1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Crashed the Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:51 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed the Ranger

Hit a patch of ice this morning while driving my 06 Ranger to work. I was just starting to accelerate coming from the ramp onto the highway bridge that crosses the Missouri river. The back end came around and before I could even react I went front end first into the center concrete barrier. My airbag deployed (the passenger side was turned off). Could have been much worse since it was a busy highway, but fortunately, there was a lull in the traffic at that time. I don't think I was going too fast for conditions, the roads were dry, but coming onto that bridge I should have anticipated the potential for ice. I did not get a ticket or anything. There was another pile-up a couple miles up the highway too, it was just a bad morning to be on the road.

Man, I am sick. The front bumper/grill/lights are gone. I think maybe the hood is bent a little too. The driver door only opens part way since the fenders pushed back. From the doors, back, the truck looks new. The wrecker operator thought maybe the frame is twisted a bit. I noticed a bunch of red tranny fluid everywhere, would that be from the transmission cooler (I think the truck had that option)?.

Guess I play the waiting game now until the body shop and insurance company decide what to do. Does an airbag deployment automatically mean it's "totaled"? Other than clipping a deer, I've never been involved in an accident.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
ctboyle03
Senior User
Glad you're ok. Sorry to hear about the truck. Good to know that the truck is safe in an accident though. The fluid was probably from the transcooler right behind the bumper. Let us know what happens with the insurance and repairs.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:58 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
try as hard as u can to talk them into totalling it out. the truck will never have the factory handling back again

Matt

Old 01-16-2007, 03:01 PM
tomtoc
Posting Guru
damn, that sucks
for the lazy, here's a picture from his gallery

Old 01-16-2007, 03:01 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no its not totalled, most of the time the reason they total it out is because the car aint worth much, and an air bag replacment is expensive,(1500-3000$) so between that and other work is the main reason mopst of the time they are totaled. but in your case being an 2006 you should be ok unless the frame is bent.

glad your ok, but from what ive seen in your part of the way the last day or so with all the ice you guys got, u got 2wd or 4wd???

Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok so when i did my post i thought i was the first to answer..........its 4wd looking at the picture

Old 01-16-2007, 03:08 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Thanks for the kind words. What a way to start the new year off. I feel a pretty good bruise from the seatbelt, and I'm a little stiff, but I think a visit to the chiropractor will solve my problems.

It's a 4x4, but I was in 2 wheel mode since the highway was dry (or so I thought).

The truck has been a real fun vehicle, it handles more like a sports car. I don't know what to think about repairs vs. a total loss. I know it will never be the same after this.

We had quite a bit of snow yesterday, but they had the roads cleared off. The cop estimated $200 damage to the center barrier... I suppose the state of Iowa will be out to get me now!

Old 01-16-2007, 03:08 PM
ctboyle03
Senior User
4wd won't help much on ice....especially if all 4 tires are on ice. The repair bill for the front end will add up fast....2-3000 for airbag, $1500 per fender, and then you have the bumper, headlights, grille, transcooler, etc...could end up reaching near the "totaling point"

Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Man, looking at that picture, vs. what it looks like now makes me cry. I guess the grill and bumper must be buried in the snow bank that was in front of the barrier. The only thing remaining on the front were the light assemblies, hanging by their wires.

I am really fortunate I didn't turn into a hockey puck for all the semi's that travel that route in the morning. The cop was surprised that nobody else was involved. At least my mishap got the salt trucks out for everyone else, they came by three times while we were waiting on the wrecker.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
mldmkr1960
Senior User
Ice and snow

Im sorry for your bad luck! At least your ok thats the important thing! Two weeks ago I almost lost my new truck, a nice Loadrite trailer and my Bombardier ATV on it. It was snowing hard and the whole thing jacknifed. No damage nobody got hurt. I couldnt figure out what happened. New truck, nice tires, 400lbs of sand tubes in the back of the bed, the truck was in 4wd. Well now two weeks later I noticed the 4wd does not work. Well its off to the dealer. Hope they do a sweet job fixing yours and you dont get the insurance company runaround.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
That is too bad about your truck, but it is good to hear that you are ok.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Alan D.
Posting Guru
I doubt it's totalled for 1 airbag. mine was estimated at $675 just for the airbag, but if the frames bent, i think thats $200/hr and if it's noticable, then your looking at 5-6 hours on the straightener.

I was just in an accident close to christmas. similar damage, and they didn't total mine. yours is newer, so you should be good.

Gald your ok.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:51 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
I got a chance to look the truck over today. It doesn't look nearly as bad today as it did yesterday... funny what a good night's sleep does for you. It was -12F yesterday when it happened and I was in no mood to stand on the highway looking things over!

I can't really tell if the frame is twisted or not, but the truck looks to be setting crooked. The hood is pushed back some, and it appears I hit a little off center towards the driver's side. The driver side inner fender started to collapse downward.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see. I shot a few pictures, I'll try and get them loaded tonight. The body shop is a "preferred" partner with my insurance company, so they are responsible for doing the estimate and submitting it. I didn't get a chance to talk with the manager, but hope I can do that after work. I hope to get his honest opinion of how all of this is going to work out.

I am pretty sore today, had some x-rays at the chiropractor and it doesn't seem too serious, but I'll be sore for a while. I am thankful for that!

Old 01-17-2007, 02:56 PM
pgw85706
Elder User
Of course it is bad that it happened and I know you gotta be upset and heart broken. But you should be very thankful it was not worse and for the officier to not ticket you clearly is a signal that it was not your fault. And some gratitude and pride to the Ranger for taking good care of you to only have a bit of soreness.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rob, I am glad your ok, I ran through a lot of areas of ice and snow the past couple of days and saw a whole lot of accidents including at least one fatality (one other one might have been but I am not sure on that one) I would surely hate to hear that about any of our guys on here. Trucks can be replaced or repaired there isn't a one of you that can be totally replaced and all would be missed.
If it's real close on the total or repair the insurance companies will sometimes ask you which way you want to go, take the total and get a new truck, but anymore body shops can do a pretty good job and although it won't be perfect and it will lose some resale value it will still be a good little truck for you.
I will be hoping for the best on this.

Quick Reply: Crashed the Ranger