1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cigarette lighter socket removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:45 AM
MattE303
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erniek70
so, after the thread was highjacked, I never saw an answer to the initial question. I have a 2005 SD....how do I remove the lighter socket? A special T-shaped tool? Push, and twist from inside the dash? I removed the panty hook panel, to gain access to the back of the socket, and have pushed on the socket with a great deal of force, with no luck. How does it come out? Push, and twist? Does socket and black plastic bezel come out together, initially, and then disassemble afterwards?
Would be great if someone could answer this, I need to replace mine and can't figure out how it comes out either, doesn't seem to twist out. Mine is an '02 F350. There is no "outer cover" that twists out as was suggested, just the lighter socket with the black plastic bezel that you can see from the front, exactly as ernie described, wiring plugs into the back of the socket. It almost seems like you could push it out from the back, it moves a little, then won't go any further, like ernie, I'm afraid to force it too much.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 AM
erniek70
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was able to pull it out...takes a lot of force. I could not get the leverage to push from behind. Was able to, though, have enough gap around the plastic bezel, to wrap some wire around it, then create a loop/handle to pull it out. No, I was not successful at getting the bezel off of the old one, the transfer to the new one. Feared I might damage it...so I bought a new plastic bezel too. It is up to you if you can try and remove the old bezel.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 06-12-2017, 12:04 PM
MattE303
New User
I was able to pull it out...takes a lot of force. I could not get the leverage to push from behind. Was able to, though, have enough gap around the plastic bezel, to wrap some wire around it, then create a loop/handle to pull it out. No, I was not successful at getting the bezel off of the old one, the transfer to the new one. Feared I might damage it...so I bought a new plastic bezel too. It is up to you if you can try and remove the old bezel.
thanks for the info. Were you able to remove the wire plug from the lighter socket before pulling the socket out of the dash? I can't get the wire plug out either with the socket still in the dash.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:09 PM
MattE303
New User
just saw this after I replied to ernie, thanks! gonna try the suggestions in that thread tonight!

Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 PM
erniek70
Mountain Pass
Did it after pulling everything from hole in dash. Could then easily see what I was doing. Trying to do it before hand, could not really feel where the locking tab was, as I did not know how the socket was oriented from the factory, in the opening.

The wire I was used was 14ga. household solid wire with the rubber insulation still on it, so I would not scar the plastic bezel.

It took a lot of effort to pull through! I think there is a way to remove the bezel, but I did not have the patience! Kind of need three hands to do it....not sure if the special GM T-shaped socket removal tool would work, or not. Could also make it possible to remove from dash, and leave bezel in place...but tool cost as much as a new bezel.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:18 PM
MattE303
New User
Did it after pulling everything from hole in dash. Could then easily see what I was doing. Trying to do it before hand, could not really feel where the locking tab was, as I did not know how the socket was oriented from the factory, in the opening.

The wire I was used was 14ga. household solid wire with the rubber insulation still on it, so I would not scar the plastic bezel.

It took a lot of effort to pull through! I think there is a way to remove the bezel, but I did not have the patience! Kind of need three hands to do it....not sure if the special GM T-shaped socket removal tool would work, or not. Could also make it possible to remove from dash, and leave bezel in place...but tool cost as much as a new bezel.
thanks! The other thread that Sam I Am linked seems to indicate that if you tilt the socket down and push, it should come out. I'm gonna try it tonight and will report back.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:25 PM
erniek70
Mountain Pass
where is the socket on an '02? On my '05, I removed the panty hook to gain access to try and reach in behind to push it out. I just could not get the leverage to push it out (translation I am not strong enough?)....

Old 06-12-2017, 01:33 PM
MattE303
New User
where is the socket on an '02? On my '05, I removed the panty hook to gain access to try and reach in behind to push it out. I just could not get the leverage to push it out (translation I am not strong enough?)....
on my 02 the socket is just to the left of the panty hook panel (same as yours I believe). If I'm reading the other thread correctly, it sounds like there's a couple of tabs that hold it in place, but if you tilt it the right way, those tabs will clear and you can push it out, presumably without a lot of force, at least that's how it sounds to me, maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'll give it a try tonight.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:25 AM
MattE303
New User
Originally Posted by MattE303
on my 02 the socket is just to the left of the panty hook panel (same as yours I believe). If I'm reading the other thread correctly, it sounds like there's a couple of tabs that hold it in place, but if you tilt it the right way, those tabs will clear and you can push it out, presumably without a lot of force, at least that's how it sounds to me, maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'll give it a try tonight.
got mine out this morning. if you push down on the back of cylinder (causing the front to tilt up) while you are pushing out, it pops out pretty easily. The socket and the black bezel come out together without damaging anything. Now I gotta figure out how to get the socket out of the bezel though, must be a trick to that too!

Old 05-08-2018, 04:09 PM
LilCub
New User
1996 Ford Explorer Sport Cigarette Lighter Removal

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 standard 5 speed. I can’t find any information on how to remove and replace the cigarette lighter located on the dash next to the ash tray. It has its own flip down cover to access the lighter. I can’t find any info on how to remove and replace. Please help.