Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Additive Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:12 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additive Comparison

I've been wondering which additive you diesel old timers have found to be better for our IDIs - the pump in particular. Howe's or Diesel Kleen?

The only place I've found in my area to get Howe's is at the local Flying-J. It is $11.99 for a 64 ounce bottle, and the lowest recommended dilution ratio is 1/4 ounce per gallon of fuel or a 1:512 ratio. At that rate the cost is right at 4.68 cents per gallon.

The Diesel Kleen I can get at the local Wal-Mart in a 96 ounce bottle for $15.20. The lowest dilution ratio listed on the label is 1:300 and at that ratio the cost is 6.75 cents per gallon.

So, using the dilution ratios on the labels, the Howes is only about 2/3 the price of the Diesel Kleen. Of course the thing that makes the biggest difference is the dilution ratios. The actual cost difference per ounce is much smaller, 18.7 cents per ounce for the Howe's and 15.8 cents per ounce for the Diesel Kleen. So, if you mix them at the same ratio, the Howe's is slightly more expensive.

Obviously that isn't the whole story or even the most important consideration. Which one does a better job of lubing and extending the life of the injection pump and injectors is more important than a couple of cents difference in price per ounce.

So, which additive and at what ratios do you expert IDI "old timers" use it?

Last edited by CheaperJeeper; 11-19-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 AM
dwaymar
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for cleaning the injecters i use dk grey bottle for good lubing i like howel but also realy like lucas but lucas is very pricy

hope this helps

Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 AM
93_E_350
Senior User
Marvels Mystery oil?

Old 11-20-2006, 06:03 AM
2001gocougs
Mountain Pass
There is a thorough comparison under articles/specs - diesel

Old 11-20-2006, 07:09 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats a funny lead to alink... .first time it sent me to Gino's garage, next time to Jegs page.................????????

Old 11-20-2006, 11:56 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PLC7.3
Thats a funny lead to alink... .first time it sent me to Gino's garage, next time to Jegs page.................????????
Actually he didn't insert a link. The board software automatically highlights certain words and hyperlinks them to a rotating list of site sponsors. That's why you clicked it and got Geno's one time and Jegs the next. If you click it enough times you'll probablyvisit every sponsor site that has anything to do with diesels...

Here is a link to the article he's referring to
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/..._Results_.html

Trouble is, I read it - long before posting this thread. It doesn't really answer any of the questions I'm asking because
1) it is comparing Diesel Kleen and Rotella (not Howe's)
2) he doesn't say what dilution ratios he's using (recommended ratios from the bottle or equal amounts of each)
3) it is a one time test comparing mpg vs cetane rating.

What I'm asking about is
1) Diesel Kleen vs Howe's
2) recommended ratio (mix according to the info on the bottle or use equal amonts of each - since Hoe's recommends a much lower dilution ratio) and
3) which is better for the pump and injectors - not which is better for fuel economy and power

There is a link to a 10+ page thread in the article, and I've read a lot of it and still didn't find the answers I was/am looking for. Maybe I need to go back and re-read all 10+ pages.....

Here's that thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-results.html

Old 11-20-2006, 12:56 PM
2jhanna
More Turbo
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
A couple of months ago when I replaced my IP. The rebuild shop (which is "factory authorized"), told me that to keep the warranty valid, I would need to keep up with fuel filter changes and use 1 of 2 additives. Diesel Kleen was 1 of the 2 names that he gave me. I don't remember the second one.

J.Hanna
dovfd
`90,f450,7.3l,5speed,5.13rear

Old 11-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
I moved to Howie's in the last few years.

Howie's gives the additional benefit of being also an Antigel which has become really important to me recently as I am running B40 (Biodiesel with 40% soybean oil) on both my trucks now.

I did some freezer testing and B40 starts to gel pretty much around the 32 F mark. With a small amount of Howies I have been able to suppress the gel point to atleast 25 F (maximum 20 F before hitting the CFFP, Cold Filter Plugging Point) which is pretty much the coldest it gets around southern BC in the winter.

So for me, Howie's is by far the superior choice giving me the Antigel, detergent, as well as lubrication properties. (not that I need lubrication with B40, I only use Howies during the winter month and then sparingly).

Regards,

Seb.......

Old 11-20-2006, 01:50 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 2jhanna
A couple of months ago when I replaced my IP. The rebuild shop (which is "factory authorized"), told me that to keep the warranty valid, I would need to keep up with fuel filter changes and use 1 of 2 additives. Diesel Kleen was 1 of the 2 names that he gave me. I don't remember the second one.

J.Hanna
dovfd
`90,f450,7.3l,5speed,5.13rear
Possibly Stanadyne? They are the original manufacturer of the IPs....

Old 11-20-2006, 01:57 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hamberger
I moved to Howie's in the last few years.

Howie's gives the additional benefit of being also an Antigel which has become really important to me recently as I am running B40 (Biodiesel with 40% soybean oil) on both my trucks now.

I did some freezer testing and B40 starts to gel pretty much around the 32 F mark. With a small amount of Howies I have been able to suppress the gel point to atleast 25 F (maximum 20 F before hitting the CFFP, Cold Filter Plugging Point) which is pretty much the coldest it gets around southern BC in the winter.

So for me, Howie's is by far the superior choice giving me the Antigel, detergent, as well as lubrication properties. (not that I need lubrication with B40, I only use Howies during the winter month and then sparingly).

Regards,

Seb.......
OK, so you're using the Howe's for the "last few years". Would that be like the last 5 years? More? Less?

You also say you are using it "sparingly". Would that be at the 1 ounce per 4 gallons (1:512) ratio listed on the bottle? More? Less?

Had any IP or injector problems - or epecially good life out of either - since you started using it?

I'd appreciate more details if it isn't too much bother. IIRC you're one of the folks around here who's been running an IDI for a long time, so I really value your input on this question.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Howe's

I started using Howe's about 5 years ago when I was still running regular No. 2 diesel.

Since B40 provides all the lubrication needs for the IP and the injectors and also does a great job of cleaning up gum and varnish, I stopped using all additives in the Spring 2006 when I started running B40 and just re-started using it in November for the winter month's to help me lower my CFFP a little.

We had a few cold days (28 F) there in early November and I was getting a bit un-comfortable with running straight B40 after I saw my test bottle of B40 I keep outside starting to go cloudy.

A small dose of Howe's Antigel really help lower the CFFP of B40.

Howe's also helped clean up my IP on my 91 F350. It was a mess when I bought it last November, but six month later it cleaned right up.

I have tried many of the additives over the years, and found Howe's to be the biggest bang for you buck.

Best of luck,

Seb......

Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hamberger
I started using Howe's about 5 years ago when I was still running regular No. 2 diesel.

Since B40 provides all the lubrication needs for the IP and the injectors and also does a great job of cleaning up gum and varnish, I stopped using all additives in the Spring 2006 when I started running B40 and just re-started using it in November for the winter month's to help me lower my CFFP a little.

We had a few cold days (28 F) there in early November and I was getting a bit un-comfortable with running straight B40 after I saw my test bottle of B40 I keep outside starting to go cloudy.

A small dose of Howe's Antigel really help lower the CFFP of B40.

Howe's also helped clean up my IP on my 91 F350. It was a mess when I bought it last November, but six month later it cleaned right up.

I have tried many of the additives over the years, and found Howe's to be the biggest bang for you buck.

Best of luck,

Seb......
Great info. Before you started using B40 and were still using #2, were you mixing it at the 1/4 oz per gallon ratio (1:512) like the label reccommends, or were you using more/less than that? At that ratio it would cost less than a nickel a gallon to treat the fuel - compared to nearly 7 cents per gallon for the Diesel Kleen.

If it is that much more concentrated than Diesel Kleen, and 1/4 ounce per gallon is enough to do the job, then that sounds like the "best bang for the buck" to me too....

Old 11-20-2006, 04:51 PM
flyboyd8
Senior User
The same company that makes Diesel Kleen also has a diesel additive that the 96 oz bottle will treat 300 gal. it is labeled to reduce the gell of regular Diesel to the point of 50/50 mix or as the labels implies -40f it also has lube and is a cleaner. This product is also available at Walmart, the local TSC's in my area sell either power Server product for $12.28 for the larger bottle. We use the additive by the case for winterizing our summer fuel in the winter here in central NY. The additive comes out to about .5 cents a gallon

Ken in Cold NY

Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by flyboyd8
The same company that makes Diesel Kleen also has a diesel additive that the 96 oz bottle will treat 300 gal. it is labeled to reduce the gell of regular Diesel to the point of 50/50 mix or as the labels implies -40f it also has lube and is a cleaner. This product is also available at Walmart, the local TSC's in my area sell either power Server product for $12.28 for the larger bottle. We use the additive by the case for winterizing our summer fuel in the winter here in central NY. The additive comes out to about .5 cents a gallon

Ken in Cold NY
You sure that's 96 ounces to treat 300 gallons, and not 96 ounces (3/4 gallon) to be mixed at a 1:300 ratio?

Now you have me wondering if I'm remembering right - whether the 96 ounce bottle of Diesel Kleen is supposed to treat 300 gallons (1:400 ratio) or if it is suposed to be mixed at a 1:300 ratio.

I've been adding it at a rate of 1/2 ounce per gallon (1:256 ratio). If it is meant to mix at 1:400 ratio may have been mixing the Diesel Kleen a bit stronger than I thought - though I also remember seeing either 1 bottle for 150 gallons (1:200 ratio) or a 1:150 ratio as one of the recommended mixes.....

Old 11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
Great info. Before you started using B40 and were still using #2, were you mixing it at the 1/4 oz per gallon ratio (1:512) like the label reccommends, or were you using more/less than that? At that ratio it would cost less than a nickel a gallon to treat the fuel - compared to nearly 7 cents per gallon for the Diesel Kleen.

If it is that much more concentrated than Diesel Kleen, and 1/4 ounce per gallon is enough to do the job, then that sounds like the "best bang for the buck" to me too....
I did not track it down to the exact measurements. I have yet to have an injector or IP problem on my 93 truck with 220k and the Howe's did wonders for cleaning up the IP on my 91' so I ususally overdosed as it won't hurt anything. In my mind, money well spent.

Seb....

Quick Reply: Additive Comparison