1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"0 miles to Empty"

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 AM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF
Makes me wonder how people without MTE estimators get by...
I keep gas in the tank 1/2 to1/4 fill it back up especialy in the winter plowing.... I get stuck somehow dont want to wait fo a tow with a low fuel light as company

Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM
RamblinManGa
New User
Hi from Ga. . . I'm happy to say, the 'miles to empty' thingee is NOT accurate at all ! One night crossing Southern NM on I-10 (AKA middle of freaking nowhere) in my F250 V10 pulling my travel trailer, I missed the Deming exit. When we finally rolled in to a station, it was 23 miles PAST the 0 miles to empty tank note. Hope to never try that again ! !

Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wildfire532FB
Interesting. So it just needs something to let the air escape out of the tank and by cutting a house will allow that
Pretty much, right now the breather hose is about 6+ inches long, so when the tank reaches the bottom of the hose it can no longer breathe and you and up filling the filling hose rather then the tank. By shortening the breather hose, it allow you to fill the tank much further before the shutoff occurs.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Wildfire532FB
Senior User
Oh ok maybe i'll do this someday.

Went shooting today and had to wheel up to our spot in about a foot of snow and mud and when i was done shooting and i got back down to the highway and looked up to see what the temp was outside and my little miles to empty gauge said 20 miles and i was like "Oh ****" cause i was 30 miles from the nearest gas station but then i looked at the gas gauge and i had half a tank lol. Made me think of this post.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
That has to do with the angle the truck was sitting when it was started. The Message Center calibrates itself at startup and when you started the vehicle, it was probably not sitting near flat thus it gave an inaccurate fuel level to the MC. Once you get to flat road, shutdown and restart it will read correctly again.

It's stupid, I know.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Wildfire532FB
Senior User
Originally Posted by smotrs
That has to do with the angle the truck was sitting when it was started. The Message Center calibrates itself at startup and when you started the vehicle, it was probably not sitting near flat thus it gave an inaccurate fuel level to the MC. Once you get to flat road, shutdown and restart it will read correctly again.

It's stupid, I know.
It just switched on my drive home from the gym this morning, took a while to recalibrate lol. I drove it last night and it still said 20 miles.

i have a question about this "guage area" mine the compass is never working and it always says CAL under the compass. How do i get it out of that?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've ran to "zero" twice. Once was during city driving and another after a 15 mile run on the freeway at 60mph. Both times, I had 4 gallons of fuel left in the tank.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Wildfire532FB
It just switched on my drive home from the gym this morning, took a while to recalibrate lol. I drove it last night and it still said 20 miles.

i have a question about this "guage area" mine the compass is never working and it always says CAL under the compass. How do i get it out of that?
It means the compass needs to be calibrated.

Compass zone/calibration adjustment
  1. Determine your magnetic zone by referring to the zone map.
  2. Turn ignition to the RUN position.
  3. Start the engine.
  4. From the SETUP menu, press and release the RESET control until the message center display changes to show the current zone setting (XX).
  5. Press and release the RESET control repeatedly until the correct zone setting for your geographic location is displayed on the message center.
    The range of zone values are from 1 to 15 and “wraps” back to 1.
  6. To exit the zone setting mode, and to “lock in” your change:
    • press and release the SETUP control or,
    • press INFO control to exit or,
    • wait 4 seconds and the zone will be “locked in”.
    Perform compass calibration in an open area free from steel structures and high voltage lines. For optimum calibration, turn off all electrical accessories (heater/air conditioning, wipers, etc.) and make sure all vehicle doors are shut.
  7. Press the RESET control to start the compass calibration function.
  8. Slowly drive the vehicle in a circle (less than 3 mph [5 km/h]) until the CIRCLE SLOWLY TO CALIBRATE display changes to CALIBRATION COMPLETED. It will take up to five circles to complete calibration.
  9. The compass is now calibrated.
    Note: If the RESET control is pressed or 3 minutes has expired, the display will go back to the INFO menu and will show CAL instead of the compass heading until the compass is calibrated.

BTW, if you download the manual, this information is on approximately page 134.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Wildfire532FB
Senior User
What a pain in the ***

Old 09-04-2011, 04:43 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
BTW, Got a chance to perform the Harpoon mod on my truck this weekend, finally. Then performed the maiden fuel up to test it out. Got all but 1 gallon in before the pump shutoff. The last gallon required me to slowly fill like we used to. In and out of the station in under 5 minutes, that includes logging my mileage.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Just to be prepared i try to fuel at 1/4 minimum and always fill the tank before hooking up the trailer. When i ran it low to test guage i got over 36gal in it when the guage showed E and was a few miles after 0miles remaining poped up.

Running around with 3/4 tank on average gives me about 400 miles, 525 when full, and 130 on 1/4 which is nice if there is a hurricane or blizzard or whatever and no fuel is available.

Now im not super happy with range when towing. But at ~10 with the trailer even 40gallons go fast. I start looking for nice accessible staions at 1/2 tank if im unfamiliar with area so i dont get stuck 30' of trailer makes alot of stations a no-go

I dont like the ethanol **** either but i drive about 15k a year so i think it cycles fine. When i get a commuter car and the f250 sits more im going to have to look into that more.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
The DTE and avg. MPG are very accurate in my truck, although I usually don't let it get under a 1/2 tank. I feel a lot better about spending $60 to fill up than $120.

I used to have a friend who I swear had the gas light on every time I was in his car. I remember one time we drove over 30 miles with the light on, I thought for sure we were going to be walking home. To me its just not worth taking that risk

Old 09-07-2011, 02:05 AM
GreenOne
New User
My wife is a charter member of the "drive-past-ten-stations-on-the-way-home-with-the-gauge-on-E-and-then-ask-me-to-go-out-and-fill-it-for-her" club. Usually there's a couple of gallons left but last week I rolled into the station without power. She is now being converted into the "stop-and-fill-up-when-it-hits-1/4-or-else!" club.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Ian123
Posting Guru
What's with everyones wives not knowing how to pump gas?

Old 05-11-2019, 01:58 PM
jmask001
New User
Originally Posted by CAFordDude
I have seen a number of threads here about the digital display or "lie o meter" as some refer to it in regards to MPG etc... that it displays.

Well today I ALMOST found out the hard way that when it displays "0 miles to E" it is pretty dead on accurate. I saw it counting down miles as I was driving and assumed that there was a reserve even after it said 0 miles. I was getting off the freeway when it stuttered once...and then twice and then a third time. Luckily I crested the top of the off ramp, rolled a right on a green and then into the local gas station.

I don't know exactly how the computer figures out all that stuff but I am now a FIRM believer in that little digital display and all it's information.
Well, I just discovered mine is extremely accurate as well! Hit "0" MILES TO EMPTY, and here I sit waiting for my wife to arrive with some diesel fuel!

Quick Reply: "0 miles to Empty"