1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cherokee wiper motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 AM
shermy2296
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cherokee wiper motor

Guys,
I want to use a Cherokee wiper motor and relays on my 54 F100. I however want to use a GM column instead of the Cherokee so I can have AT on the column. Is there anything special about the jeep column wiper control arm? Can't I just use a GM column that has interval wiper control arm with the Jeep relays since the Jeep column is a GM anyway? Help me out here guys.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-09-2007, 12:28 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,885 Likes on 1,859 Posts
Mike,
You're right, Jeep/Chrysler and GM use basically the same columns (at least they did for alot of years (late 70's to early 90's I think). I think Saginaw is the actual manufatcurer of the columns. So, as far as the machanical side of things it should all work, what I don't know is how differerent GM and Jeep wire things or how much difference there is in the intermittant wipers. I would bet that the wiper motor doesn't care at all how its controlled so your main task would be to figure out the intermittant wiper control. Shouldn't be too bad if you can find a schematic for Jeep and GM

Bobby

Old 01-09-2007, 02:52 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why you can't easily find a Cherokee column with the auto shifter lever. They should be fairly common. You could grab the wiper motor, intermittent unit and the column all from the same donor....

Cowman shows the set up in his gallery (as this is the route he went, and the route I plan to go)

Later,

Old 01-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The compact cherokees didn't have column shifts, Maybe there were a few but very rare. The wagoneers probably had lots of column shifts

Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Cowman
Senior User
Mike, Bobby is right, the Cherokee columns are Saginaw units which are very similar to the GM columns. Though I installed all Cherokee components (column, wiper motor and delay module) in my '53, I used a stock GM wiring harness from EZ wiring. Everything plugged together just fine. Wire connections varied from year to year so you may have to pay attention. Between the EZ wiring kit instructions and a GM wire diagram from a repair manual, I was able to terminate the wiring harness into the GM connectors and the Cherokee column fairly easily.
If I can help, just drop me an email.
Good luck
Chuck

Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 AM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cowman
Mike, Bobby is right, the Cherokee columns are Saginaw units which are very similar to the GM columns. Though I installed all Cherokee components (column, wiper motor and delay module) in my '53, I used a stock GM wiring harness from EZ wiring. Everything plugged together just fine. Wire connections varied from year to year so you may have to pay attention. Between the EZ wiring kit instructions and a GM wire diagram from a repair manual, I was able to terminate the wiring harness into the GM connectors and the Cherokee column fairly easily.
If I can help, just drop me an email.
Good luck
Chuck
OH YEAH! Chuck! BUDDY! PAL! You just saved me from posting a poser for the masses!!!! What year column did you use? And what years are the same? Enquiring minds and all that tripe! This is the set-up I want to run, but I can find no info on the years of column I can use.
I too have the EZ wire harness W/ GM ends for the column.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Cowman
Senior User
Todd, as I recall you can use any Cherokee column up to the year they changed over to the air bags (that would something like '86 to '94 or so). Those may also be useable but I'm not sure what all would be involved with the ordnance, sensors etc. I know that '93 and earlier columns work for sure as that is what I have. Also the Jeep Wrangler (YJ) column works also but they are a lot more expensive. In fact my column has all the Grey plastic parts from a Wrangler column as the one I bought was Tan in color. I made a custom column hangar bracket that used the stock Cherokee mounting U-bracket. I picture of it is in my gallery.
When you hit the yard to look for a column, look for one with tilt, and delay wipers. While you're in the donor, snag the delay wiper module (a small black plastic box) under the dash to the left of the column. The car harness goes into the module and then to the column. I hate it when people do this but cut the harness just upstream of the delay module and take everything from there to the column. It will help in determining which wires go where. Grab the wiper motor from under the windshield cowl. That is outside, just forward of the windshield. Easy to get at. Again, take the connect so you can splice it into your truck. The connectors changed between the years.
The wiper/blinker stalk is available at most auto parts stores if the one you get is looking bad. Also if the ignition does not have a key, I found it cheaper to buy a new tumbler/key assembly than to have new keys made.
I will look for the wire diagram that I made for the GM ignition and turn signal switches. I think I can scan it and email it to you. May take me a few days though.
I'm sure there is much I have forgot to mention so if you think of any questions, shoot them my may. If you need better pics than those on my gallery, let me know.
Good luck,
Chuck

Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 AM
fiddysixF
Senior User
OUTSTANDING! Great info Chuck, Thank you. Maybe the airbag columns are the ones with the different conn. Somethings gotta power the charge right?
When I 1st joined this forum, I had my truck all planned out in my head. I wish I had started a running tally of how much CA$H this place is gonna save me!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Cowman, would you mind e-mailing the diagram to me, also? With the complex wiring that I'm getting into with the SHO engine, anything to ease my troubled mind would be appreciated.

Bike

Old 01-12-2007, 11:20 AM
shermy2296
Junior User
Cowman and all,

Jeep did make a police special Cherokee from 88-94 that had auto shift on the column. I guess you know what my chances are of finding one. I'll probably go with the Jeep setup so does anyone shifter ideas(AOD TRANNY) other than Lokar?
Mike

Old 01-12-2007, 06:16 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Chuck,

I'll take a copy of that wiring diagram if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Cowman...

I got the wiper assembly together last night. It took me 3 hours to get everything the way I wanted it. I didn't want to eliminate the vent so I had to play with the linkage. I might get another Cherokee assembly and try some other ideas. For now, I have a working assembly. Your gallery was a big help.
Rob

Old 01-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Cowman
Senior User
OK guys, I put myself on the spot. I looked at my notes and my chicken scratchings are not presentable. Let me get some clean paper and I'll draft the connector diagrams for the GM/Cherokee column I used in a hopefully readable format. I'll send it to Bob Ferguson so he can add it to the list of data he is building (if that is OK with you Bob).

Chuck

Old 01-14-2007, 08:43 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Chuck,

I would like a copy of my personal use ( the_fergusons @ sympatico.ca) , but I am no longer writing tech or any other kind of articles for this site.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2007, 11:03 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ferguson777
Chuck,

I am no longer writing tech or any other kind of articles for this site.

Thanks
Ferg,

Hmmm, do I detect a note of hostility in that statement? What's up?

Quick Reply: Cherokee wiper motor