Sponsored by: DP Tuner

5" exhaust install ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5" exhaust install ?

My 5" system arrived yesterday from MKO and I'm going to install it either today or tomorrow. Do I need to remove the trans crossmember to install the new downpipe? It looks like a nice kit and pretty straight forward to install. Now to see if I can get the truck in the garage

Old 01-27-2007, 09:30 AM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope, just take your time and finesse it up there. I gotter done in about an hour and a helf with a helper for installing the downpipe

Old 01-27-2007, 09:46 AM
ponch37300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your not going to keep the stock exhaust then just cut away at it, i think i cut mine into 3-4 peices and you won't have to remove to cross member or anything. Installation is pretty easy, i have a 5" and mine vibrated against a bolt from a heat sheild right under the passenger seat. There are two bolts that hang down from this heat sheild so if your exhaust is close to touching them make sure you cut the bolts off cause that vibration is anoying.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:04 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrads on the 5" is it strait piped??? just hang every thing up make sure it dont touch any thing then tighten down the clamps..i have a mko as well.painted mine black with stove paint to keep it from rusting..so far so good and it blends right in under there..only problem i had the washers on the hangers would jingle at idle..very anoying..put some form a gasket or some kind of heat silacone between the washer and the cotter pin to keep them from rattleing around..good luck on the install and have fun

Old 01-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
congrads on the 5" is it strait piped???
Yes it is.

just hang every thing up make sure it dont touch any thing then tighten down the clamps..
This is exactly what we did. The install was very easy and only took about 1 1/2 hours to remove the old and install the new. This also included about 15 minutes for supper.

i have a mko as well.painted mine black with stove paint to keep it from rusting..so far so good and it blends right in under there..
That's a good idea. I may do that in a week or two, after the oil get's burned off.

only problem i had the washers on the hangers would jingle at idle..very anoying..put some form a gasket or some kind of heat silacone between the washer and the cotter pin to keep them from rattleing around..good luck on the install and have fun
I noticed this rattle right away. Sounds like the 2nd or 3rd clamp washer was rattling, right behind the cab. I really like the sound. Had to go for a drive after the install. It feel quite a bit more responsive and the sound I can already see the fuel guage moving down.

Tomorrow, the guages go in.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
glad you got it in....isnt that the best sound you ever heard???i still grin when i fire up my truck every time...good luck on the gauges...take your time..if you get frustrated just walk away and then try it again...

Old 01-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

I had an idea what it would sound like, but was floored when I first heard it fire. Closest thing I've heard(from a Powerstroke anyway) is a friend of mine has a 4" system with a muffler. I bet he'll be deleting that muffler when he hears mine.

I'll be wiring the guage pod up in the comfort of the house, it's -12F here this morning.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by ponch37300
If your not going to keep the stock exhaust then just cut away at it, i think i cut mine into 3-4 peices and you won't have to remove to cross member or anything. Installation is pretty easy, i have a 5" and mine vibrated against a bolt from a heat sheild right under the passenger seat. There are two bolts that hang down from this heat sheild so if your exhaust is close to touching them make sure you cut the bolts off cause that vibration is anoying.

We ended up with 4 pieces, downpipe, pipe between DP and muffler, muffler and tail pipe. That 4" downpipe slid right in with no work at all, I was expecting a fight. I cut all the bolts off for that heat shield, just so I had no rub issues.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:35 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
sure does make it nice working where it is warm...i just went out and snapped the heat on in the garage..i need to fix my tractor to go snow blowing and hoping too have time to put im oil presure and coolent temp gauge in..i see you got the phantoms too..i love mine..i put in the blue LED lights..my cluster on the dash is all blue..i didnt know till after i got mine installed but amiller has the phantom's II look just like ours but at night the nombers light up..i like that alot better..