1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Loping at startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:19 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds too me like it is your HPOP o-rings, or the HPOP itself. Typically though, it is the o-rings. The o-rings are leaking and your injectors arent getting enough oil pressure to fire. A word on the oil changes. If it is bad oil that was causing the problem, one change may not be enough. PSD's have a lot of oil that stayes in the oil galleries and even after you drain the oil. I have seen instances where we had to change the oil three times to get all the bad oil out of the system and get the truck running normal again.

One more thing to look at, I would check all of the harnesses that go into the valve covers. If there is a loose connection, you could be loosing an entire set of injectors.
There is also a connection inside the valve cover that can come loose as well. If you think that the connectors might be at fault, unplug one connector at a time and try and start your vehicle. Do this one at a time for every connector until you find one (or more) that changes nothing, and this will be the faulty connector / wire. If the engine runs worse or won't run at all after unplugging it, then the wiring set up is good. Be very careful though. While the vehicle is running there is an immense amount of current running through the wiring harness to the injectors, it will light you up like the fourth of July. I try not to mess with them at all while the truck is running, just to be safe.

Now that search is back up, try some searches on bad HPOP o-rings, and you will see tons of discussion on diagnosis, and repair. Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:16 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Thanks I will keep all that in mind. Once I get all the front end work done tomorrow I will be diving into the lope issue. Pretty sure its not oil pressure issue as I can rev the truck and smooth it out. It also starting doing this after I removed the 10k mod the PO had on the truck. I will post my results here when I figure out whats going on.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:11 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Well here is the latest. I hooked up the 1ohm to 10K poteniomete at about 1k it starts with no lope. so I built a 1k wire to install just like the standard 10k mod and it starts with no lope and idle good. Don't ask me how cause I don't know. At this point running split shot injectors on single shot programming is probably the problem. If it works and runs I am not going to worry about it right now.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:06 PM
pjohn192
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello, I have the exact same problem with my 95 powerstroke. Every time I start it up, cold or hot, the motor lopes badly, and shakes the whole truck for about 5-10 seconds. It also does it while driving if I happen to lug the motor down too much.(it has a 5 speed manual) The only time it does not do it, is when I start it up on cold mornings, and then it idles higher than normal. Also, sometimes when I start it up, I put my foot into it a little bit, and it does not do it, but as soon as I let off, it lopes badly, and also sometimes when it is idling, and I rev it up quickly, it will do it when it goes back down to idle.

The only mods that I know of is a 3 1/2 downpipe, 4" straight pipe exhaust, chip, different turbo, and air intake. I also just recently purchased this truck, so this is all that I know of. Any more posts on this would be great. I will continue to try to find the problem, and post if I find anything out.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:30 PM
miker67
Elder User
In your instance, it just might be the different injectors. A good person to ask about this would be the guys at Beans Diesel Performance. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone, anywhere that knows more obout powerstroke injectors and swaping them around, especially when it comes to this era powerstoke. If I remember right, the 10k mod boosts your injector pressure, correct me if i am wrong, but in this specific instance it may very well be the different injectors.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:53 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Well the oil report came back! They just recieved the sample today! now thats service. I highly recommend Blackstone. But anyway the emailed report said that fuel wasn't an issue. it was less than .5% acceptable is less than 2%. Only high part was iron which was 30ppm and 17ppm was the universal standard. They said it was probably because of high miles on the oil but to the best of my knowledge there was only 3k on the oil and the universals are based on 5200 miles. I guess I will retest in 3K and see how it looks.

Any way the lope wasn't due to worn or diluted oil and the 1k resistor in the ICP did fix the lope. so I will just live with it for now. Still idles smooth and runs good.

Case Closed
Thanks
Tim

Old 12-16-2006, 07:01 PM
pwrstrokef350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, i have the same problem (sometimes) i can sometimes start my 97 and it will lope like ....whomp,whomp,whomp......untill i give it pedal, it revs up smoothly, and usually cleans up the irratic idle and runs fine, untill, i shut it down and restart, then it does it again.. this is a problem i have had for a while and it dosent always do it...if i had to guess i would say it was a glowplug not ignighting all the time... it just seems like one cylinder is not lit......

Old 12-16-2006, 07:21 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Quick question for you TJ, not on topic, but I've been curious about this.

Where do you send your oil for testing? How much do you need to send? How much does it cost for testing? What information do you get back from the testing? How do I decipher the test results regarding what is happening inside my truck?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:09 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

IDMOOSEMAN the place I and many others use is blackstone labs. This was my first oil sample done but they received it monday morning and by monday night I had an email with the results and a hard copy by thursday. I will post the report for you to look at tomorrow cause its on my other computer. If you ask them they send you a free sample kit then you take the sample and send it in with $20 and they send you the results. They have average measurement that your oil is "graded" on compared to other powerstrokes and they will tell you if something is out of the ordinary. Very good service.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:11 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by pwrstrokef350
well, i have the same problem (sometimes) i can sometimes start my 97 and it will lope like ....whomp,whomp,whomp......untill i give it pedal, it revs up smoothly, and usually cleans up the irratic idle and runs fine, untill, i shut it down and restart, then it does it again.. this is a problem i have had for a while and it dosent always do it...if i had to guess i would say it was a glowplug not ignighting all the time... it just seems like one cylinder is not lit......
does it only do this when its cold? if so it could be a glow plug or just cold oil. If its cold oil we normally call that a romp. I switch to rotella 10W30 for the winter. many other use 5W40 synthetic to cure romps also.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:50 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Any way the lope wasn't due to worn or diluted oil and the 1k resistor in the ICP did fix the lope. so I will just live with it for now. Still idles smooth and runs good.
Was the 18K soldered or spliced into the ICP harness? The installation itself may have altered the wires resistance slightly and your 1k put it back into the PCM's "normal" paramater.

Just a guess.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

no the pot was slipped into the connector. it wasn't spliced in. I was hooing that the 17 degree hpop i installed yesterday might have fixed it too but I don't think it has. I will get some more miles and startups on it today so we'll see.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:22 PM
pwrstrokef350
Junior User
hey, what the hell is a 10-18k potentimeter mod

thanks

Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
I am not an expert and have not done the mod, but a potentiometer works very similar to a dimmer, 1k 10k 18k have different ohm values to speed up or slow down the flow of electricity, so you get different timing greater or less over all current those kind of results, what this does for the truck....well I am watching to see what the smart guys have to say, cause I am at a loss same as you.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:46 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

yep bkcowboss has it pretty much summed up. Its a variable resistor. with a low value and high value and all values in between. it an adjustable 10k mod. simply put its a resister put into two of the 3 wires in the injector control pressure sensor and tricks the computer into thinking it needs more high pressure oil to fire the injectors. It may increase timing a hair but mainly I think it provides better atomization and throttle response but I don't know what the official ruling is on that. It does increase power. but if you have a chip it doesn't do a whole lot as the chip is already doing it.

Quick Reply: Loping at startup