Sponsored by:

New guy with questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Patnoel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with questions

Hello, My friend recommended this site. I just rolled my 01 F-250 XLT 7.3PS short bed 4X4 crew cab and he is the recipient of the salvage. My wife and I survived without a scratch. (Ice on I-5 N Weed, CA). I want an '06 or '07 and I'm looking for feedback. I notice the '02 7.3 cost more than many of the '04s. I've heard some terrible things about the Power-Stroke 6.0's. The thought of a Dodge or Chevy bums me out! Kirk

Old 01-23-2007, 06:32 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
... Thread Moved...

I hope you can find the answers your looking for in here!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Test drive them and see how you like the 6.0L. By '05 most of the bugs have been worked out.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both the 06 and 07 are excellent choices. If I had mo money, I'd buy another in a heart beat and wouldn't even think twice about it.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Patnoel
New User
Thanks Pocket and Wannabe. You guys are saying things I want to hear and believe. My Ford mechanics told me to stick with the 2002 7.3 (best one!) due to 6.0 turbo troubles. The Ford dealership salesman said with honesty (rare with car salesman?) that consistency has been a problem. Some of his customers are happy, some have nothing but headaches. While in the showroom, I talked to a couple of 2005 6.0 owners having routine service. They expressed satisfaction and are dreaming about the 2008 King Ranch. The cosmetic upgrades to the 08 front grill etc are awesome. I'm concerned about the DPF (diesel particulate filter) dealer service requirement every 100K miles and the effect the increased emissions equipment will have on performance and reliability. Never mind the $58K out the door price tag. Incentives - rebates not allowed. Ouch! Salesman also told me the 08 cab must be removed for any engine work! Wow! I'm new to internet forums/chat. I wish I had found you guys along time ago. Anyone out there with a negative 6.0 final warning before I pull the trigger on a 2007 King Ranch?

Old 01-26-2007, 05:33 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,289 Likes on 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Patnoel
Anyone out there with a negative 6.0 final warning before I pull the trigger on a 2007 King Ranch?
DON'T BUY ONE!!!
once you get it home, you will want to dress it up.
then you will want a bigger exhaust.
then you will want more power.
then your wife will find out how much money you spent on addons, and either kill you, or divorce you and take the truck, just to tick you off, and you will be back walking like you are now.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I would stay away from 03 thru mid 04 as some have had problems BUT most if not all have been resolved. The 6.0 is a tow vehicle for sure. Just give it good clean fuel, change the oil and hang on for a great ride. Check my signature below for how ours is equiped. Loved ours and yes it has its share of problems. But what mechanical thing doesn't?

Old 01-26-2007, 09:33 PM
REELNAUTI4U
Senior User
I just purchsed 07 f250 king ranch with a 6.0 l ......I was really hung on the new 6.4 , and then it hit me....new engine , complications, seems like it will be more finicky. I then proceded and purchased this new 07 for 10k less. I am usually the type that has to have the latest and greatest new body style , but the more I look into things the better decision I think I have made. I like the idea of being able to use any type of diesel fuel, having a proven engine and body style. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy even if it is not the 08.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Patnoel
New User
TJC Transport: Too funny...and TRUE!
BIGREDTRUCKMI: Were your problems connected to the turbo variable vanes? Also, I've never had a moon or sun roof. Have you or anyone else had leak issues? If not, is there any reason why you wouldn't order a moon roof again?
REELNAUTI4U: I like and agree with your reasoning. Just curious, what exterior color did you choose and why? I like white because it seems to be the easiest to keep clean the longest. Black?? Looks sharp but, I've been there, dusted that!

Old 01-28-2007, 04:04 AM
Patnoel
New User
Hey Pocket, I just checked out your pictures. Very cool truck. Some very cool add ons too! Dirt in the bed? Are you crazy? Just because its a truck doesn't mean you should use it like one! lol I didn't see an RV or trailer. Personally, when I bought my '01 it was to pull a 5th wheel. Never got around to buying one so I never towed and doubt if I ever will. (Tow? Whats wrong with you?? Its my personal rig! And aren't you standing to close to my truck!!) Anyone else willing to admit you would buy one of these even if you weren't going to tow anything or am I just a diesel loving lunatic?

Old 01-28-2007, 04:31 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Pocket, I just checked out your pictures. Very cool truck. Some very cool add ons too! Dirt in the bed? Are you crazy? Just because its a truck doesn't mean you should use it like one! lol I didn't see an RV or trailer. Personally, when I bought my '01 it was to pull a 5th wheel. Never got around to buying one so I never towed and doubt if I ever will. (Tow? Whats wrong with you?? Its my personal rig! And aren't you standing to close to my truck!!) Anyone else willing to admit you would buy one of these even if you weren't going to tow anything or am I just a diesel loving lunatic?

just a diesel loving lunatic.....nothing wrong with that!!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:18 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
BIGREDTRUCKMI: Were your problems connected to the turbo variable vanes? Also, I've never had a moon or sun roof. Have you or anyone else had leak issues? If not, is there any reason why you wouldn't order a moon roof again?
That was one of the problems (turbo vanes). I had both engine wiring harnesses done, had transmission recall done.

Moon roof has never leaked. Just have to be careful it is properly seated and there is no leaves or contaminates on the seal prior to shutting. The main reason I might not order the moon roof is the cost. Love it during the spring and fall.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Patnoel
New User
Turbo, wiring and transmission...Yikes! Talk about sleepless nights. I'm glad to hear everything eventually worked out. Ford should give you a free truck just for your loyalty.

Thanks for moon roof tips.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone else willing to admit you would buy one of these even if you weren't going to tow anything
Yes. Next question, please?

or am I just a diesel loving lunatic?
Same here.

-blaine

Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 AM
Gunner15a
Elder User
My 06 6.0 is the first diesel vehicle that I've ever owned. Bone stock, and never had a minutes problems with it that weren't dealer induced.........

I call mine "The Warhorse"

Would I own another one? You betcha. In a hot New York minute.

Gunner15

Quick Reply: New guy with questions