Sponsored by: DP Tuner

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:59 PM
my72ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water pump

the water pump is leaking on my 2001 f250 i am attempting to replace it tomorrow, i have done alot of water pump replacements on other vehicles but not on s diesel. is there anything in particular that i need to look out for? i did notice that there is no radiator cap,just a cap on the white tank above the radiator/is there a certain technique to refill after the water pump has been replaced? any info is greatly appreciated!!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you remove the fan and cltch make sure you do not drop it into the radiator.

Once you get the fan, shroud and pulley off there is plenty of room to work. Make sure the front cover is clean and scale free before you put the pump back on.

I went with a one piece new replacement instead of using the oem style so i didnt have to worry about the lower hose gasket

Old 11-19-2006, 12:42 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Be careful that the O-ring gasket on the back of the w/p doesn't fall out of the groove when installing. Had this happen once and it got pinched and caused a leak. I usually leave the heater hose off the pipe on the top of the w/p until coolant starts come out when filling. This helps to bleed some the air before starting up.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:50 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really it's pretty straight forward. It was much simpler than I thought it would be. You're right that there is only the one cap, on the degas bottle/overflow tank. It's a pressurized cap though, just like a typical cap on older radiators. Special tools are needed to remove the fan, but they can be bought or borrowed from the parts store. Other than that, good advice is given above.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:18 AM
ATC_250SX
Posting Guru
For the fan, and air hammar makes quick work of spinning them off, you just put it on the side you want it to turn to by the edge of the hex and hit it real quick, with the belt on, the fan usually spins right off with only a few marks on the hex. I like that one peice water pump!! where did you purchase it, its nice to be able to get away from the troublesome necks that rust up and leak.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
That water pump is an Airtex unit. I put the same one on my truck a few weeks ago. I got mine off ebay, and if I remember correctly that's where Alan was looking at his too.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:23 AM
my72ford
Senior User
does the fan clutch hex turn clockwise or cc to come off?? jusdt wanted to be sure b4 i try

Old 11-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
It is reverse thread. I found it easier to break loose from under the truck.

I ended up getting mine from oreilly's locally. I got a new instead of a reman it was 50 bucks more but worth the piece of mind and with the lifetime warranty I just stop by and swap it.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:24 AM
my72ford
Senior User
i got mine from auto zone..a new one..now trying to remove the fan clutch

Old 11-19-2006, 09:10 AM
my72ford
Senior User
btw..thanks for all the info!!

Old 11-19-2006, 12:14 PM
my72ford
Senior User
update! i got the new water pump in and while at it i'm replacing the thermostat,serpentine belt,what a pita to remove the fan clutch!! thanks again for all the help!

Old 11-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
When you replaced that thermostat make sure you DID NOT GET A SHORT STEM VERSION. The short stems will not close the bypass valve when the t-stat opens and the rear of the block can overheat since the coolant is not passing through the radiator.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Don the Tile Man
Freshman User
For those looking for a large enough wrench to take off the fan nut, I purchased a monster sized Crescent wrench from Harbor Frieght and Tool for around $ 35.00. I just couldn't justify paying the $100.00 for one box wrench that I would not likely see anytime soon, again. Sears store in my area had wrenches up to 1 5/8" but no larger and the only places that would have them had the price tag to go with it. Next is the coolant filter.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:07 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I purchased a fan tool from NAPA for just a little over $20. It fits the big nut on the fan and it has a 1/2" square hole on the other end for a breaker bar or socket & torque wrench. I also got a tool to hold the water pump pulley, because I didn't have a strap or chain wrench to hold it.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Dave Tyler
Senior User
Amiller 93, tried to E-mail you but not enough posts or time, so hope you read this. Where I live there is a O'Riely Auto Parts. They show a one piece? Part # CP4114. Is this the correct one? What else do you recommend? I changed hoses out not long ago, radiator ones, what type of ani freeze? Folks have mentioned new type with no additives. I am going to put a coolant filter on also. Use the Black Permatex? The weather here should be O.K. this weekend so hope to tackle. Did change the Fuel O rings thanks to this site so now the Water pump. Yes the Serpentine belt too I will get a new one. Thanks in advance. I hope this counts as a post? Dave

Quick Reply: water pump