Sponsored by: DP Tuner

thought I trashed my motor. . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thought I trashed my motor. . .

I was leaving work tonight. . . motor not even warmed up into the normal range. I was slowely accelerating out of work when I heard a scary noise. Sounded like a rod at first. A very loud clinking. I pulled over and opened the hood, The noise was very prevelant throught the intake. Not audible in the exhaust though. the noise coming out of the intake was like somebody banging their fist in a coffee can. and the rythmic tink could be heard somehwere in the engine. I shut down and looked for a hole in the block. . . no hole. No oil leak. The next thought was I dropped an intake valve. Sounded good to me since I could only hear it in the intake. I pulled off the valve covers and found a bolt for a rocker loose. Turns out it was broken. The rocker fell off the valve stem and onto the spring cap. I don't know what really made the noise. . . but I'm just glad the valve keeper stayed in place. Anyway, I have to find a way to turn out the rest of the broken bolt. I need a new rocker mount. . . since the hole was elongated. Any comments? Any idea what was making that noise?
Tim

Old 11-04-2006, 06:40 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, that is very lucky. It may have been the cam hitting the lifter or the lifter smacking the push rod every time the lobe came around. Was the push rod even in the lifter or was it just laying around? It would be a good time to retorque everything, especially if you have the right VC off already. Other than a left hand drill bit or a bolt extractor, i don't know how else to get it out. so the rocker mount is shot, not just the bolt?

Old 11-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would try a bolt extractor. We use them at work all the time and if you pay attention and follow the instructions they work like a champ. Biggest thing to remember is to not jerk on them. They are extremely hard and as such cannot withstand a shock or side pulling. They will break easy and then you really have a problem. From my experience the best bolt extractors are made by Hansen.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:02 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks Man, I hate to say this but it takes other peoples problems for us to learn. Damn I love this site!!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
mount

Yeah the mount is trashed. I've been thinking how did the outer hole(hole with the bolt that broke) become elongated. Even when the bolt broke. . . there shouldn't have been enough force on it to screw up the hole. The inner bolt turned out by hand. so it was no longer torqued. But i don't know if that was the cause. I could see if the inner bolt came out completely, that it could cause another to snap. But i think the inner just came loose from the movement of the rocker after the outer one snapped.
Tim

Old 11-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
rocker mount

I was looking at that rocker mount again. . . it almost looks like the outer bolt hole is supposed to be elongated. Somewhat oval shaped. I say this because the whole looks even. There are no signs of wear that I can see. Anybody know this for sure or have a mount to compare to? Otherwise I'll pull another one of mine off.
Tim

Old 11-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
got the bolt out

Well I was able to remove the rest of the bolt that was down in the hole. It came out easy. I just put the top half of the bolt in, pressed down and turned it out. The sharp edges along the broken edge helped in the turning. When I put the two pieces back together. . . they are straight more or less. Not like on a bolt that has broken because it has been bent. So I think this bolt just was a weak bolt. As if the tinsle strength was exceeded. Any thoughts?
Tim

Old 11-05-2006, 05:04 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, i would not use a used bolt laying around the shop, get a new one from IH. I am still looking for the part number... unless you have it. I would pull off the other VC and retorque EVERYTHING that you can get to. You may be surprised what may be loose. Especially the head bolts...

Old 11-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
torque

I have already done all of that. Because of murphy's law. . . I pulled the drivers side valve cover off first. . . .and nothing was wrong on that side. It was the other side that has the problem. I'm have retorqued all of them with the exception of the one that is out right now. I am going to replace the pushrod also. . . as it has some scoring from rubing on the head. I am definitely stopping in at international tomorrow to get a pushrod and bolt. i don't think I need a rocker mount. . . see above post as to why. I was just happy the broken bolt came out so easy
Tim

Old 11-06-2006, 08:21 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I sure am glad we don't hear of this happening as often as an intermittant CPS or leaky fuel drain valve.

;-)))

Good diagnosis and fix, Hiflyer.

Pop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 11-06-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
kalsc
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Hilfyer, so after you got everythying sorted out, did the popping or banging go away when you started it back up?

Old 01-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
banging

Yes fixing the bolt solved the problem. . . IE no noise.