General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Computer driver updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Computer driver updates

Has anyone used driver updates from driveragent.com. 30 bucks a year and they have over half a million and are adding more dayly. Add sounds good. Like almost to good. Just like to know if anyone has tried it and if is just a scam or legit?

Old 01-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Caplax40
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meh, for me I wouldn't bother. It's easy to find drivers since manufacturers have them on their sites anyways. And if they don't I sure as hell wouldn't own their products!

Old 01-06-2007, 10:24 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Ya I generally find what i need and download for free. But this site scans system down to BIOS. If it works It would be handy me thinks.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 PM
furball69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a hard time letting MS have free reign on automatic updates, let alone some company that wants me to pay for it.

I wouldnt' bother. For as much as you're actually going to need something that you can't very easily find by a simple search, I don't think it's worth it.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:30 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Thanks Guys(least I think yer all guy's) for the in put. I kinda miss win 98 as I could tweak it a lot easier than XP Pro. Soooo I am going to set up a 98 system that just needs plugged in and formatted. Bring it on line while I format Hot stuff. The one I am on know. Than try again to WIFI the two together. Like I said before there ain't nothing FTE can't fix. Evan if it isn't broke. Thanks guy's if I disappear it ain't aliens. Its setting you up in Win 98 for a day or twenty. Win 98 isn't a problem for FTE is it? Other than being SSLLLOOOWW.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:21 AM
DetailerDave
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a program called Aida32. It will analyze your machine, and provide info (more than you need to know) and links for the manufacturer of each component in your computer. It's free. Screw paying 30 bucks for something that is available for free.
There is also another similar program called Sandra Lite (SIS Software). Basic version is free, but the super diagnostic version is not.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:21 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Has anyone used driver updates from driveragent.com. 30 bucks a year and they have over half a million and are adding more dayly. Add sounds good. Like almost to good. Just like to know if anyone has tried it and if is just a scam or legit?
Artic

I have it and used it a few times. I got it as a package deal when I had to buy a bios upgrade for one of my customers.

I wouldn't buy it unless you are into PC service like me.. Sometimes I get a pc that the owner has no clue as to what happened to the driver disks. It usually is on the older systems..

The drawback I have found is, you need to be able to access the internet. So if it is a network driver you need tough luck.

It does work good for built in motherboard type devices. If they are not built in then you can usually just look at the card to find the manufacturer then search the net.

Also you don't need to upgrade your drivers to newer ones unless you are having problems..

Remember newer doesn't necessarily mean better..

You can try driversguide.com if you need a driver.
It is free just sign up.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:54 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Thanks donjame. That is what I wanted to know. I have been a member of driversguide for ever. And If I cant find it there the manufacturer will have it. And yes on the, if It ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like donjamer said...newer doesn't mean better. I upgraded the video driver for my card and then had problems viewing videos online....all except at youtube. I rolled back the driver and have had no problems. Not sure why I upgraded in the first place.

I always go to the manufacturer's website for updates.