Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Replacement transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:23 AM
phatdually1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Replacement transmissions

Having 2000 PSD with automatic transmission with nearly 170,000 miles I'm considering a replacement from the factory. The reason I'm considering it is because they offer 3year/36000 mile warranty, and can be serviced at any Ford dealership. But back to my question. Do the new factory rebuilds have the mechanical diodes? The reason I ask is because in the model 2000 year transmissions don't have them. And from what I understand later ones have them and are not quite as reliable. So if I get a remanufactured one, will it be the mechanical diode or original type my truck originally came with? Thanks!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:30 AM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
diode was only in the 2001 (I believe) trucks, they stopped distributing them when they ran out of parts. There is a Ford TSB on replacing the Diode with a sprag (the prior and later replacement) so I doubt if the factory rebuild has the diode.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:32 AM
phatdually1
Junior User
Thanks for the information.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:04 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Phat, is a factory rebuild less $$ than a BTS? From what I keep reading around here BTS trannys are bullet-proof and warranty should not even be an issue??

Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 AM
cangim
Postmaster
That is the route that I would go, either a BTS or a Suncoast

Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Diesel4me
Freshman User
I just fried my tranny on my 01 PSD automatic. $3680 from the dealership with a 3 yr/75K warranty. FYI.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
last I head the BTS was $3900, everyone says it's a much better unit than factory. Of course, if the original lasted 170k your not treating them to badly.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
I was having issues with my tranny, so I started calling around. Dealership told me they dont make NEW trans anymore they are all rebuild around $3000, called local places and they said rebuild is $3500. So other than having a warranty from FORD witch they may or may not want to honor it may be worth calling BTS, $3900. That is where my truck is now and Brian said 2 year warranty no matter how may miles.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:35 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Not to mention after that 2 years he'll still fix anything as long as you pay freight or limp it in to him if something goes wrong. Somehow, I doubt he sees much warranty work.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by totin_tools
I was having issues with my tranny, so I started calling around. Dealership told me they dont make NEW trans anymore they are all rebuild around $3000, called local places and they said rebuild is $3500. So other than having a warranty from FORD witch they may or may not want to honor it may be worth calling BTS, $3900. That is where my truck is now and Brian said 2 year warranty no matter how may miles.
Not to say that you will have similar problems but look at this and decide for yourself if it is worth the hassle.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:51 PM
phatdually1
Junior User
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, but if I go with BTS or Suncoast and I have a problem where do I go to take care of it? You see if I go with Ford and have a problem, I simply take to the dealer. If I purchase BTS or Suncoast where do I take it? Also what do they offer for warrantys. Can they equal Ford? Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:57 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by phatdually1
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, but if I go with BTS or Suncoast and I have a problem where do I go to take care of it?

You see if I go with Ford and have a problem, I simply take to the dealer.

If I purchase BTS or Suncoast where do I take it?

Also what do they offer for warrantys.

Can they equal Ford?

Thanks again!
You give BTS a call. Not sure about Suncoast but I imagine they are the same in that respect. BTS you can call anytime even when your warranty is up. Suncoast, after warranty is over, call anyone you please.

My expierience has been that they will try to blame you for the problem if it is a high dollar item like trans or motor unless you know people there. See the my post where I linked a thread to it.

There has to be an independent trans shop that will take care of you. Some dealerships will even do it but make you sign off that if the trans breaks, it is your problem. They are responsible for the install only. I have a tech that works on the side for about $300 to R&R.

BTW will fix the trans even after the written warranty is up. I have never heard of him having an issue with it. Look at JTHarvey. Talk to him for first hand experience. I went with BTS simply because it was spoken so highly of here.

Are you joking? Ford warranty cannot even come close to BTS. Ask anyone who has had a BTS trans. If the manager even thinks you have abused it, or can find a reason to say you abused it, your warranty will be denied. BTS has not been heard of around here to deny a warranty. He has even taken care of people out of warranty. I bought a valve body from him and toasted the trans a month later. He gave me credit for the VB even tho it was in a toasted trans where the temp got hot enough to burn the fluid.

You're welcome

Last edited by aklim; 10-10-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:58 PM
phatdually1
Junior User
I can get a remanufactured ford for $2000 with core exchange, and the new rebuilt comes with an billet torque converter. Bts costs alot more and offers 2 year warranty. Now from the standpoint of reliability I'm sure BTS or Suncoast is a fine unit, but I'm not looking for the ultimate set up. I don't race my truck or pull heavy loads so that's not an issue. But this still doesn't answer my original question at the starting thread. Does the remanufactured transmissions come with the mechanical diode or sprag? Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:01 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

I can get a remanufactured ford for $2000 with core exchange, and the new rebuilt comes with an billet torque converter. Bts costs alot more and offers 2 year warranty. Now from the standpoint of reliability I'm sure BTS or Suncoast is a fine unit, but I'm not looking for the ultimate set up. I don't race my truck or pull heavy loads so that's not an issue.

But this still doesn't answer my original question at the starting thread. Does the remanufactured transmissions come with the mechanical diode or sprag? Thanks again!
How good is the 3 yr warranty if you need it and they try blame the failure on you? BTS has a 2 yr written warranty but has often extended it past 2 yrs and does not care what you do with the trans. Yes, you don't race it or pull heavy loads and it helps. However, that is not an assurance of anything.

Sprag

Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
But this still doesn't answer my original question at the starting thread. Does the remanufactured transmissions come with the mechanical diode or sprag?

See my first reply, the first one in this thread. Theres a ford TSB that recomends not using the diode, I doubt if it's in there reman's.