N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez
View Poll Results: Should we allow guns?
No guns, no exception.
6.25%
No guns, except when chapter activity involves them (target shooting, skeet range, ect).
0%
Don't ask, don't tell. Members should be discreet and use judgment in displaying their weapons.
81.25%
Guns totally acceptable.
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Guns and Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:51 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Guns and Trucks

I grew up in the wilds of the west, and assume that every truck I see has a gun aboard. For years I kept a 22 rifle behind the seat of my pickup, and had a pistol stored near the door of every camper I ever had.

Indeed, the saddle blanket seat covers most of us bought had a pouch built in the front of the bottom that would hold a rifle, and my van has a pouch on the door just right for slipping a small pistol in.

I now carry pepper spray, but more because I am afraid someone would take my pistol away from me and make me eat it than worry about the gun laws. I am not a gun nut, nor do I belong to the NRA - but I occasionally sleep beside the road, and do get off into some lonely country.

The question has come up on the chapter leader's forum about banning members who bring guns to chapter meetings. While I sure wouldn't want to be around some inexperienced gun owner flashing a loaded pistol in a crowd, I see nothing wrong with someone that has a gun in his truck. We are all responsible adults.

I told them that a rule against guns would either be totally ignored, or that some people would not attend a meeting where they were banned.

What do you guys think? Please answer the poll, and express your thoughts below. I will go along with the majority on this - - -

Old 10-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd say it's a personal choice kind of thing. Most of the time you don't know who is carrying and who isn't. Obviously, if a person has a gun, they are carrying a big responsibility as well as a defensive tool. If you make a rule against guns, some people are likely to be alienated by it. And it also brings up the question of, What happens if a gun is needed? You never expect to have to use your gun, but you carry it because there is a possibility that you find yourself in a situation where it would be the only remedy for a bad predicament.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:14 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Not fair, Bdox --- you did not vote!

Old 10-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by WillyB
Not fair, Bdox --- you did not vote!
Sorry, fixed that.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:38 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that bringing attention to the presence, or non-presence of a legal gun, carried legally by a responsible adult, is unnecessary and distracting. I don't understand the intent of the question here. It seems that someone is making a big deal about alot of nothing.
Of course, I would feel a little differently if I found out that some maniac, who was close to the edge, carrying a loaded semi auto 40 cal showed up at a meet, and was drinking excessively, displaying a violent tendancy.
I guess that if I knew the history and intent of this question I might be inclined to think about it more, and even possibly change my vote for don't ask, don't tell. But for now, with what I can assume, I voted as I did.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:07 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to go with "Don't ask, don't tell." I have no problem with responsible gun owners carrying legally and discreetly. Responsible being the operative word here...

Old 10-12-2006, 01:11 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
. . . someone is making a big deal about alot of nothing.
. . . . .
My thoughts too - we were not given the details, and it might of even been a hypothetical question. But remember FTE reaches across the nation, Canada, and around the world. Other countries have different gun laws, and some of our urban brothers feel different about guns.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:54 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

I have a lot of friends that carry weapons in thier vehicles for protection. I also have a brother who owns a sporting goods store and is permitted to carry a fire arm. I would say keep them on the don't ask don't tell. The more advertisement you give the more people will know about it and that gives it a better chance of being stolen and used against someone.
If you have one that is fine just don't talk about it..

Old 10-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Skipped_link
Elder User
I'm also for don't ask don't tell, not everyone needs to know, I do not usually carry a gun while traveling, but when at home and out in the hils I rarely have less than three with me,

Besides, at an FTE get togeather there may be more than one person that have a gun with them, this may lead to an added bonus of these individuals getting to geather & going to a shooting range for a little fun, more common interest is always a good thing,

Old 10-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guns are great when they are needed. There was a town in Fl or TX that passed a law requiring people to have a gun. Crime went down something fierce like 80%. Criminals are lazy. They prey on the weak and ill prepared. If an opportunity presents itself, they will take advantage. However, I firmly believe in kid-proof locks so that accidental shootings are minimized. So, if you got a pistol in your truck you better make sure that a kid or burgular can't ****** it when you are not looking. Jag

Old 10-12-2006, 03:44 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Guns are great when they are needed. There was a town in Fl or TX that passed a law requiring people to have a gun. Crime went down something fierce like 80%. Criminals are lazy. They prey on the weak and ill prepared. If an opportunity presents itself, they will take advantage. However, I firmly believe in kid-proof locks so that accidental shootings are minimized. So, if you got a pistol in your truck you better make sure that a kid or burgular can't ****** it when you are not looking. Jag
That was Kennesaw, Georgia if I recall.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by alchymist
That was Kennesaw, Georgia if I recall.
Interesting, thanks for the input!

See http://www.rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm

Old 10-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good find Clint. I knew it was some place a long way from CA! Jag

Old 10-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Campbell 56
Senior User
I voted!

Yeah, this poll kind of confused me. At first the smart guy in me thinks, "You mean I can't sit here at my computer with a loaded gun and be on the message board?" Well maybe I'm not really being "smart" there.

This state has some pretty specific laws about carrying firearms in your vehicle. I believe that a leagally carried gun or longarm is acceptable as long as the person carrying is acting in a responsible manner. But then again, to me it doesn't matter if people who are acting poorly are armed or not, I don't like to be near them in any case. A firearm included would just make it easier for me to decide when to leave, immediately.

Just my $.02 Take what you liked and leave the rest.

Craig

Old 10-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Seems to me I heard that in California you could carry a gun in your car unloaded. If you have ammunition in has to be in a separate compartment of the vehicle.

Is that true now? Things change and it was a long time ago when I heard that.

Quick Reply: Guns and Trucks