Do you think...?

Old 08-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Drag_N_Fly_One
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think...?

Does anyone think Resturants may eventually catch on and start charging people for thier oil?

Has anyone gotten oil from the major fast food joints in thier area?

Old 08-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by Drag_N_Fly_One
Does anyone think Resturants may eventually catch on and start charging people for thier oil?

Has anyone gotten oil from the major fast food joints in thier area?
Yup. Some restaurants in Tyler (east Tx) are already doing this. An SVO/WVO guy here was complaining about how difficult it's getting to find 'free fuel'. It's still out there, you just hafta hunt for it.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:59 AM
phatbulldog
Senior User
Well, my personally I've always "tipped" them for thier oil. I take care of them they take care of my oil.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:03 AM
ToddT
New User
Here in the "southern fried south" most restaurants are paid for the waste oil. How much they are paid is based on the volume and quality of the oil. It isn't much... a few cents per gallon. Most places I've talked with say they get anywhere from $10 to $50 a month. They definitely don't consider their oil as a profit center. They are just glad someone is taking their oil. They used to have to pay to have it removed.

What I see in the future is us individuals like us will take ALL the oil from specific locally owned restaurants and the national chains will remain with the big rendering companies. It will be an either/or... either give to us diesel greasers or give it to the renderers. Pay for it? No problem. Its a competitive market. I'll have this place, another guy will take the chicken place down the road, that guy with the Cummins will get the oil from the Chinese place over yonder... etc.

Todd

Old 08-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by phatbulldog
Well, my personally I've always "tipped" them for thier oil. I take care of them they take care of my oil.
Ya know, that's not a bad idea at all! Instead of them paying to have the oil removed, there's actually a little money coming in. Coupla other suggestions mentioned by others:

1. Always pick up the oil on a regular basis - same day/same time. This is very reassuring to a manager, knowing that there won't be a buildup out in his storage area. Space is limited back there, and this kind of responsible thoughtfulness really makes points.

2. Use barrels that are clearly identified as yours. This helps the employees know which barrel gets the 'best' oil. Biodiesel sticers/decals are pretty cool, too, and they help emphasize the fact that the oil they set aside will be used for something pretty special.

3. The fact that most restaurants are paying to have the oil removed really stacks the deck in our favor. In addition to that, a little thoughtfulness goes a long way in cementing a strong relationship with the manager and the business. One guy actually takes a portable power washer and completely cleans the oil storage area every 3 months. Needless to say, he gets some GREAT oil!

Old 08-27-2006, 05:34 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm with Dave, I've been doing this for 3 years, and you could set your watch by my pick-up-times. I've had "others" approach my restaurants and offer to pay them for their oil, and I haven't lost one yet! Since I remove both their oil AND the empty "cubes" they also save on their trash hauling. The "big-Boys" charge them $60/month to haul just the oil, so many of them treat me to a free lunch every once in a while...............Service,Service Service.

FABMANDELUX.