Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

overhead console installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:48 AM
jbwilli
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
overhead console installation

I am installing an overhead console in a 1997 Exp Sport.
The truck came without an overhead console.
I have obtained an OEM overhead console with complete uncut wiring harness.

Problem: I have been told the wiring harness routes from the console, down the drivers side A pillar and turns under and behind the dash at the fuse panel, eventually terminating into a connector. I cannot see this hidden connector.
Too many wire bundles and other items packed into this area. Appears I will have to pull the instrument cluster and possible entire dash to see this area.

There is a smiliar harness already in the A pillar which appears to come from the connector I am hunting, goes up the drivers side A pillar and under the headliner. I feel sure it goes to the existing passenger compartment overhead light, the rear cargo overhead light and the sunvisor/mirror lights.

Qeustions: Anyone out there familair with adding and wiring an overhead console? I want to use the OEM harness I obtained with the unit. It has 8 wires and I know what each does. The existing harness in the truck appears to only house the wiring for the 2 existing overhead lights and the sunvisor mirrors.

1) How do you gain access to the hidden plug in for the harness?...pull instrument cluster...dash...both???
2) Do I have to remove the existing harness and plug in the new one?
3) If I install the new harness, it treminates into the overhead console with no provisions to run power to the exsitng 2 overhead lights and the sunvisor mirrors. If so, it appears I may have to take both harnesses and make one to go to all the units in the truck.
4) Is it possible that there are 2 harnesses that are to be run up the drivers side A pillar? ...in other words, you leave the exising harness in place than runs the 2 existing overhead lights and sun visor mirrors, and add the 2nd harness that runs the overhead console?....this would mean there would have to a second plug (currently unused plug), behind the dash!

I have a bad feeling, there is not a second unused plug behind the dash. It appears I will have to combine both harnesses into one to pull this off and stay close to OEM set up. I do not want to run a bunch of single wires to the overhead console.

Of course, I could answer most all of these questions by obtaining a wring diagram from Ford Dealer. I will probably end up there. The wiring diagrams in the Hayes and Chilton Manuals don't show overhead console wiring at all.

ps. I also have a 1997 XLT that has an overhead console. I can only see one harness going up the drivers side A pillar that connects to all the overhead units...console, the 2 overhead compartment lights and the sun visor mirrors.
At least I have this to look at as a pattern of where I want to end up, but this means taking it apart...oh well, amazin'; what lenghts one will go to, to spruce up their truck!!

Thanks in advance for any comments/help.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the overhead loom 13A709 plugs into loom 14A630, problem is your loom 14A630 does not have the plug for the 13A709 to plug into. Ford has 22 14A630 looms listed and more then likely your loom does not have the plug for the overhead console loom to plug into.

Ed

Old 01-22-2007, 12:10 PM
jbwilli
Cross-Country
Thanks very much for the info Ed!
If I understand you correctly, the 1997 Explorers with an overhead console (just like my 1997 XLT, and unlike my 1997 Sport that I am trying to add the overhead console to), the harness (loom) that runs up the drivers side A pillar needs to have another plug that splits off it for the overhead console loom to plug into???

Can you tell me how to access the plug in point for the loom that starts near firewall and behind the fuse panel for that A pillar loom? Looks like it is hidden near the main firewall harness plug?

THANKS AGAIN!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
here you go.

Originally Posted by jbwilli
Thanks very much for the info Ed!
If I understand you correctly, the 1997 Explorers with an overhead console (just like my 1997 XLT, and unlike my 1997 Sport that I am trying to add the overhead console to), the harness (loom) that runs up the drivers side A pillar needs to have another plug that splits off it for the overhead console loom to plug into??? YES

Can you tell me how to access the plug in point for the loom that starts near firewall and behind the fuse panel for that A pillar loom? Looks like it is hidden near the main firewall harness plug?

It looks like it plugs into the seat wiring harrness and there is a plugin that is near the "A" pillar, the loom plugs into that and runs up to the front of the headliner and then you plug console loom into that wire harness. if you send me your email I'll send you a parts catalog picture that will let you see what I'm seeing.

Ed

parts@y2kford.com

THANKS AGAIN!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:17 PM
jbwilli
Cross-Country
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP TODAY!
MY EMAIL IS bennie.williams@nwa.com
I will try and email you a pic of what I pruchased, with pic of wiring harness.
I have been looking all over the internet, tyring to find wiring diagram or even better a pic or illustration of the harness.

I REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND EFFORT TODAY!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:27 AM
jbwilli
Cross-Country
LONG STORY SHORT. IF YOU NEED HELP ON AN ISSUE WITH A FORD, YOU MUST CONTACT ED AT MILLENNUIM FORD (Parts@millenniumford.com ) , AMBAUM BLVD SW, SEATTLE WA 98166.
HERE I WAS SITTING AS FAR AWAY AS ONE CAN IMAGINE FROM SEATLLE (ATLANTA, GEORGIA..WHAT 3500 MILES AWAY??), WHEN ED COMES ON LINE TO HELP ME WITH THE INSTALL OF AN OVERHEAD CONSOLE INTO A MY 1997 EXP SPORT. HE COVERED ME UP WITH INFO...HARNESS ROUTE DRAWINGS, ELECTRICAL WIRING DIAGRAMS...YOU NAME IT, HE HAD IT!...AND HE EMAILED IT TO ME FASTER THAN I COULD ASK FOR IT. YOU GUYS/GALS LIVING IN SEATTLE SHOULD BE PROUD OF THE SUPPORT MILLENNIUM FORD HAS TO OFFER! BE SURE & CONTACT MILLENNIUM FORD IN SEATTLE FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS AND PURCHASES. WHAT A BREATH OF FRESH AIR..GETTING A FORD DEALER PARTS GURU TO SUPPORT YOU VS GIVING YOU THE OLE COLD SHOULDER LIKE MOST FORD PARTS COUNTER GUYS DO!

...IF YOU ARE INSTALLING AN OVERHEAD CONSOLE INTO AN EXPLORER THAT NEvER HAD ONE BEFORE, YOU ARE IN FOR A SURPRISE! FORD HAD MANY DIFFERENT COMBOS OF WIRING HARNESSES THAT MAY OR MAY NOT MAKE YOUR PROJECT A "PLUG AND PLAY" PROJECT! CONTACT ED AT MILLENNIUM FORD IN SEATTLE FOR BEST ANSWERS...AND IF YOU NEED TO PURCHASE A FORD DEALER ITEM ...GET IT FROM ED!...HE DESERVES IT FOR ALL THE SUPPORT HE OFFERS!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:31 PM
91-Exploder
Junior User
Check out the "Serious Explorations" Explorer board and search for posts from
BIG COUNTRY he has instructions for adding all the deluxe toys