6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Engine Block heater and PSD 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 PM
ejsmass2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Block heater and PSD 6.0

I got the engine block heater cord put in my PSD last week and started it for the first time today since. Its about 10 out and the truck has been sitting for a week. It was plugged in overnight. How hard should it be to start. It seemed to hesitate more than I can ever remember but this is also the coldest weather we have had since I have owned the truck. It was Zero last night. I guess I expected an easy start and immediate heat from the heater. Am I expecting too much or do I have a problem with the engine block heater?

Regards,
ted
05 f350 psd 6.0 with banks big hoss bundle

Old 01-26-2007, 01:27 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(Moved to 6.0L PSD section.)

Old 01-26-2007, 01:37 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plug it in tonight... Open the hood in the morning and feel the top of the engine, it should be warm. If it isn't, you have a problem.
FWIW The glowplug indicator light should stay on for about 3 seconds when using the block heater.
Good luck

Last edited by utahtom; 01-26-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:49 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
You shouldn't need to plug it in. I'm right up the road from you. I haven't yet and it hasn't hesitated a bit. I'm tempted to tonight though. It's supposed to dip into the negative numbers. Could be something to do with your mods.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:51 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
FWIW, I hope I don't eat my words in a few hours when I go to start it to drive home from work... it's been sitting out in the parking lot since early this morning. The wind is really blowing out there right now... 7 degrees and guaranteed less than zero with the windchill.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:03 PM
ejsmass2
New User
I would be interested to know what your experience is when you try your truck today

Originally Posted by sgthawkusmc
FWIW, I hope I don't eat my words in a few hours when I go to start it to drive home from work... it's been sitting out in the parking lot since early this morning. The wind is really blowing out there right now... 7 degrees and guaranteed less than zero with the windchill.
I would love to hear how easy you start this afternoon. I also had not run the truck in a week so its not apples to apples but I would like to hear how it goes for you.

ted

Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
I have a 05 6oh, and with plugging it in over night, I too still have issues with it wanting to start in 10 degree or less weather. So what your saying is the block itself on the top half of the engine should be warm to the touch? I am going to be able to test that this weekend with the cold front moving in.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:13 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ejsmass2
I would love to hear how easy you start this afternoon. I also had not run the truck in a week so its not apples to apples but I would like to hear how it goes for you.

ted
I'll try to remember. I do know today won't be a remote start day. I want to be in it to hear what's going on... hopefully it will be uneventful.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:34 PM
03flhtcui
New User
starts good

I live in NH and we were zero this am and i did not have the excursion plugged in. (I usually don't till at least -10 and then only put it on a timer for 2 hours) I activated the remote starter and it fired right up after the 17 sec delay. It stumbled and missed a few beats for a min but then it smoothed out and ran great.
I must admit though it starts 1000% better warm or cold since the last flash.
2005 6.0l Excursion
37500 miles
Stock

Old 01-26-2007, 02:52 PM
00excdiesel
Junior User
i plug mine in 24/7 in the winter but then again it gets to be -40 degrees celsius which is about -40 degrees Fahrenheit. it still starts at that temp but i run 5-40 full syn. rattles a bit but dont they all! i just ordered a stick on pan heater for the oil pan. a 125 watt one from wolverine. my buddy has one on his and the thing is unbelievable. for the amount of time i leave mine plugged in i am going to use just that without the block heater. the heat travels up as it normally would, warming the whole engine. besides, if you think about it, isnt it silly to heat the anifreeze near the top when what you really want warmed up is the oil? try plugging in your truck for a few hours then go feel the oil pan. betcha thats cold! not so with a pan heater. just dont get too big so as to burn the oil. the block heater on the average car is 1200 watts where-as the oil pan heater is 125 watts. seems like energy savings to me!
just a thought
clarence

Old 01-26-2007, 03:08 PM
03flhtcui
New User
Engine heater variety

Oh I agree with the pan heater theory. I'm a retired long distance trucker and we used to run up to alaska with drilling mud etc out of texas. We always used block heaters down here except for the Dakotas and northern mn where we used block and pan heaters. Now this is with a 44 qt pan min. so it took a lot of heat, way more than our 15 qts do!!!!
Now, in the yukon, we simply left them running as the only elec source was our on board generator.
Now the best part, In Alaska(especially on the haul rd and prudoe bay), we simply "plugged the radiator in" as this would also give you instant starts but also instant heat output from the heater. The added plus was no wear and tear on the engine and gaskets warming up as they were already 180deg F.
All of our trucks were equiped with a Quick disconnect on the upper and lower hoses and both the yukon river truckstop and Coldfoot had water heaters full of a 65% antifreeze mix that we plugged into.
Sorry for the long post but i've always said i was going to do that here at the house as it is real simple, but i guess i got lazy in retirement.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:21 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
i live in new hampshire also, my truck had been sitting all week too. but got in it this afternoon and it started up no problem, and it wasant plugged in temp guage in truck said it was 5 degrees out.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:32 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordextreme
So what your saying is the block itself on the top half of the engine should be warm to the touch?
Yes, if plugged in all night the top of the engine will be warm to the touch and snow will melt off the hood... provided temps aren't brutally cold (-20F).

Old 01-26-2007, 03:57 PM
hackwillie
Junior User
Originally Posted by 03flhtcui
Oh I agree with the pan heater theory. I'm a retired long distance trucker and we used to run up to alaska with drilling mud etc out of texas. We always used block heaters down here except for the Dakotas and northern mn where we used block and pan heaters. Now this is with a 44 qt pan min. so it took a lot of heat, way more than our 15 qts do!!!!
Now, in the yukon, we simply left them running as the only elec source was our on board generator.
Now the best part, In Alaska(especially on the haul rd and prudoe bay), we simply "plugged the radiator in" as this would also give you instant starts but also instant heat output from the heater. The added plus was no wear and tear on the engine and gaskets warming up as they were already 180deg F.
All of our trucks were equiped with a Quick disconnect on the upper and lower hoses and both the yukon river truckstop and Coldfoot had water heaters full of a 65% antifreeze mix that we plugged into.
Sorry for the long post but i've always said i was going to do that here at the house as it is real simple, but i guess i got lazy in retirement.
My dad has a small logging outfit with a processor and a forwarder. Both machines were made in Sweden so they were set up for cold weather. The last forwarder they were running had a little two cylinder diesel engine in it (not sure of the displacement but i know it was small) that was set on a timer. You could set it to start up an hour or so before you got there and it would circulate the coolant and warm the engine for you. Neat little option. Of course this is on a $350,000 machine. My uncle, who ran the forwarder, always made fun of me on cold mornings while I was loading trucks in the shovel with no heater at all.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
Then im thinking I might have a bad cord, Ive been plugging mine in with the cold weather here in colorado, and Havent had any beniffit for plugging it in. Im going to check it for sure in the morning. thank you,