Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Loud squeeking (Front end) Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:16 PM
jmdetermann
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud squeeking (Front end) Plz Help!

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport trac.

I am having loud embarasing sqeek while driving. I have had it inspected by three different mechanics and keep getting conflicting information. One said it was Bushings (probably control arm bushings, this guy said it for sure isn't ball joints). Another mech tells me its upper ball joints. I have another telling me it's lower ball joints.

It's kinda like a creak/metal on metal sounding squeek from the front end.

If I reach up and grab the roof rack and shake it, you can hear it really well.
You can also hear it loudly while driving over any bumps. Also when turning the steering wheel while idle, or braking hard enough to make the front end drop down.

ANy feedback would be great. ANyone else hear of this?!

-Jon<!-- / message -->

Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 PM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
My guess is a tie rod end. Have somebody run the engine and recreate the noise by turning the wheels (make sure it's in park with the parking brake on so you don't get run over) and crawl underneath and grab the tie rods one at a time. You should actually 'feel' the vibration resonate through the tie rod.. trust me you'll know if you feel it. If it seems smooth but you still hear the squeeking, try grabbing the upper control arm near the ball joint and then the lowers...

Also a stethoscope may help if you have one, problem is the noise often travels through the suspension and can fool you sometimes.

If still not sure you can try slitting the boots just a little and spraying some lubrication in there... let it work its way in and it should temporarily cure the noise.

90% of these I run into is an outer tie rod end. Very easy to replace, but strongly recommend an alignment (toe set) afterwards.

Good luck

Old 10-05-2006, 06:25 PM
jmdetermann
New User
Thanks fro the reply. I am getting ready to put rotors and pads on. I will attmpt that while I have wheels off.

Any other suggestions from anyone would be great.

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 PM
jmdetermann
New User
I have also noticed it seems to be more noticable on certain days...I don't know if humidity plays a factor, or what.

-Jon

Old 10-06-2006, 06:50 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it make the noise if you grab the roof rack with the engine off? If so, I suspect control arm bushings. Most front end shop should be able to figure this out. Try squirting some wd40 on the bushings while someone is rocking the truck to see if it quites down a bit. This should help you isolate the problem.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:22 PM
gpyles01
Senior User
The description thats been given matches my problems not too long ago on my 00 Explorer, to a T infact..In my case the ball joints were shot..i had about 1/8 inch play on drivers side and almost 1/4 inch play on passenger side...i would try jacking the front of your suv up and grab the tires and try to move them up and down...if u can..then i would say ball joints..if your not sure..try to take a look while you or someone else is doing it...always a good idea not to work under a car without someone elses help or supervision...hope this helps..

Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 PM
jmdetermann
New User
Thanks for the info. I have actually had the vehicle on a jack, but didnt feel any movement in the wheel, I've even used a metal bar for extra leverage and presure to see if there is movement in the wheel. I didn't see any.

Also...Yes I can grab the roof rack and sway the vehicle from side to side with the engine off and I still hear the sound.

I can even here it creaking alittle when I get out of the car (the weight of my body tansfering from the vehicle to the ground). And I am 170 lbs.

Thanks guys for the responses.

Any more info or ideas would be greatly appreciated! I wanna fix this.

-Jon

Old 10-09-2006, 03:45 PM
jmdetermann
New User
If anyone else has had or is experiencing a similar problem please let me know what has or what is being done to resolve the issue.

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:03 PM
jmdetermann
New User
Hrm...........

Old 11-05-2006, 06:15 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
i had trouble with the stabalizer bar bushings attached to the main frame. took brackets off, put antisieze on them and reinstalled. --- you need two guys, one to rock the truck, other to lay under and listne, feel for the noise. spraying WD40 on a few joints to see if it changes pitch will help narrow it donw. you can wedge the WD40 spray plastic tube into the bushings to lube them, you can push the tube inside the ball joint sockets to lube them.. see what makes a difference in noise.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:15 PM
jmdetermann
New User
Wanted to update: The noise has gone away since we have hit cold weather here. However, we had a couple days in the 50's-60's degrees and the squeeking came back, so I know it's still there. Then back to 20's-40's and no squeeking.

Maybe this added info will help somone to determine the problem?

Old 01-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Mount1
New User
I actually have the same problem with my '01 mountaineer,now, I can hear it too with the slightest shake especially when I move the car(rock it I should say) from the pass. side,it's in the front. someone help.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:54 AM
ITFD
Freshman User
I had the same annoying noise on my 99. It is the upper control arm bushings. The only way I could make the noise go away was when I oiled it for winter I sprayed the bushings with a serious amount of oil(wanted to make sure they were soaked).

That was 3 years ago and the noise never came back.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:09 AM
98XONDUBS
New User
i had the same problem,we replaced the upper and lower ball joints.problem solved...my father in law is a mechanic,and he even said that replacing them probably wasn't the noise i was hearing,well he was wrong!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
My Mountaineer has this noise but it is more pronounced in cold weather going over a speed bump. I replaced the lower ball joints and have now replaced the shocks and it is still there. Both of these were worn out but it did not solve the squeak. The squeak is not as loud but I think it is because I have to slow down more now on a speed bump with the new shocks.

Quick Reply: Loud squeeking (Front end) Plz Help!