1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

??? 2nd Time I ask: ... who can help with data/pics on Flat Bed ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 02:10 PM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings from Germany !!!

... I had this question some time ago, but not too much luck with answers. So I try again.

I want to build a flat bed for my 54 F100 and wonder if someone can send/e-mail me some photos and/or some drawings ?!?!? I want to build the mounting brackets as well as the 'frame' out of square steel tubing and then use wood for the bed. Guess pics from a F250 or F350 would also help as the basic idea can't be that much different.

Hope I am more lucky this time (... and don't just get 'funny' responses - even so I find funny responses funny, too - but they just won't help).

THANX !!!

Old 11-29-2002, 02:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Kai

This probably isn't quite what you had in mind for help. There are flatbeds on ebay almost all the time. Check ebay motors pre-80 Ford truck section. I assume you have looked throught the FTE gallery already.

As far as "funny answers" go. Flat beds don't look out of place on these trucks as long as you keep them basic. If I was doing one it would be square tube also. Put cross braces at the same location the stock ones are for a wooden bed. It should be very straight forward. If you avoid getting too creative it will look good. You could even use stock style bed strips. Fabbing fancy stuff on the sides starts looking like you are hauling around a mini-stage for the high school drama club.

'fenders

Old 11-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Kai
Elder User

'fenders, I fully agree.

I want it as basic (but still as authentic) as possible. I sure won't use any fancy aluminium boxes under the bed or so. ... and this bed is to be used for hauling and I therefore do not need any shiny stuff.

Yeah, will ceck e-bay. ... and Yeah, I checked the gallery from 50 - 60, but there's not much and the few pics don't show details. Guess almost all 50s truckers want the stepside or fleetside beds.

:-)

Old 11-30-2002, 10:38 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure you want to use wood? I would think that the climate in Germany might make you think twice about wood since it warps, cracks, etc. My '59 is a standard short bed that, when I bought it, had a piece of plywood as the floor bed. It was warped, etc. Since I plan on using my truck like a truck, but want it to look sharp too, I had steel diamond-plate (the regular steel, not the chrome stuff) welded in with two cross-members for strength. Then, I coated the entire inside of the bed (walls, tailgate and all) with a "Rhino-lining" type paint-in coating for protection against the elements. I live just below the snow line in the Sequoia National Forest! Also beaded-in some seam-sealer (from a body shop supply store)to seal the seams and keep water from doing its damage around the seams and underside.

As far as the install, I agree with what has been posted already. Square tubing in the stock positions, adding cross bars for strength. The wood though? Hmmm, might be a LOT of maintenance on your part just to keep it workable for throwing stuff in and out of the bed. Up to you though....

Keep the flat bed portion simple though, 'Fenders is also right about that! Simple and functional is what you want from a flatbed.

Daryl

P.S.- on a personal note, I'll be sorry to see the regualr bed go; I like the looks of your truck. Flatbeds are so utilitarian-looking. Oh well, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do...

Old 11-30-2002, 10:51 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Daryl

Kai is probably hoping to win the lottery so he can afford shipping on a stock bed but the flatbed will look decent for now. The wood bed will not be no maintenance or course but will more correct on a 54. The treadplate would certainly be more practical. Something many of us here are rarely accused of. 88 Rangers are practical.

Or am I all wet here? When was treadplate invented? Is it appropriate for the 1954 era?

'fenders

Old 11-30-2002, 02:16 PM
Kai
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Nov-02 AT 03:17 PM (EST)]Daryl,

... thanx for your thoughts. Understand your point re. using metal rather than wood. Now there are two reason why I would go with wood. One being that woodworking is my other hobby and the other being that my truck (even so used to haul) will be garaged most all the time.

As for the original bed. Don't worry. I have it and I will use it, even so I have not started any restauration effort on it and my tailgate as a thousand dings. I also have a spare fender which goes with that side mounted spare tire (also have the bracket to mount the tire). I like this, too. And finally I still got a set of fiber glas fenders, too. Call me 'fenders if you wish. Or may be you should not call me 'fenders because there a nice fellow around here who is already known as 'fenders and we like him much.

Anyway, I am kinda dreaming of some 'quick change' thing. I.e. swapping beds depending on the job. Not sure how practical that is as any bed weights more than two can easily lift. Anyway, just a thought.

I agree with 'fenders and you about making it super simple. As I said above, I am not going to mount polished aluminum boxes under the flat bed or anything. One thing, however, worries me a bit and that is the exhaust. I hate to see to much stuff hanging under a truck. I am going to run a dual exhaust and I plan on using the huge Flowmaster mufflers I have sitting on my shelf since 10 or more years. I still think I can mount all that high and/or between the frame rails to make it kinda invisible. Certainly hope that this won't set my wooden bed on fire.

Greetings from Germany !!!

Old 01-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Mac55
New User

I have an original 55 flat bed I belive was a dealer installed item.
anyway I use it as a trailer now and have a standard bed on my 55.

I have no dgital camera?

It has the Ford logo on the back, is this what you are looking for?

Old 01-07-2003, 08:02 PM
BELLM
Senior User
Post ??? 2nd Time I ask: ... who can help with data/pics on Flat Bed ???

Mac55 what part of the world do you live in? Your trailer sounds interesting. Maybe one of the regulars here might live close by and could take a digital photo. I would like to see the original flatbed.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Hi Kai,
Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.truck-roundup.com/ClassicTruckDealers/NorthernClassicTrucks.html

Don't know if this will help you or not, but it came from a '59 sales brochure. I believe they are the same for your year as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=12282&.jpg

Old 01-07-2003, 09:41 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kenny,

That picture looks very helpful. Could you repost it at 800 x ??? (the max resolution) as my old eyes can't read the details. Or maybe break it into two pics, each 800x???. Thanks.

George

Truck restoration - does the fun ever start?
See my 1956 F-250 in progress at www.clubfte.com/users/earl/index.html

Old 01-08-2003, 12:58 AM
Kai
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Jan-03 AT 02:04 AM (EST)]Mac, yes, a few pics of what you have would be great. Did it come off a F100 or a F250 and up ?

Kenny, right, that is very helpful. My eyes are as bad as Georges. Can you re-post in larger size. Thanx a lot.

I did check this web site of Northern Classic Trucks before, but the pic from the rear does not show any further details.

It'll take me a few more month to finish other stuff. Guess by late spring I'll be starting to work on the bed. $100 worth of metal and half a reel of welding wire (is that what you call it ?) for my Mig/Mag should do.

Old 01-08-2003, 09:36 AM
DonF
Junior User

My 49 F-1 has a factory stake bed. Don't have a picture to post but can tell you that it looks identical to the one that Kenny posted of the 59 Brochure. Lookes like they used that design for many years. I don't think a picture of mine would give you any better detail then Kenny's post. If, however, I can give you some specific details or measurements of an F-1 stake bed, let me know. On the 49 F-1, They used long running boards (different from regular pickup) and little stub fenders in front of the rear wheels. Certainly not your usual looking F-1.

Old 01-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Kai
Elder User

DonF,

... thanx for the reply. Maybe you can take a few measurements for me.

1. What's the measurement from the top of the frame rail just behind the cab to the to of the flat bed wood ?

2. On that scetch above it appears that there's a pretty tall set of square tubes used between the frame rails and the flat bed itself. Now since the frame has a little upswing in the rear axle area it won't work to set another tall straight square tube on top of that. How's that done ? Or does that not go over the whole length of the bed ?

A view pics or some more scetches would sure help.

Thanx.

Old 01-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Guys,
Sorry about that!
I would be more than happy to re-post the picture for you, but I'll need a little help.

When you refer to "800 x resolution", are you refering to the size in pixels?, or the resolution output?
As you can tell, I have very little experience in re-sizing pictures.
Could you walk me through this?
Thanks!

Old 01-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Kai
Elder User

Kenny,

... I saw you have this pic in the FTE gallery and it is 520x208 pixel (right click and then properties). FTE has a certain size limit for pics. Thought it was 720 by something. However, if the 520x208 is the actual size then you cannot make it larger as the pictute quality will suffer and it remains unreadable. Did you scan this ? If yes, then you can do that with a better resolution.

Not sure if this all makes sense. Maybe George is better in the computer stuff.

Thanx again.

Quick Reply: ??? 2nd Time I ask: ... who can help with data/pics on Flat Bed ???