1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 F-3 extended cab, part II

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:30 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, seemed like the other thread I started kinda died off, so I figured I'd start up a fresh one. As promised I finished up my concept sketches of my plans for my 52. in my gallery I have 2 pictures... both include a 22inch stretch, but I have 2 differant variants for the rear side windows, one uses a set of modified door window frames, the other uses one that I'd have to make.
If you could, please take a look and let me know that you think, and which of the 2 styles you like more. Also, they both have show my rough idea for a paint scheme, so again I wouldn't mind input, thanks all. the link below will take you to that page in my gallery.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&userid=497&albumid=2121

hehe, only about 2 more months until I can actually start this whole thing..

Jon

Old 11-05-2002, 11:18 AM
gdub
Senior User

Since you now have an extra set of doors, why not make it a 4-door. You can suicide the rear doors like the new supercabs. Might actually be less welding involved than doing the solid extension.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:20 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,083 Likes on 813 Posts

[table width="650" border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#EDEBEB"]
[tr][td][FONT FACE="ARIAL" SIZE="3"]
I think I like the square window better as long as you match the curve with the back of the door windows. I still think you would have an easier time if you used a frame from an existing vehicle. There has to be something out there that will work, keep looking.
Keep us informed of you project

Bob

[/TD][/TR]
[TR] [TD]
http://www.specialtycontrolpanels.com/images/paneltruck.gif
[/TD][/TR]
[tr][td][FONT FACE="ARIAL" SIZE="4" COLOR="RED"][B][/FONT][link:www.specialtycontrolpanels.com/trucksindex.html|Click Here To Visit My Truck Page][/td][/tr][/TABLE]

Old 11-05-2002, 12:34 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the square windows also. I like the paint job I'm going to do something similar but the middle above grill and below will match the fenders. Just like my truck looks in the before pictures. I know your going to use wood to shape the panels. How are you going to support the cab?

Nathan

Old 11-05-2002, 12:44 PM
dgb2002
Junior User

I like the square windows also.

grant
49 f1

Old 11-05-2002, 01:27 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Nov-02 AT 03:09 PM (EST)]Ok, I'm glad people like the square windows, cuz I was leaning in that direction anyways.. and yes Bob I'll be making sure the front edge of the window will be parallel to the rear of the door window and the radius will be the same on the corners. And I'm still open to suggestions for specific vehical I could yank a set of windows from (or better yet something someone has sitting around). But I think I'll still end up at least playing around a bit trying to make a set.

I have toyed with the idea of a 4 door cab,(or just a 3 door) with suicide rears like the newer trucks, but not sure how I'd go about doing that, plus with the current doors I have the bottom 6 inches are shot, inside and out... and the passengers is dented badly on the inside, so I think I'd rather just use them for parts instead of fixing them. But I do still have about 2 months of planning time at least, so if you have suggestions on how to go about this (pics would be great) maybe I'll concider it. If I do go with the 4 (3) door idea, I think I'd have to change my idea for the rear seats though. I had been planning on a set of side facing fold up seats from a 70's extended cab.. that would mean seats attached to the doors (puts new meaning to the term suicide doors )

Nathan, when your asking me how I'm going to support the cab, do you mean while I'm actually building the cab? or how I'm going to support the final product? I currently have welded in an internal support frame (lots of X-bracing) using square tubing to keep everything lined up right, and to keep it from flexing since my floor is gone, and I currently have the firewall removed as well. this frame will stay in place until I am done with everything, and I think I'll add to it as I extend the cab to hold the pieces in place as I piece it together.

I'm also glad I hear some postive comment on the paint, but that may change before I actually spray it, it will probably change the day I buy the paint

Keep the comments coming, thanks to all who have already commented.

Jon

Old 11-05-2002, 09:19 PM
BELLM
Senior User

I vote for the windows in the first sketch. I took the liberty of opening the drivers side door and taking a peek inside. Looks like the radio blockout plate and ashtray mount worked out well!:7

Old 11-05-2002, 09:27 PM
BELLM
Senior User

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Thanks for starting a new post. For some reason I feel compelled to read every part of every post and the old one was getting long, Move to central Texas and I will set you up with some doors that are not rusted out, like those in Michigan, so you can go the 4 door route, My wife would love for me to get rid of some of my rusty treasures.

Old 11-05-2002, 10:28 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru

Yeah Eddie, those parts did work out good, hopefully I'll actually get a pic of the actual dash up soon so ya can actually see them I'll try to get that film developed soon and update that part of my gallery with progress pics.

As far as parts go, I think I really need to take a road trip down to see my Aunt and Uncle down near Austin, and be pulling a trailer behind me =) I know there is a lot of sheetmetal just waiting for me out there. Would be kinda funny though, cuz it was due to a road trip that I took with a buddy that got me this truck in the first place.

But yeah, I know my questions got lost in the other thread, kinda figured everyone had given up on reading it.
So far though I'm pretty certain I'll be going with the rectangular windows, may play around here in the next few weeks to see how easily I could make a set.

Anyways, thanks for the input everyone, and please keep the comments coming, I love to hear what you have to say regarding my insanity (I got blue ovals on the brain)

Jon

Old 11-06-2002, 12:21 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver

If you went the four door route. I'd put a passenger door on the drivers side and vise versa. You would have the hinges at the back and would be easier to fabricate the door frame. The windows would also slant to the back to.

Nathan
Also thanks for the point.

Old 11-06-2002, 04:15 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru

looking at things, I think I may avoid going the 4 door route. In my mind at least it seems like it would be a lot more complicated than doing a simple extended cab. I may however look at maybe doing a 3 door version (suicide door on drivers side) but we'll see. would end up with basically a half width door on that side. I think I'd end up having to pirate some parts from a newer truck that had that type of door for locking hardware.
Anyways, I do more figuring on this, see if it would be feasable.. any suggestions would be welcome.

Jon

Old 11-06-2002, 11:45 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru

hehe, I curse upon all your heads (J/K) for those of you who got me thinking on this 3 door idea, cuz I think I have a way of doing it figured out. The only problem with my idea is that it will require a section taken from another cab (something I do not have and may have trouble getting).
My idea about how to make a suicided rear door for the extended portion of the cab uses a drivers side door, hinges from a passengers door, and a section taken from a drivers side rear door pillar. Not certain exactly how to explain how I'd piece these together yet to you all, but I have a picture in my mind and I may try and sketch something up. Still have no idea what to do for latches for the door, but I know I'd have to have something on top and bottom since I wouldn't have a center pillar to lock it into. Ahhh, is there any reason and logic within my insanity? Can anyone kinda picture what I may be planning here? Questions/comments greatly appreciated.

Jon

PS, does anyone possibly have access to a junk cab that would have a decent drivers side rear door pillar? I wouldn't need the whole cab, just the pillar. I wouldn't need one anytime in the nnear future, but may be in the market later on if I go through with this idea.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:08 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver

Would the handle be on the outside or inside. If it is outside you could just use some passenger parts(handle,latch etc). If it is inside I'd hate to say it but you could use a latch off a 80-90's ch**y van with double side doors. You could also just put a small latch at the bottom of the door.

Nathan

Old 11-07-2002, 02:16 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru

What I'm thinking will use a door handle on the inside, I "might" be able to adapt a stock inside door handle. If not my other idea might be to use the handle setup from a new Ford extended cab(I know I've seen them in 98 and up trucks) with this sort of setup that had the door handle in the edge of the door itself, maybe could find that in a junkyard that has newer trucks.. maybe something that was rolled or hit broadside and toasted the door.
As far as latches, I may look through some of my hotrod/streetrod magazines, I know I've seen ads for latches for doors and trunks, sure I could find one that would work. If not I could always roam the local boneyard, see what I could find in the Ford section.
I just need to figure out which way I wanna go on this project, cuz each idea will take a separate approach to sectioning the cab (differant cut locations). Right now I am leaning towards a 3 door version, with a solid extention on the passengers side, and the suicided door on the drivers. If I do do this though, I'm gunna need to track down a junk cab that I can chop out the rear door pillar on the drivers side do use as a section of my door. Gunna be some fun welding, but I'm up to it.
I can't believe how much this simple project is snowballing.. oh well, if I can pull it off, this should be a real head turner, thats if I don't go insane in the process.

Anybody near Michigan got a junk cab lying around they might be willing to cut a few pieces out of for me? I think thats going to be my limiting factor on all this.

Jon

Old 11-07-2002, 04:42 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User

just a random thought.... how bout a rear door off a panel ? they have 2 doors and the left door has the hardware to latch it from the inside, and the right door has the external latch.... i might have an extra set of latches.

Robert