Sponsored by: DP Tuner

edge evolution questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:06 PM
mudracin74
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
edge evolution questions

i recently purchased an 01 powerstroke with an auto tranny and am looking in to up-grades. does anyone run the edge evolution programmer, and are they worth the money. also would it be okay to run with stock exhaust and what not. thanks for the help

Old 10-29-2006, 08:13 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mudracin74
i recently purchased an 01 powerstroke with an auto tranny and am looking in to up-grades. does anyone run the edge evolution programmer, and are they worth the money. also would it be okay to run with stock exhaust and what not. thanks for the help
im very new at this but id get gauges.. trans temp, egt, and boost get a at least a 4' exhaust and i highly recamend a dp tuner..i just put mine in what a bast it is...jody is speedy and does a great job..see my mods below...

Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer your question about the Edge Evolution.

I have one stacked with the Juice/Attitude monitor. I run the evolution by itself when I tow heavy. I have had no issues with the evolution and enjoy it immensely.
YES, if you want a ludicrous ammount of power and torque go with Jody Tipton. If you want enough to scare the bejesus out of the general public, then the Edge products are enough.

A larger exhaust system, is recomended. I would also ad an EGT as well....if you can't tell what the engine is trying to tell you, then you minds well pour sand in the intake.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Ford RV'er
Junior User
Dan, I have a Juice/Attitude as well and think it's great. I tow a 13k 5'er and have thought about getting the Evolution. Can you tell me what you enjoy about it? What does it do for you when towing? What do you mean you use the Evolution alone when you tow heavy? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:30 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Im usin the Evo now because my chip needs to be reburned. Like buickturbo said, if you a ton of power go to DP. If you just want to scare people go with edge.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:45 PM
crosbo
Senior User
I can't speak for the Evolution, but I'm quite satisfied with the Juice/A2 combination I have now.

Shortly after I purchased my rig, I purchased a Diablo chip and was surprised right from start up...but it just didn't run quite right. So, I shipped it to Florida and waited. While waiting, I stumbled upon a friend who had a Dyno Sources (older) chip that only had one setting, but reportedly would add some nice horses and torque (can't remember exact #'s) and improve my economy while being safe to tow with. It was with this chip and several other mod's that I was finally able to consistently reach the 21mpg mark on 100+ mile runs.

However, what I wanted was gauges without having to butcher up my interior, because I really like everything to look clean and neat. Then I had a friend/co-worker who sold his rig to Roulan Gardner's (Olympic wrestler) company and purchased a 6.0...even against my advise. The good news is that he had a Juice/Attitude combo which I was able to pick up at a really nice price. The hardest part of the install, was waiting two days...1 for the new pyro from Edge to arrive and another to get it in the shop to have the pyro installed. 20-30 minutes into the install and I had a unit that looked like it was original equipment in the dash.

However, I was also in the market for GPS...and as luck would have it, I stumbled upon the new A2 at a great price and rationalized that the $800 price tag was actually the same or less than the GPS NAV units I was looking at...while providing an ALL-IN-ONE solution. SWEET!

Anyway, I love my A2/Juice combo. I don't have a 10K TT to tow, but I have towed my 7-series BMW on a very heavy duty trailer from Idaho to San Antonio across several mountain passes and 4 deserts and have been very pleased. I was especially pleased when towing a large heavily loaded trailer when moving back to Texas and the "system" backed itself down and worked like a dream.

In short, I can't vouch for the Evolution, but I can say that I am extremely pleased with the A2 and Juice combo.

Best of luck to you, whatever system you choose.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
JRB
Senior User
edge evolution questions Reply to Thread

I am using the evolution with no problems, the only thing I don't like is I have to reprogram each time I want to change settings. But considering the price, I can put up with it. You should get guages before use the programer. I agree with John311t comments.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:11 PM
wolfe1104
Senior User
I have been running the evo for some time now on my 01. And there are only a couple things I dislike about it.
One being the hard shifts under heavy load. Im not sure if other experience this or if its just something that Im not used.
The other is what JRB was saying about having to reprogram when ever you want to change your setting. Granted it only takes 5min, but sometimes shift on the fly would be nice. Besides that though i am extemly pleased. For the price i believe that its a great deal.

As everyone else said though. Make sure you get a good set of gauges, running the 100hp setting and even the 80hp setting those egts like to shoot up there.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Reprogramming makes me mad!!!! Its locked up on me twice and it makes me write down this long code incase something goes wrong i can still start it. I dont know why it locked up but it would get to 64% when it would be reprogramming(right before you see the SD blown coal at the end) and it would lock up and do nothing. I would not run the evo on any setting other than tow without gauges. Going with a larger exhaust would be the second thing but get the gauges then exhaust then evo.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:48 AM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
The Evo will firm up the shifts in "tow tune" by increasing the line pressures at stock shift points...which is what you want. The Attitude (old version) will do it by extending shift points and letting rpm bring up line pressures...not good.

Yup, there's some down time between tunes. I am a patient man.

I remove all of the settings that the Juice/Attitude add and set it back to stock. I then use the evolution only for the tow tune. The Juice/attitude combo allow you to put the truck back to stock programming.

BUT - when you use the Evo on extreme AND the Juice/Attitude on extreme, it's a whole lotta fun.

Awe inspiring sites: Niagra Falls, the Pyramids in Egypt, Grand Canyon, The Great Barrier Reef, and an F350 Dually barking third gear with an automatic.

Last edited by BuickTurbo; 10-30-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM
H2oRodeo
Freshman User
I've been using the Evo for almost 2yrs now. Yeah, waiting for the re-program is annoying, but I rarely change settings. I have it stacked with an Edge E-Z module under the hood set to the 60hp setting and the Evo on the 80hp program. Plenty of power, tows great ( EGT's stay in the "sane range"). I have to concur with everyone else that has chimed in and say "get gauges and an exhaust if you're going to add a chip/programmer/module to your truck! It's just reasonable insurance that your truck will remain happy after you "juice" it up and keep performing for you for years to come.