Sponsored by: DP Tuner

quiet exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:08 PM
gk45
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question quiet exhaust

i want an exhaust system for my 2000 reg cab that will help with egt,s . Is there a system that sounds good, not one that sounds like a helicopter, or that pooping sound , but one that is kinda quiet. A friend has a bully dog system on his, and i dont think it sounds good. Maybe im asking for too much, just hope someone can help me out.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:18 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look into an MBRP exhaust system. Add an expensive Aeroturbine 4040T resonator onto the system, and the sound should decrease some. It eliminates the humming drone noise that is typically found on aftermarket exhaust systems due to thinner walled-steel.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:59 PM
gk45
Freshman User
thanks for the info strokin_it7.3. I think i seen a resonator advertised in the xtreme diesel site.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:00 PM
gk45
Freshman User
oh, does it go before the the muffler or after.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:03 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
The aeroturbine is designed to go as close to the beginning of the exhaust as possible, usually right on the end of the downpipe. they do make a 3.5" 3535T for the stock system. But that is like wiping before you poop, on a stock exhaust system.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Pooping sound???
That's the funniest description of Powerstroke exhaust flutter I've heard yet.
There is really no way to get rid of it except leave the stock exhaust on there to provide some back pressure. It's a side effect of a v-block engine and the way the exhaust pulses arrive at the turbocharger, etc.
I'm not real thrilled with it either, in fact if I had to choose something to change about my PSD, that would be my choice without hesitation.
But having a big poopy sounding exhaust is more desirable than having the EGT's go up too high.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:18 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Pooping sound???
That's the funniest description of Powerstroke exhaust flutter I've heard yet.
There is really no way to get rid of it except leave the stock exhaust on there to provide some back pressure. It's a side effect of a v-block engine and the way the exhaust pulses arrive at the turbocharger, etc.
I'm not real thrilled with it either, in fact if I had to choose something to change about my PSD, that would be my choice without hesitation.
But having a big poopy sounding exhaust is more desirable than having the EGT's go up too high.
Ha i looked over it and thought it said "popping". Perhaps that is what he meant. I do get a poop eating grin on my face when that happens though , like -->

Old 10-31-2006, 08:08 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my MBRP 4" turbo back. its not that loud with the muffler. thought about taking the muffler doing a delete, but I have ohter things to spend my money on. now with a quiet exhuast the motor is louder and sings just fine. hope that helps. plus it was easy to install, which also is nice

Old 11-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
gk45,

The Bully Dog systems use a hollow core unpacked muffler so the sound is lets say different! Get an MBRP or AFE systesm as they use a muffler that is packed with a ceramic blanket and stainless steel wool, makes all the difference in the world in the sound level and sound quality. If you have any questions on them please call us we'll be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 11-01-2006, 05:56 PM
gk45
Freshman User
sorry guys ,i meant pooping sound. This describes it best for me. Think i will check on a mbrp system. I can tolerate some noise, just didnt like the sound of bully dog.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by gk45
sorry guys ,i meant pooping sound. This describes it best for me. Think i will check on a mbrp system. I can tolerate some noise, just didnt like the sound of bully dog.
You mean POPPING sound? The best way i've found to describe it is a very loud resonate humming bird kind of noise.

If you did mean pooping, well, just consider yourself lucky most people don't sound so pretty when they poop!