnormloffrd
Junior User
Originally Posted by bronco521
mine has a 6" skyjacker softride.the only thing i don't like is the radius arm drop brackets.they are a spacer between the bracket and the frame.i have seen other lifts that come with a 1 pc radius arm mount with drop built in to it.

as far as driveshaft angles,i put a tranny in out of a truck and it has a shorter adapter than the bronco one.the truck one was 6" and the bronco one was 9",if memory serves me.this helps both the rear angle and the front.i don't run a cv in the front shaft and the angle looks about perfect.havent broken a front driveshaft in a long time,knock on wood.
you can elimnate the drob brackets by installing 4 degree energy suspesinsion C bushings

Old 02-18-2007, 11:45 PM
bronco521
Elder User
yes you can but i like the radius arms to be as parallel with the frame as possible.doesn't seem right to me with them pointing down like that,plus it pulls the axle back a little bit.

bds makes some one pc drop brackets,i just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Last edited by bronco521; 02-18-2007 at 11:48 PM.