removing swirl marks and some very minor scratches.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:09 PM
psu927
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing swirl marks and some very minor scratches.

hey guys, looking for a way to remove those marks. I think I read it before, can't find a post on it though, I know it's a good half-day process. Could someone do a run-down on it for me please?

Also, what should I do to wash (and dry) my truck without getting the swirl marks? I think it came from drying but might have been from washing. Thanks guys!

Old 12-22-2006, 12:04 AM
hatchet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would like to know this to i have the scratches and the swirl marks that you have.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 AM
66 twin i
Senior User
It can be a long process but the results you get are awsome. This is what i like to do to my truck and people cant belive its the stock paint. I have a black truck and anyone who has one knows it isnt easy to keep it looking good. First wash it realy good to get rid of dust and dirt and dry with a good shamy, i use an Absorber. Never use any bath towel to dry with they leave scratches. I always like to take and clay bar the truck before i do any kind of buffing to make sure the surface is clean and smooth. I use the Wizards clay bar and Mist N Shine to do that. Next if there are any bad scratches i will use my buffer and rubbing compound to take them out. I use the 3M perfectet 3 system for that. Its important to remeber when buffing use differant pads for different steps, 3m used a white pad for compound and a grey one for the machine glaze. After using compound i like to wipe the truck off again with Wizards Detail cleaner to help get rid of all the compound. If there is any left you will just add swirls to your truck so be sure you have it all off before you go to glaze. Machine glaze will take out any of the swirls that you have from the buffing and any towel scratches that you may get while drying. 3M has just recently came out with a new swirl mark remover for black vehicles. Its called Ultrafina, I havenet used it much but what i have done with it i am impressed. After that is all done i like to put a coat of Wizzards Shine Master on to for added shine and it also helps to dry a car faster after a wash. After washes i lik to go over with a little Mist n Shine to help with any water spots that you might get. One thing with Mist n shine is that you need to use the wizzards detail cloth with it or it doesnt work as good. Another product i have used is the Speed Shine from Griots Garage. It seem to work good and their microfiber towels are awsome. Good luck

Old 12-22-2006, 07:31 PM
hatchet
Senior User
thnaks for the tips where do you buy all this stuff? im guessing walmart doesnt have anything at all.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:33 PM
hatchet
Senior User
i got another question where my scrachtes are the paint is off there down to the undercoating what should i do there?will that stuff blend the paint arounnd it into the scratches?

Old 12-22-2006, 07:53 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
You will have to check around for a paint supply store to find the Wizzards and the 3M stuff. Griots garage is on the internet at www.griotsgarage.com

For your next question if its down to the road gaurd at the bottome of the doors or rockers stay away from it with a buffer it could make it bigger. That goes the same if any other scratches are through the clear coat dont buff over them. They will just fill in with compound and you could possiably burn threw that spot. For those scratches just touch them up after your finished. Good luck

Old 12-23-2006, 09:45 AM
psu927
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey thanks for the info, I have one question, you said use the clay bar and mistn shine, how exactly do you use the clay bar and then do you use the mist n shine with the clay bar or use it after you use the clay bar?

Old 12-23-2006, 06:16 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
You want to spray an area with the Mist N Shine then rub the clay over that spot.. You want to keep it wet otherwise the clay will streek.