1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Governor 2001 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Tattoo626
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Governor 2001 Ranger

Does anyone know what or how I can bypass the Governor on my 01 Ranger 2.3L. The motor cuts off at 97 and is getting to be annoying.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Where do you do your racing?

Old 08-17-2006, 11:37 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Max speed limit that I've ever seen in this country on a public roadway is 75mph; little need to go much over that even when passing.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The governor is there for safety reasons, to keep stupid people from killing themselves, and/or other people......

Old 08-17-2006, 11:41 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Some of whom don't understand what speed ratings on tires is all about for starters...............

Old 08-17-2006, 11:43 AM
wintremute
Elder User
It's built in to the computer. You'll need a performance chip or a re-flash to change it. That basically resets it to 255mph.

BTW, mine cuts in at 90. That doesn't even keep me up with the flow of traffic on I-75 here.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 AM
JCS30th
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile
Some of whom don't understand what speed ratings on tires is all about for starters...............
Urban ledgen man. I used to run 90mph on bias belted back in the day. Never a problem. Yes on a Nascar track, but you will never have any problems in the real world.

Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
The governor is there for safety reasons, to keep stupid people from killing themselves, and/or other people......
This is just plain stuipd and incorrect. It is there because of our worhtless legal system. Speed is not the cause of any wreck only negligence.

Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile
Max speed limit that I've ever seen in this country on a public roadway is 75mph; little need to go much over that even when passing.
Hmmm. Algore voter? I have hit 160 in my F-body many many times. It is a rush. Heck I had my cruise set on 89 coming to work this am in my ranger.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JCS30th
Urban ledgen man. I used to run 90mph on bias belted back in the day. Never a problem. Yes on a Nascar track, but you will never have any problems in the real world.

This is just plain stuipd and incorrect. It is there because of our worhtless legal system. Speed is not the cause of any wreck only negligence.

Hmmm. Algore voter? I have hit 160 in my F-body many many times. It is a rush. Heck I had my cruise set on 89 coming to work this am in my ranger.
Going 97+ MPH in a Ranger is what's stupid and incorrect.

And you can convince yourself of whatever you like, but your also dead wrong on the tires too, bud.

Pray that, in your cockiness and recklessness, you don't some day injure or kill an innocent person.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Tattoo626
New User
Governor 2001 Ranger

I do my racing at Houston Raceway Park. By the way I didnt mention anything about having stock tires and I passed my kid days a long time ago.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
If you really feel the need to do 100+ mph in a brick shaped vehicle that was never intended for those speeds then I suggest you contact Doug Studdard at Bama chips and get his X2 tuner. I'm not going to lecture you on your driving, I just want to let you know that the Ranger was never designed to travel at excessive speeds. It doesn't have the suspension/brakes or tires for that (given that they are the stock type tires). Just be careful man.:-)

Old 08-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=JCS30th]

I'm no expert but I have done my fair share of racing and driving too fast in my Mustang but it has been fairly obvious that high speed and stupidity go hand in hand on the open road. Nobody with any common sense drives at 100mph+ speeds unless they are wreckless and ignorant. Higher speeds shorten the time you have to react to any situation and make it harder to stop and control a vehicle. Saying that speed is not the cause of ANY WRECK is stupid and incorrect. Many times people drive at speeds beyond their skills and abilities to control the vehicle. Next time, think before you speak. I too have passed my superman, nobody and nothing can hurt or kill me invincible days and I have to take into consideration of everyone else's lives around me that can be affected by my driving. (end rant)

Ed

Old 08-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Tattoo626
New User
Governor 2001 Ranger

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and be assure everything I do is with extreme caution and safety. I have been building trucks and racing for 20 years now. My 2001 ranger is completly redesigned by suspension, height, weight, compontents, along with a roll bar and 5-point harness. I do my research before I preform my task. I am trying to see what I can get out of this 2.3 before I pull it out and go to a bigger motor. I will post pictures soon.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tattoo626
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and be assure everything I do is with extreme caution and safety. I have been building trucks and racing for 20 years now. My 2001 ranger is completly redesigned by suspension, height, weight, compontents, along with a roll bar and 5-point harness. I do my research before I preform my task. I am trying to see what I can get out of this 2.3 before I pull it out and go to a bigger motor. I will post pictures soon.
If you really wanna pull some power out of that 2.3 I suggest you get a turbo kit for it. They are out there to be had. Focussport.com offers one for the focus but it is the same motor so I don't see why it wouldn't fit and if I recall correctly there may even be some kits that are Ranger specific.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:48 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Looks like someone doesn't undestand heat buildup and tire construction. But if it's urban legan, please go run some snowtires with studs somewhere at 100 MPH for awhile. Make sure there's lots of trees along the road and that there are no innocent members of this socity in the way.

Next time you're being disrespectful and displaying general hatred towards the rest of society and driving along at 20 or whatever over the limit and a car pulls out in front of you, we'll see about the speed not being the cause. The negligence will be on the behalf of your driving in a unsafe manner. Hope the cops get to you before you hurt or kill someone, even if it's just you that's impacted. The good news is that in this neck of the woods, if you go fast enough they can and will throw you in jail. That's a good place for people that cause problems as they cannot cause problems for the rest of society while behind bars (usually).

Although politics are not allowed in this forum, I will say that I have little regard for 'Gore and his antics. However, if you desire to talk politics, go to the members forum where it's allowd. Unless something happens to you while driving. Now where is the RTFS icon.............

Old 08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
If you want the speed limiter off, get yourself a bama chips programer, and will add alittle umph to the little motor as well. The bama did away with my limiter, but I don't drive that fast anyway, but it's good to know you can if you need to I guess
www.bama chips.com

Quick Reply: Governor 2001 Ranger