1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Tranny lockup

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:52 AM
jeepcolorado1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tranny lockup

I recently had troubles starting my 97 PSD and ended up replacing the fuel pump. After priming/bleeding it several times I finally got it restarted. Now I have a problem with it stalling as soon as I engage the transmission. It feels like it trying to go in forward and reversae at the same time and it imediately kills the engine.
I have an Edge Evolution and am curious whether or not it messed up the programming. I did try to set it back to stock, and then back in the towing mode to no avail.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-27-2006, 11:52 AM
1969fordguy
Senior User
Try to return everything to stock (computer stuff) Are there any connections under the hood that may have been missed?

When you put the truck in gear does it die immediately? Try reving the engine some as you shift *foot on the brake~!* Try all the gears.
And does it idle fine in park?

One of the gurus will step in here any second...

Old 11-27-2006, 12:19 PM
jeepcolorado1
New User
I did return it to stock and there is no change. It idles perfectly but once I try ANY gear it immediately dies. It acts like all four tires are stuck in gooey mud.
There are no apparent wires disconnected either.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:11 PM
1969fordguy
Senior User
The torque converter should allow the engine to run even if the transmission is in gear. I am unsure if our trucks have a lockup torque conveter, if so that could be the problem.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:58 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes they do have a lockup converter. Is there a added switch for the converter lockup. some have a toggle switch so they can lock the converter when ever they want. does your truck have one of the those?

Old 11-27-2006, 02:07 PM
jeepcolorado1
New User
I have never seen a switch, where would it be located? Is this an aftermarket switch? Is there a chance that the Edge could have programmed it to lockup?

Old 11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
I dont think the edge programs the auto tranny like the superchips. The possible t/c lock up switch is something a previous owner might have added and could be located anywhere, it would be an aftermarket switch.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:21 PM
jeepcolorado1
New User
thats kinda what I thought about the Edge, but thought I better ask.
I haven't ever found a switch where I didn't know what it was for.

I read somewhere that if the auto tranny filter dislodges, it could cause the lockup. Has anyone heard of that before?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:29 PM
jeepcolorado1
New User
I talked to a diesel mechanic here in Colorado Springs today and told him I had no error codes shown on the Evolution scan, but he said the Evolution is pretty generic and wouldn't show what a Ford specific scanner might show. He leaned toward a bad torque converter, so I went home and did another test. I tried every gear at a higher (around 900) RPM and it died in all forward gears but didn't in reverse. I also got an error code of P0603 Keep Alive Memory, but I think thats common with programmers like the Edge.
I also spoke to Tech Support at Edge and the guy said the Evolution does not affect any programming of the tranny, and it only changes the line pressures so I'm basically ruling out that.
If it were the torque converter would it allow me to stick it in reverse and not forward gears? Could it be something as simple as a dislodged filter, as another web site made mention of? Thanks for all the input, one of these days I'll get it back on the road.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:51 PM
puretexn
Freshman User
I had that problem a few years ago. It turned out to be the that my tranny housing was chipped inside. I don't know what they are, but on the inside of the case, there are what looks to be a bunch of grooves, almost looks like an underground ant-farm..lol. It was the wall between two grooves that was damaged sending pressure to both lines instead of one. I'm not a tranny dude, so I don't know what they actually do. But it was like it was in drive and reverse at the same time.

PT