1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Blades - 24" versus 20" - Go For The 24"!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I already had my 20 inch replacments in hand before I came across this tidbit of good info. Went ahead and installed them and will install the 24 inch blades next time around.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:42 PM
04ExLtd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did RainX and 24" wipers today. What a huge improvement.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wipers123
This is an old thread but I thought I'd jump in...

I have no experience with experimenting with larger sizes than recommended but I do know that the newer beam blades will handle curved windows better than the conventional wiper blades. Even though beam blades are 10.88-17.88 a piece, they are our best sellers. Trico makes NeoForm Beam Blades (top-of-the-line) and their newest beam blades Trico Tech. Both perform well on highly curved glass.

Best of luck on the size experiments!
Jeff
Wow... talk about da ja vue about an old thread...

I have switched to the "beam blades" (not sure of brand) and they "hug" the window better and do not allow snow to get into the "parts" of a tradtional wiper blade design.

Thanks,

Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
as far as windshield washer fluid i have found that the rainx washer fluid really does make a big improvement in how the water beads off the window. I have found there to be no real price difference to the blue stuff, so i fig go with the rainx. i have heard that adding some of the dishwasher rinse additive to regular fluid has the same effect, but havent actually tried it myself. i'm bout 6'1" so the 24's mean i don't have to duck, especially when i sit on passenger side and someone else is driving

Old 11-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Tim98TA
Senior User
Bosch ICON blades are the best blades I have ever owned.
http://www.boschautoparts.com/WiperB...ages/Icon.aspx

Old 11-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by nitrogen
i'm bout 6'1" so the 24's mean i don't have to duck, especially when i sit on passenger side and someone else is driving
What.... are you crazy.... you let someone else drive your truck!!!!!

On page 1 of my manual its states (I hand wrote it there in case I get challanged).... no one else will drive this truck - period (unless you meet the exceptions listed below).

1) Female
2) Cute
3) Naked
4) If not naked, then no panties
5) Must find me attractive

If the above conditions are not met... then no one ever drives my "baby".

24" wiper blades are great... wonder why Ford didn't go with them straight from the factory?

Thanks,

Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
1) Female
2) Cute
3) Naked
4) If not naked, then no panties
5) Must find me attractive

If the above conditions are not met... then no one ever drives my "baby".

HMMM my wife is female..... pretty sure
I think she's cute
She's never driven the truck naked but.....
have got her pantyless
She says i have very nice blue eyes.

I don't let just any one drive it but there are a few brothers and such that i will occasionaly trust. I guess for me as valuble as it is i don't ever want my truck to become a god that i worship. Its just a nice piece of tin, besides I've already taken the new edge off both of them myself

Old 05-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
I know this is an old post but I wanted to throw this out there. I put Bosch Icons on my 2001 F250 LOVE them!

While my truck was in the shop having broken exhaust studs replaced, my buddy let me drive his 2003 F350. Yeah, he's a good Dude, he also has an EX to drive. Well, it was raining, so aside from putting diesel in it, I though, I'll do the 24" Bosch blade upgrade for him. I put them on and kept the old 20" in case he didn't like them. He did really liked them, but a few days later after heavy rains and wipers on high, it appears his wiper motor went TU. He's not blaming me, but I feel bad about it. Anyone have this experience? I'm thinking it's a coincidence and that his motor was on it's way out.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 AM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
Yeah, big coincidence. Don't sweat it. The same wiper motor is probably used on cars through Ford's over-the-road tractor's. Wiper length might have created a bit more drag, but it was on it's way out before you touched it.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM
jeff618
New User
Arrow

Originally Posted by Coastie6
I know this is an old post but I wanted to throw this out there. I put Bosch Icons on my 2001 F250 LOVE them!

While my truck was in the shop having broken exhaust studs replaced, my buddy let me drive his 2003 F350. Yeah, he's a good Dude, he also has an EX to drive. Well, it was raining, so aside from putting diesel in it, I though, I'll do the 24" Bosch blade upgrade for him. I put them on and kept the old 20" in case he didn't like them. He did really liked them, but a few days later after heavy rains and wipers on high, it appears his wiper motor went TU. He's not blaming me, but I feel bad about it. Anyone have this experience? I'm thinking it's a coincidence and that his motor was on it's way out.
I would argue that its not a coincidence. Do you really think that all the Ford Engineers put 20's on there for kicks and that they totally missed the fact that 24's would technically and physically fit? Do you think they didn't test this and for some reason just picked 20" for no reason? Again, do what you want, but I'm telling ya, if they though it was possible, they would have done it - its their frickin full time job!!

Aside from that, I just got an email from wipers123 that they're running rebates on the neoform wipers I use. It looks like a good deal on great wipers fyi.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 AM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
nope jeff can't agree with you. the 24's clear so much more of the windshield that to me 20's are a safety issue. way too many people myself included have been running them for years with no issues with the motor. in my case i often am too lazy to sweep the snow off the windshield before i turn the wipers on, so they get a real workout and still no problems. as a passenger if i have 20 i have to duck to actually look through clean glass. that only happened once before the long ones went on

Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run 24 on driver side and 22 on passenger side. I read in one of these threads that the 24 wouldn't fully sit on the windshield so i went with the 22.

My first set of Bosch Icons lasted 3 years. Just replaced them after the winter with the same. They work great.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Have been using 24" blades for years with zero problems (rain and snow... with no problems).

The extra area of front windshield that it clears for me is "very clear" that Ford engineers just didn't test the longer blades (probably to save .50 in production costs)... as way too many people have been using them and they have worked fine.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Ford put 22's on the 2011 Superdutys. Could put a 24" blade on the driver side but the passenger side is maxed out with the 22's.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:14 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
I put 22"s on last fall, would've put 24"s, but I swiped them from work and there were no 24"..... they work great and, the price was right.

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades - 24" versus 20" - Go For The 24"!!!