Hitch wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:29 AM
straightsixes
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch wiring issues

OK heres the quick background. Picked up a beautiful 2001 F350 CC, 7.3 PSD at a dealer auction only to find that even though it still has a working Fifth wheel 7 pin connector they snagged the actual hidden trailer hitch (for boats and travel trailers).

While installing the new 10,000 lb hidden hitch I find that square/rectangular T-connector to slide into Fords electrical system is still present, (they were splicing off this to connect the 5th wheel wiring), but they just cut off the wiring that was attached to the hidden hitch. ugggghhhhh.

Since we pick up all kinds of boats and trailers at the auction I was hoping to have the 5 pin flat (four pin + backup surge protector) as well as the 7 pin round connector for boats and travel trailers respectively wired at the hidden hitch.

I thought the best thing to do would be to buy the same part that connects to the factory T to a 7 pin, and then just go color by color and connect the 5th wheel the way it is now. Maybe I'm crazy but I figured it would be easier to go 7 to 4 than the other way around.

However I can't find the factory or factory ready part that goes to a 7 pin. Etrailer, Hoppy, Reese, umpteen searches come up with nothing. Any suggestions? Am I doing this all wrong?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Steina
CO River Rat

When you get the 7-pin connector wired up and working, you might consider getting adapters for 4- and 5-pin trailers; they're reasonably priced and would save having to hardwire extra connectors at the hitch.

Steve

Old 09-18-2006, 01:19 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Funny, most everyone finds what they are looking for at Hoppy. Have you called them? Might try that to see if they can come up with what you are wanting as they seem to have everything else under the sun.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts
Steina is right on the money. I use a 7 to 4 when I pull my utility trailer. I only have a round 7 pin on my truck and adapt down from there as needed.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:12 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I buy a 7/4 connector at Northern Tools and install them on my trucks. Then I went to sportsman guide and bought three coiled adapter cables (7 to 4 etc.). Good working combo for just about everything on the road.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:15 PM
straightsixes
New User
Thanks for the help. I will call hoppy. My problem is that they cut the 7 pin connector wire that connects exactly to the T in the Ford wiring (as it just plugs in). They left some wire dangling and the whole bit. I'm just looking for that Harness that connects from the Ford Wiring T and then goes to a 7 pin plug that would attach to the trailer hitch below the bumper.

I find lots of 4 pin options, but would rather have the 7 pin and then use adaptors as recommended by many of you above. That definitely makes the most sense.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:09 AM
DetailerDave
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.hopkinsmfg.com/
Look under towing solutions. I had a similar issue. Someone removed the electrical connector, but left the hitch. There is a square plug with 12 pins that is to the left of the spare. Ford sells this plug in for a 4 pin flat. But the price is ridiculous. Hoppy sells the same plug for 12-20 bucks, depending on dealer. The extra wires are there for what you want to do. I added a piece that has a 4 and 7 pin connector in 1 piece. I just cut the end off of the Hoppy connector, and spliced it to the new one. I did use uninsulated crimps, soldered them, and put shrink tube over each wire. Then taped the bundle for a neat appearance.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM
straightsixes
New User
Ok here was my solution... Hopkins/Hoppy custom connector for Ford 99-01 F350 Factory connection to Flat 4 plus extra wires to go to 7 pin. This was picked up on Evilbay for $14 including shipping. Then went with the Hoppy 4 pin to 7:4 combo that will be placed next on/next to the hitch that was purchase on Amazon (not just books I guess) for $29 including shipping.

Not bad since the installer of the hitch wanted to charge $180 for the same thing. Of course I'm kicking myself for not putting on the 10,000 lb+ limit hitch myself... it would have been hard with just the wife and myself though.

If we need any other pin settings, I'll pick up the adaptors. Thanks for all your help, hopefully we'll be camping near you soon.