recommendations for rugged cassette/cd player

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:57 PM
davidsca
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recommendations for rugged cassette/cd player

Hey all,
I have a 1980 F-150 4x4, lifted, big tires etc. This truck has eaten a cd player and 2 cassette players so far due to rough ride, playing in the fields etc. Can anyone recommend a cd or cassette player that can withstand some bumps and knocks?

Thanks,
Dave S

Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Hey Dave...
How 'bout a Marine radio?

Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 AM
davidsca
Senior User
now thats not a half bad idea....

(gears grinding in brain sound)

DS

Old 08-20-2006, 07:31 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
CAT also carries a radio ...

CAT Radio I may be able to get a "supplier discount" on this... I have some "connections" at the Fuel Systems plant out in Ga. and Illinois' plants.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:02 AM
CBFryman
Senior User
How much are you willing to spend?

There are plenty of CD players who are designed to be used in extremely loud/spl systems. as far as two in ones the only high quality (and tank like) units I can think of would be McIntosh. A little high end to be putting into a mud truck.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:22 AM
davidsca
Senior User
I agree cbfryman,
Theres no sense installing a $500.00 system into a play truck. My "kill sheet" so far consists of a $30.00 autozone special, a $40.00 pep boys special and a $60.00 autozone special.
I may just hold off on the tunes until I get the pure off-road shocks removed and some easy riders installed. Its not like I can hear the radio when I'm 4 wheeling anyways, right? lol.
DS

Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Well.. sort of...

Dave,
Remind me to "look" when I get back (28 dayz ) or maybe during the g2g. I may have something that would work...

Old 08-20-2006, 09:00 AM
CBFryman
Senior User
McIntosh cost a little bit more than $500.

A full McIntosh system (Source unit, Processor, EQ, and Amps) would cost more than most beater mud trucks + wheels, tires, suspension ,and engine modifications.

Upwards of 5k is more like it. And that is for their 'lower end' stuff.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:08 AM
davidsca
Senior User
gadzooks!
I'd hate to say I had more in my sound system than I do in my truck.lol. But then again, it seems every day I see some young kid on the road driving a chevy caprice w/a lift kit, 22" rims and LOUD thumping stereo. Problem is, the exhaust is coughing out blue smoke as they tool along
I guess I'm old school, make sure the vehicle runs good, then add on the tacky, sensless Flours de leis

DS

Old 08-20-2006, 09:39 AM
CBFryman
Senior User
People who buy McIntosh own BMW's, Porsche's, Mercedes, HIGH end domestic cars. McIntosh is hardly interested in being loud. The power output of their amps is only "high" for over head when listening to music with high dB Crest Factors. Sound Quality is their game. They use top notch componets and construction techniques and you jsut about cant kill them. All hand built right here in the US.

As for loud? Getting your trunk to rattle like a bag of tin cans is cheap..Especailly when you run a walmart LOC with your OEM head unit and stock speakers. It just sounds more like a fart than bass.
I know kids who have cut braceing and broken welds in their trunks to make it rattle more. Stupid IMO. Every time a new rattle devlops in my truck I track it down and dampen it to the most **** extent.