Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1st time diesel owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Hurricane
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time diesel owner

Hi guys, just bought a 2002 F250 crew cab 4x4 lariat 7.3L auto. This is my first diesel and was just wondering what kind of regular maintenance, tips, or things to look for when owning a diesel. As far as I can tell the truck is stock, I did notice the catilytic(sp?) converter has been removed but other than that I don't think anything else has been done. I bought the truck from a local Dodge dealer so they were not much help and it did not have the owner's manual with it. I have heard that Ford puts a governor on them to keep them from going over 85mph, is this true? If so then my truck has been altered in some way because it easily goes over 90mph and still has some left.
What are good ways to get better gas mileage CHEAP?
Oh the truck has about 93,xxx miles on it.
One other thing I can't figure out is my cigarette lighter and over head compass are not working. I checked the fuses and they are not getting power, anybody know where else to look?

Thanks, Chris

Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
change oil and fuel filter every 3-5k. make sure tranny is ok. Ford cuts out at 95. it wont take long for you to contract PMS hanging out here.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:31 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
CONGRATS ON THE PURCHASE

WELCOME TO FTE

And you will contract PMS(Powerstroke Mod Syndrome) here, just don't fight it let it happen, you'll be glad you did!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Hurricane
New User
Thanks guys, what wieght oil do you run in these babies, no owner's manual? Who makes a good service manual? What are the best mods to start with for increasing fuel mileage?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:39 PM
VQ2Fast4U
Senior User
I use 15qts of Rotella 5w-40syn and motorcraft filter every 5000 miles. My blackstone reports say I should go 7000 miles so im going to be trying that this time around. I have the factory glove box manuals, haynes, and soon the Helms DVD. But I found just about all the info I ever needed off this site. As for mods most people go, intake, exhaust, gauges, and chip.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
OK, my truck is an 01 and has less miles than yours but more importantly has no cats and never did. Yours may or may not have had cats.

There is no way to get great mileage really cheap aside from driving your truck off of a cliff and getting air time mileage. The truck weighs upwards of 4 tons depending on the model. Poke around though and see how you can improve your mileage.

As for your overhead compass and lighter, if you have checked your fuses, what can I say except "are you sure you checked the right ones"?

While an owners manual is far from encompassing, I always insist whoever sells me my new/used vehicle provide me with one. It is usually Ford and they always give me what I want.

Edit: Ohhh, I forgot to mention that I use Rotella 15-40 year around.

Last edited by Tenn01PSD350; 01-11-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Hurricane
New User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
OK, my truck is an 01 and has less miles than yours but more importantly has no cats and never did. Yours may or may not have had cats...
Does it make any difference if you do or don't have one?

There is no way to get great mileage really cheap aside from driving your truck off of a cliff and getting air time mileage. The truck weighs upwards of 4 tons depending on the model. Poke around though and see how you can improve your mileage..
Just thought I would ask, you never know.

As for your overhead compass and lighter, if you have checked your fuses, what can I say except "are you sure you checked the right ones"?.
I only found 3 fuses out of the fuse box that did not work so assumed that is them, but again I don't have an owner's manual so I can't say for sure.

While an owners manual is far from encompassing, I always insist whoever sells me my new/used vehicle provide me with one. It is usually Ford and they always give me what I want.

Edit: Ohhh, I forgot to mention that I use Rotella 15-40 year around.
I bought this truck from a Dodge dealer and they could not get me one, I guess I'll have to call a Ford dealer and see if I can buy one.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the ride, I change oil every 3000-4000 miles. I have gone synthetic starting my last oil change at 49 K miles (4 Gallons of Rotella 5w-40syn from Wal-Mart @$15 a gallon)

Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I use rotella 15w40. I buy it at TCS and they give u nice bucket that after you are done you can cut the top off and you now have a free bucket with your purchase, or you have somewhere to put the 4 gallons of oil you drained out.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hurricane,

Your truck wasn't equipped with cats. So you don't have to worry about that.

The fuse for the lighter is the same as the OBD-II connector, so check that one. Also check the one for the overhead display. It's best to check by swapping out the fuses instead of just a visual inspection.

Also the overhead display can go bad. I can't remember off hand right now, but there is a switch or capacitor that is prone to burning out on the board itself. If you have any small electronics skills, you can repair it yourself. If not, the replacement unit is over $200.

For oil I use Rotella Synthetic 5w40 year round. Definately comes in handy in the winter time. Cold starts are much much easier than 15w40. With a proper oil analysis, you can (if you choose) extend your oil change intervals. I change mine every 8K miles. I firmly believe that changing oil, no matter what kind, at 3K miles is a waste on our trucks. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's 15 quarts every few weeks, and it can get expensive for no additional gain or protection. Quite a few folks change theirs every 5K miles.

Diesel specific maintenance includes changing the fuel filter every 10K-15K miles, and changing the tranny fluid and filter every 30K or so. Other maintenance items are pretty much the same as a gas powered truck (grease fittings, differential, etc.) The coolant on 2002 trucks is the gold kind, good for 100K miles. You're almost ready for a flush there, same with the differentials. Good news is, you don't have to replace spark plugs. Glow plugs are only replaced when they go bad.

BTW, I have the same year and model truck as you, with the same mileage. Welcome, and enjoy your truck.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM
wfmcbride
Senior User
Owners Manual

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I bought the truck from a local Dodge dealer so they were not much help and it did not have the owner's manual with it.
Thanks, Chris
Hi Chris, try this link for a PDF file on your manual. You may have to register to use this site, I was logged in when I did the search.
Walt

http://www.genuineservice.com/genuineservice/en/gloveboxresults

Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 PM
jnb
Freshman User
If you want you can download an owners manual from https://www.fleet.ford.com/default.asp look under the maintenance tab.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just wanted to welcome you to FTE and the world of Power Stroke Diesels. Have fun with the new truck!

Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
Dont forget "blue Juice" every 6 mos fw 15 or what ever they use today. test strips can be had many places otherwise use of the proper coolant with whatever additives.

International is cheaper for the engine parts (because, well,,,, they just are) need proper IH part # which can usually be had with a search on this site.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dont forget "blue Juice" every 6 mos fw 15 or what ever they use today. test strips can be had many places otherwise use of the proper coolant with whatever additives.
He has an '02. Those use the gold coolant and do not require additives.