1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

DIY Injectors installed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:20 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
DIY Injectors installed.

I just wanted to tell you guys about my experience with these injectors. A few months back I had the opportunity to buy a set of injectors out of a truck in a junk yard near me for $350. I bought them with the idea of building the DIY 180 injectors. That way I didn't have to have my truck down for more than one evening.

So I emailed Jim at DIY injectors and asked about the kit. I told him my plans with the truck and asked his honest opinion of what size injectors I should go with. He told me that if I wanted to go with the 180 kit, I would run the risk of throwing a check engine light (CEL) alot because even the SD HPOP I had planned would be taxed by the demand of the 180cc injectors.He recomended that I go with a 160cc set up instead. Well, I hate the CEL and went with what he said.

Jim, and I went back and fourth with emails because I had a ton of questions. He answered everything I threw at him in a timely fashion and never got short with me. Alot of people will tire of you asking a ton of questions that they have answered a thousand times. Not Jim. He was EXTREMELY helpfull and friendly through the whole process. Finally I ordered my 160cc kit with a parts pack and pre machined 160cc intesifier pistons. All for $448 shipped.

When the kit arrived, I was very impressed. Everything packaged and label very clearly and neatly. The picture CD was fantastic. It let you see everything you needed to know. And the injector clamp was cool too. New tools are always cool. However I did grind the pins on the clamp because they were a little long and stuck into the injector to far. That was the only flaw in the kit.

Once I started to build the injectors all the pics and instructions were spot on. And after the third one I really didn't need the instructions anymore. But I kept going back to them just in case. But I didn't build them all at one time. I kinda went at a 1 a day pace. I had to go back into the first two I built to check something I was unsure about. Though not nessisary (sp) I freshened all the surfaces on all the parts in the injectors with scotch brite. And I didn't think I cleaned the barrels good enough on the first two, so I went back in. And on the second one I broke a dowel putting it back together. At that point I was REALLY glad I bought the $38 parts pack. So take note, if you hear a crunch sound when screwing the two halves of the injector back together, it's too late, it's gotta come back apart. In the beginning it took 2 hours to build the first one, by the end they were taking 50 min.. If you have enough skill to remove the injectors from the truck, you can easily do the mods. And to be honest there are no mods to the injector, the machined intesifier piston is what makes it flow more fuel. Unless you upgrade to 530 nozzles. But still that's just a replacement part. There is no machining, drilling or modifying to anything in the injector. The kit just comes with new parts that wear out in the injector. It really is easy.

I won't go into the install of the injector because there is a ton of info on how to do it and I think it would be a moot point. The end result is what I want to tell you about. So I will start with the test drive. And remember, I have a DP-Tuner 2 pos chip with a 40hp and 120hp burns. So the point here is that my programming is now wrong for the setup I have, keep that in mind.

Okay, the truck is back together and I got it started. So I let it sit and idle while I clean up for about 30 min. The idle is a little irradic but that's just because there is still some air in the oil. I get everything cleaned up and off I go. Nice and easy, just putting around on some back roads. I'm watching the gauges and the smoke coming from the stacks. I know that you should at least drive the truck 30 miles or more to try and get the air out of the oil, so that's what I had planned to do. But for the first 12 miles I was MORTIFIED, the truck had ZERO POWER. It was belching blue smoke and had no acceleration. I knew the blue smoke was the oil left in the cylinders, but the no power had me really scared. At this point, I had figured I had done something wrong and I was pissed. I watched my boost gauge and I had NOTHING. And then it hit me, I never put the line back on from the intake to the map sensor.... The computer couldn't see boost, so it gave me no fuel.

Pulled over and put that line back on and holy shizzle the truck came alive. I was running in my 40 program this whole time and I wasn't going to mess with the other until I had driven it enough. So now I'm happy and feeling more relax and confident. So I get out on the highway to log some more miles. The truck was extremely smooth and the power was very solid. Even though I wan't romping on it, it just felt good, REALLY GOOD. So by mile 25 I couldn't take it anymore. I pulled the mad max switch on the shifter that controlls my chip into the 120 setting and MASHED ON IT!!! (insert all the cuss words you would use to exclaim how cool something is here) WOW!!! I never imagined injectors would make this kind of power difference. Holy Crap the truck took off like I never imagined. And the smoke coming out of the stacks was STUPID THICK! (keep in mind wrong programing) The perma grin had set in. I'm just amazed at the power increase.

Before, I was getting about 26 psi max boost on the nitrous. Now with straight diesel I can peg my 35psi gauge in a big hurry. Even in the taller gears. I have the Gear Vendors overdrive and it was even solid in double overdrive.

So in short, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the DIY injectors and I would definatly recomend them to everyone that thinks they might like to do it. I'm not saying these are better than Beans, or Swamps by any means. Those guys prove they make great products everyday, it's all over the boards we read. But I like the fact that I got to put these injectors together and I didn't have to give up my stock injectors. I hate core charges. But that's how they continue to make injectors for everyone at affordable prices. If it weren't for the cores you send them, the injectors would be ALOT more expesive. But since I built a set of injectors from a junk yard and not my stockers, now I have my platform for Stage 2's

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to say for those concidering the DIY Injectors, you won't be sorry. Later guys.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
man, thats awesome! so basically you just took your injectors apart and replaced all the parts inside that would wear out and slapped in some larger pistons (allowing more fuel)?

$450-$500 is well within my price range and really the only reason i havent done injectors yet is due to finances! i'm going to seriously look into the DIY b/c as we all know i love to do stuff on my own!

now that you've done it could this project be done in a weekend? like from friday afternoon to sunday night without being too rushed?

got any pics of the STUPID THICK smoke?

-cutts-

Old 10-12-2006, 12:46 PM
my79f
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
holy cow i can attest to the stupid thick smoke.

so i was sittin at work (mccoys yard) and i get this call from cody saying go to the fence by the road, i asked why and all i get is a just do it and keep your eyes peeled so i did, and then all of a sudden i see cody goin by with smoke billowing out his stacks, i swear the smoke was so thick you could barely see through it, and so there was a nice long (150 to200 yards) of smoke just floating in the air. it was the high light of the day for me.

austin

Old 10-12-2006, 12:54 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
hell ya! i see this as being my next project after i finish building the roll cage for the bronco (that hurt the wallet!!!)

-cutts-

Old 10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Fishy, it can definatly be done in that time frame if you can focus on it. I figure friday evening after you get home park the truck where you are going to work on it and let it cool while you eat. Go out and pull the injectors. Saturday build them. If figure 10 hours to build them. Because your gonna question yourself, or at least I did. But once you get rolling they go pretty quick. And all day Sunday to put them in and go for a drive. I think it's very doable. I'm telling ya, it's not that hard. And I screwed up on the install, I tried to avoid pulling the glow plugs because of the horror stories of not being able to come out. My glow plugs haven't worked since I've had the truck and I figured they would be thick with carbon. So I kept going back and sucking the oil/fuel out of the cylinders about every 10 minutes. Then I realized I was being stupid and wasting ALOT of time. So I pulled the glow plugs, and they came out no problem. So I replaced them. But I left them out until I got all the injectors in and turned the motor over. Then I knew the cylinders were clear as they were gonna be. And I also stressed about getting fuel in the oil, and should I change the oil. Then I stopped and thought about it. It can't go back into the oil supply, it's only coming out into the cylinders, and I'm sucking it out. So after I quit stressing about oil/ fuel in the cylinders and all that other crap, the install was a breeze. But I did need a rubber dead blow mallet to tap the injectors into their seat. Anyway, Thanks for the comfirmation on the smoke Austin, I knew you would want to see that. And I'll try to get a pic up soon. Later.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:47 PM
14psd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds pretty simple, cuz I've had to replace an injector in the past. Please post some pics!!!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 07:56 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
nice ill write more later when i pull in. glad you got it done finally!

Old 10-12-2006, 07:58 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Give me the weekend for the pics guys. The wife and I are going out of town for our anniversery and we can get some pics then. Cuz when we're home we have 2 yr old triplets and just going outside to take a few pics is a pain. So while we're away from the kids, I'll see what we can do.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:18 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

1997,Well, it's not all done. Just the injectors and pump. I still have the week after next off from work to do.......intercooler, nitrous bottle heater, HPX line, gutted EBPV, and a few other things. My dodge buddy I work with dropped a bomb on me last week and said he was leaving the company. That meant I would have one more shot at beating him. Long story short, They let him go before we had a chance. But we'll meet again somewhere down the road, and I'll really be ready.

Last edited by RubberDuck; 10-13-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:46 PM
73strokin
Senior User
RubberDuck, are you seeing or expecting a decrease in mileage with these new injectors? (under normal driving) What sort of mileage did you get before and after. I would think it would decrease, because of the fact that you are dumping more fuel into the engine. But on the other hand, some people say they maintain or increase their mileage because they have more power on tap and don't need to step on the accelerator so hard. I would like to know because a saw these injectors myself a while ago and thought about rebuilding the ones in my truck. I've been considering machining my own pistons though, rather than buying them. Your input is appreciated!

Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Strokin, I couldn't tell you about fuel mileage. I've been driving like a jackazz since I installed them. Which has only been about a week. But before I was getting about 17 on average. When I can finally stay out of the throttle for a while, I'll let you know.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:58 PM
73strokin
Senior User
RubberDuck, I'll be waiting to hear from you! I'm really considering this mod, and these DIY injectors are an economical way to do it, but I don't want to kill my mileage in the process.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 73strokin
RubberDuck, I'll be waiting to hear from you! I'm really considering this mod, and these DIY injectors are an economical way to do it, but I don't want to kill my mileage in the process.
then just get a honda civic for 'runnin errands duties and run the truck when you need to pull and wanna be a jackazz around town

-cutts-