Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bought another one need help figuring it out

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 PM
togie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Bought another one need help figuring it out

I just purchased another F350 for my business this one has been played with.
1999 F350 7.3 PS Auto w/ 4" exhaust Garret turbo, Red? water pump and I am pretty sure its been chipped.

This truck came from Sarasota Fl. but is now in Regina Canada.

Is there a way to find out what kind of chip has been used or does it matter as I plan to use a superchip and set it to safe tow mode. This setting is working great in my 94 PS towing a 24 ft trailer usually with about 15-20k lbs. I would like to play with the higher settings but I think my staff would kill the truck.

Will be putting superchip in my 2003 6.0 when the warranty runs out in 10,000km

Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by togie

Is there a way to find out what kind of chip has been used or does it matter as I plan to use a superchip and set it to safe tow mode. This setting is working great in my 94 PS towing a 24 ft trailer usually with about 15-20k lbs. I would like to play with the higher settings but I think my staff would kill the truck.

Will be putting superchip in my 2003 6.0 when the warranty runs out in 10,000km
Nope, unless the chip is still in it which you can check. Also if a tuner was used, and the stock program has not been restored, you're hosed because you can not only not change it, but will be unable to find out.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:32 PM
togie
Junior User
Damm! any ideas I don't want to turn this truck over to the guys like this they will love it but they will kill it.

Iain

Old 10-31-2006, 10:40 PM
togie
Junior User
Just a thought can my Ford dealership restore the stock programing I have a friend that would prob. do this for me?

Iain

Old 10-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jody at www.dp-tuner.com can reburn your PCM to whatever tune you want including stock and Dealers do have the ability to reflash but I bet the dealer will charge more to reflash than jody will for a reburn

Old 11-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by amiller93
Jody at www.dp-tuner.com can reburn your PCM to whatever tune you want including stock and Dealers do have the ability to reflash but I bet the dealer will charge more to reflash than jody will for a reburn
Agreed.
Recommend that you park that truck until you get this issue resolved. There is nothing (IMO) that is harder on a truck than an employee who doesn't have to pay for the upkeep. So make sure it's abuse-proof before hand over the keys.
Get a (max) 40HP reflash from Jody, maybe even one of his stock tunes. It will be way more than sufficient and it will not leave the door open to big repair bills.
The later trucks vs the earlier trucks that you had before already have more power in stock trim. I had NO trouble at all pulling my 13k 5th wheel up the pass even before I added some power. Now I hardly ever have to even shift down.
And all I'm using is the Diable Predator in the Tow/Haul mode.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Agreed.
And all I'm using is the Diable Predator in the Tow/Haul mode.
When are you gonna call Jody, Dan?

David

Old 11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by empiretc
When are you gonna call Jody, Dan?

David
I'm still on the fence. I know that you all love his tunes, but I have a lot of things that I would like to buy, like a nice camera for taking wildlife shots, a telephoto lens to go along with it, a CB radio for the truck.
I just spent a a bunch of money buying a car for my wife and fixing it all up. New transmission, brakes, shocks, wheel bearings, full tune, timing belt, water pump, LOOOOONNNNNGGGG list of things. Two weekends and a lot of days in between spent on the car performing all those repairs. My usual M.O. is to buy a car that has a good solid body, never been wrecked but has a broken timing belt, bent valves, or something like that. This one came in with a hole in the transmission and the owner did not want to fix it. So I bought it for a very low price and spent more than twice what I paid for it on the parts alone just to fix it back up to my standards for my wife to have a reliable, safe car.

The truck still needs to have a new clutch put in and I need to spend the money on that first before a chip. I've purchased new turbo up-pipes to replace while the transmission is out.
Not that I wouldn't love to have one, but with the 4.88 rear axle I hit the rev limiter before the turbo has a chance to fully spool up right now as it is. The only time it really works the engine is when I have the trailer in tow and then I don't want to apply too much power to everything because that can really heat up the EGT.
Maybe some day, a big tax return or something. If I do, I know I'll come back and eat some crow, saying: "Why did I wait so long??!?!"

Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
togie
Junior User
sent DP tuner an email trying to get an idea of turn around time waiting to here back thanks for all the help

Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Togie, just give them a call. They are usually pretty busy and email responses can suffer a delay. Its nice when you call a place and the boss is the one who answers. Jody is the man.