Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector install q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:02 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Injector install q's

I need the install info...I misplaced my ford manual disk after a burned a bunch of copies for others. Yadda yadda remove covers this and that but what I need to know in as few words as possible is

One injector at a time but what must I drain? Do I need to pop the oil plugs and drain or how about the fuel rail? Or better yet a link. I didnt find a specific instruction on my search of this site.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:49 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-18-2006, 10:59 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Thats what I needed Hink, thanks Troy

Old 08-18-2006, 11:07 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
When I changed one of mine, I thought did everything right. Tried to start and it was hydro locked. Kwik helped me out, told me to pull the glow plug and manually crank it to blow out the cylinder. That did it, worked great. I had cranked it with the injector out but apparently that didn't work. Even though it's more of a pain, I would put the glow plug in last. The clearance is very tight with a socket, but it can be done. Good luck.
Steve

Old 08-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 779 Likes on 595 Posts
Hink I see that you beat me to it. Thank you.
Kennedy, how's the job going?

Old 08-19-2006, 01:15 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
#$@%$$

I put the new oil pump in and had it packed with petroleum jelly. Then I finished putting her back together at about 3 am and fired up.....

Here is where I may have effed up....My truck never had the crackle injector in it so I did not heed the visual warning.....I put it in the passenger side rear...if this is wrong can I just change the top of the injector?

It took forever to start and I used up 3 cps and none of them ever show the rpms. Crank too slow?

I bumped the engine over after pulling the rear injector one side at a time, then did it manually did it to feel if it was locked and rolling backe. I turned over the engine every time I placed a new injector in, never hydrolocked.

Finally fired up on 3rd good cps same visual on the tack, but wait there's more....shut down and clean up a little, cranks alot to fire again. Oil resevoir is full at this point. Shut down and refire ok, shut down and wait a few cranks alot.

Slight ticking from drivers side. Maybe I knocked a rocker off? No ses lights
Banks system turned to all stock.

How much time to run all the air out of both the fuel and the oil systems?
Test drove about 300 to 500 feet. Blew the turbo hoses off both times. I will be degreasing and de oiling and try and restart my test drive...O and if following Kwiks directions of pulling 2 rears and turning over...HOLY CRAP make sure you have a brick covering your cardboard or mudflap or what ever you placed over the injector hole.

Now I hope my qs can be answered by those with experience in this matter.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Yep, I found out the hard way on the oil shooting out of the injector cups as well. I had to pile a bunch of rags on top of the air conditioner housing to sop up the mess.
It will take at least 100 miles to work all the air out of the HPOP rails.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:23 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Ok what about the crackle injector?

Old 08-19-2006, 03:57 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kennedyford
My truck never had the crackle injector in it so I did not heed the visual warning.....I put it in the passenger side rear...if this is wrong can I just change the top of the injector?
Did you install a long lead injector, or did it already have one and you put it back in?

Old 08-19-2006, 04:22 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by cookie88
Did you install a long lead injector, or did it already have one and you put it back in?
I don't think they put the LL injector in until '02, so he probably didn't have one.

Originally Posted by kennedyford
Ok what about the crackle injector?
The LL injector goes in the #8 cylinder, driver side rear.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:38 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hink10
I don't think they put the LL injector in until '02, so he probably didn't have one.
I'm not sure when they stopped putting LL injectors in, but they had definitely started before 02. My 01 with an engine production date of 9/00 had a LL injector.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:00 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by cookie88
I'm not sure when they stopped putting LL injectors in, but they had definitely started before 02. My 01 with an engine production date of 9/00 had a LL injector.
Thanks for the correcting me cookie. Now that I think about it, I think they did put them in some before '02, but they were in all starting in '02. You can check the serial number on the motor, this will tell if there was a LL injector in #8 if anyone wants to know what they have. Here is a link to a chart with some info http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=206 .

Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Angry

I should have .

Ok now you have me concerned. All my old injectors aside from the crud and corrosion had all the same part numbers. AD........I did put my new injectors in and I did put the crackle in number 7 opps...Can I just change the top? It didnt look any longer. My engine is the Sept 22 of 99. AAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...

Old 08-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Do you still have your old injectors? Why not just rebuild one of them and swap it out?

Old 08-19-2006, 10:15 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
O yeah I still have my old injectors, rebuild hmmmm well see. Ill post pic of these 450,000 that have run wmo and red fuel and bleach and bad fuel and everything else someone should not do. I dont know if they are salvagable, but the question remains. What will happen if I still run that crackle in 7 instead of 8 and is the top the only difference? I didnt see any difference in the length, in fact when I put all new o ring on it was just the same distace to place each o ring on. Im thinking its just a top firing electronics that I can change.

Quick Reply: Injector install q's