Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Mods OK on a 200k engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Jon G.
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods OK on a 200k engine?

My '99 F-250 PSD has 200k, from what I've learned it is about middle aged. Should I be aware of anything while I add mods? What HP level should I select for the chip 50? 75? 100?

-Jon

Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would recommend starting with intake, then exhaust, then gauges, then chip it. You have to let it breath first, then you need to be able to watch it, then you feed it. As far a how much to feed it, I would call Jody at DP Tuners and let him help you decide. That is my next mod. Of couse this is just my opinion.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by zx250
I would recommend starting with intake, then exhaust, then gauges, then chip it. You have to let it breath first, then you need to be able to watch it, then you feed it. As far a how much to feed it, I would call Jody at DP Tuners and let him help you decide. That is my next mod. Of couse this is just my opinion.

i agree with you completely, took the words right out of my mouth. intake, exhaust, and then gauges, finally chip. i have a post i made a few times about the pros and cons of all of them, but i think if you search you will get all you need to look at.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:21 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zx250 said it well, mine has 182,000 on the clock and going with D-P tuner in the future

Old 09-04-2006, 03:44 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
O.K newby to this site, but for what its worth, My 99.5 has about 220k on the clock and I am always tinkering with it. I started at 10K with a drop in K &N filter and a stainless high pressure X-over, then at 100k I went 4" turbo back straight pipe,split into duals out under the bumper, then added the Bully Dog with the outlook monitor, at 210k i ditched the K&N and went with the 6637 DIY tymar, and the zoodad. So the progression is just as the others have said, Let it breathe better, then make it think better.

Oh, by the way if you are worried about longevity,/ durability then stick with these mods and keep the added HP to under a 100 and you should be fine.

when i figure out how to add my signature I will put truck info in
like the site so far.
BD

Old 09-04-2006, 04:01 PM
zx250
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
O.K newby to this site, but for what its worth, My 99.5 has about 220k on the clock and I am always tinkering with it. I started at 10K with a drop in K &N filter and a stainless high pressure X-over, then at 100k I went 4" turbo back straight pipe,split into duals out under the bumper, then added the Bully Dog with the outlook monitor, at 210k i ditched the K&N and went with the 6637 DIY tymar, and the zoodad. So the progression is just as the others have said, Let it breathe better, then make it think better.

Oh, by the way if you are worried about longevity,/ durability then stick with these mods and keep the added HP to under a 100 and you should be fine.

when i figure out how to add my signature I will put truck info in
like the site so far.
BD
Sounds like you are right on track. Welcome to FTE. As far as you sig., go to the blue line and click on User CP. Then go to edit my signature. fill in the blanks. If you want it to show like mine and Strokin_it7.3 and DISLFVR, become a supporter. Not only do you get that benefit, you also have no adds on the board and the feeling of helping support the greatest mod I have made to my PSD yet.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i started modding mine at 190k and now have 205 k with no problems at all. guages, exhaust and intake, then chip

Old 09-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome Brandon, Like ZX said This is the best money I have spent on my truck

Old 09-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Jon G.
New User
Good advice everyone, thanks.

I just installed a 4" exhaust. It is a generic aluminized steel setup that is 4" from the turbo all the way back. Strangely, the truck came with a cat. converter --it's gone now. The truck is not much noisier and the low end torque is a bit softer. I put a snazzy Magnaflow tip on the back.

I changed the fuel filter too.

Next, I am going to get a Ford AIS then a chip.

This is a great forum, thanks for all of the advice. I am going to approach everything slowly and chip the chip on a tow tune just to be safe.

-Jon

Old 09-09-2006, 10:14 PM
zx250
Jon,
Sounds like you have a good plan going on, I still would like to recommend a set of gauges before you chip it. If money is an issue ( I know it always is with me),
go with the 6637 ($20) instead of the AIS and put the savings towards a set of gauges.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:31 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jon G.

This is a great forum, thanks for all of the advice. I am going to approach everything slowly and chip the chip on a tow tune just to be safe.
Gauges are the single most impotant modification in ensuring you keep everything safe. You can still hit the red line on the EGT guage with a tow setting.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Jon G.
New User
Yup, I forgot to mention: the EGT guage and boost guage arrive Monday!

I really wanted to get 'em here today so I could have a little fun tinkering over the weekend.

Maybe I'll tackle changing the differential fluids tomorrow.

-Jon

Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jon G.
Yup, I forgot to mention: the EGT guage and boost guage arrive Monday!

I really wanted to get 'em here today so I could have a little fun tinkering over the weekend.

Maybe I'll tackle changing the differential fluids tomorrow.

-Jon
Cool deal, your gonna love the difference those mods will make. The only regret I had was not doing it sooner.