Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just returned from a road trip and Rotors are warped.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just returned from a road trip and Rotors are warped.....

Well as you saw from the title my rotors are warped at 28,000 miles. I am driving a 04 6.0 4x4 Ex. Any of you replace your rotors with aftermarket better performing rotors and pads?? I don't really care about better performance, I just want to get rid of all of the rotor warpage that seems to happen much to often. The info would be much appreciated.......
Thanks!!
Scottman

Old 02-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Yep...common problem. Do a search of the PSD forum or the Super Duty forums and you'll see quite a few posts regarding warped rotors.

I got tired of the repeated resurfacing of my front rotors. I replaced them with cryo treated Powerslot rotors and Hawk LTS pads.

The cryo treatment resists warpage very well.

Call Mark at DPPI for a great deal.

Stewart

Old 02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
S_Harvey,

How long have you had those rotors on? Do you tow at all? How many miles on your rotors? Where did you buy them? Lots of questions, I have to get my brakes done before this March so I am trying to figure out what I am going to buy..........Thanks for the info.....

Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by scottman70
S_Harvey,

How long have you had those rotors on? Do you tow at all? How many miles on your rotors? Where did you buy them? Lots of questions, I have to get my brakes done before this March so I am trying to figure out what I am going to buy..........Thanks for the info.....
Mark at DPPI. He gave me a great deal.

The rotors have been on since December, and yes, we tow a 4-horse bumper pull.

With the old rotors, no matter how often I had them turned, nothing could prevent the warped feeling that occurred from just regular, daily driving. Now, with the cryo'd Powerslots, they feel perfect, even with the trailer attached.

Do a few searches here and at TDS and you'll find a few people with quite a few thousand miles on their cryo Powerslots, and they tow heavy loads.

Stewart

Old 02-02-2007, 10:32 PM
H1449-6
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
My front rotors feel a little warped also.

Is replacing them a pretty simple job? I am a novice as a mechanic. Most complicated thing I have done to date was installing new shocks.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 PM
DS3
Junior User
I've got another silly question- with the cryo'd powerslots do you just never have to resurface the rotors?

Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 PM
bad x
New User
so i a vibes in the rear of my x around 70 to 80 mph has anybody had any problems with the rear changed wheels and tires but that did not work any ideas or should i just sell it

Old 02-03-2007, 01:38 AM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought my rotors were warped after a trip from California to Colorado. Braking on grades in the Rockies the whole truck would shake really bad. But then after getting home it went away. It has come and gone a few times. Make sure yours are warped before spending the money. I dont know what is up with my X but it sure felt like warped rotors but they dont come unwarped on there own? Maybe something funny with the ABS system?

Old 02-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MadMedic20
I thought my rotors were warped...Braking on grades in the Rockies the whole truck would shake really bad. But then after getting home it went away. It has come and gone a few times....it sure felt like warped rotors but they dont come unwarped on there own?
IIRC from reading on the forums, the rotors don't actually warp like a record gets warped from being in the sun, but rather, they develop hot spots which causes an uneven braking surface.

These hot spots become more apparent when the brakes are used heavily, or more frequently, because the heat causes the spots to become more distinct from the rest of the rotor, and that's what causes the vibration/brake pedal shimmy.

This explanation fits the symptoms my Excursion displayed, the same symptoms you described in the above quote.

Coming down a grade, the shimmy would be terrible. Other times it was barely noticeable. And with the trailer attached, fuhgetaboutit.

Now, with the cryo Powerslots and Hawk pads, it's smooth as glass, even coming down a grade, with the trailer hooked up.

Stewart

Old 02-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by DS3
I've got another silly question- with the cryo'd powerslots do you just never have to resurface the rotors?
Rule of thumb applies to these rotors the same as others, so when the time comes, yes, you still need to surface the rotor and make it true. That will also help to properly bed-in the new pads you'll be installing.

Over the years I've heard a lot of guys say rotors don't always need to be turned when you replace the pads.

In my opinion, they should always be turned. It all comes down to how a man has been taught. If his teacher was religious when it came to resurfacing the rotor, then the student continue that practice. If the teacher doesn't believe rotors and drums always need to be turned, then the student will believe in that school of thought.

Stewart

Last edited by S_Harvey; 02-03-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
DS3,

If you get the cyro'ed rotors it's likely you'll never need to turn them, but if you want they can be turned and not lose the cyro process as it is a process that goes all the way thru the material 100%. Turning will need to be done SLOOOOOwly as compared to the quickie jobs you get at most stores as the Powerslots have slots and the speed of cutter travel when turning has to be slow or the cutter will jump when it hits the slots etc. As S Harvey said call us if you have any questions on the Powerslots or Hawk pads.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 AM
boertje
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark at DPPI
DS3,

If you get the cyro'ed rotors it's likely you'll never need to turn them, but if you want they can be turned and not lose the cyro process as it is a process that goes all the way thru the material 100%. Turning will need to be done SLOOOOOwly as compared to the quickie jobs you get at most stores as the Powerslots have slots and the speed of cutter travel when turning has to be slow or the cutter will jump when it hits the slots etc. As S Harvey said call us if you have any questions on the Powerslots or Hawk pads.

Mark @ DPPI
Called you yesterday and spoke to Jason and he was very helpful to answer my questions. I was bummed to learn that you were out of stock and that these rotors take time to get. Heck, most don't even stock these things to begin with. I will call next week to place the order anyway since sometimes the brakes shudder badly and other times slightly or not at all just as Stewart mentions above.