1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Got a new toy in a trade

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 09:53 PM
BigBody
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a new toy in a trade

I ended up with an 84 F-150 flat bed. Has the interior out of a 90 including dash. Its got somehwere around 8 inches of lift and new 35'' boggers. The motor is a 351 mod which has been rebuilt with racing parts ( I was told) and manual 4 speed.. I know it hauls and looks like its going to be a fun truck.

It doesn't have a title. How hard is it to apply for a lost title? Anyone know what it usually cost?

The front end is out on it at the moment. Still driveable but the front end was shot reguardless with bad ball joints, etc.. I'm considering swapping in a 9'' rear and solid 44 up front. I'm not that mechanically inclined but I know enough to swap a rear end. Too much custom stuff for the front for my limited knowledge and tools.

Will a 9'' bolt right up ? Spring perches need moved? Any driveshaft mods? Diff U-joints? If so I think I'll try to find one with 4.11's or 4.56's.

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 08-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you find a 9" from an earlier truck, like 1980-83, it should bolt right in. I am not sure when they switched to the 8.8, but they did put the 9" in these trucks for a few years.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:18 AM
Dungeon_Master
Posting Guru
For the lost title. You'll need to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles and file for a lost title. Fees vary for each state. They may also require you to first file for a title search. Fees also vary for each state. Last time I did one here, it was $35 each. Here if it ever was a State vehicle or town vehicle, it will not have a title only a certificate of ownership. makes it hard to register.
Only real way to find out what it's going to cost is by going to your local Department of Motor Vehicles and asking. You maybe able to get answers off your states Department of Motor Vehicles website. Title searches and lost title can take a few weeks to process. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:43 PM
BigBody
Senior User
Well, had another night of tinkering with it. Needs more than I thought but hopefully it can all be done relatively cheap. Looks like it needs a new steering pump but I found one in the tool box on it so its no biggy. Apparently PO never got around to changing it. Looks like it may also need a steering shaft. Hard to tell since front end needs so much. Carb is leaking. Gas filler has been cut in half so gotta find something to fix that. I'd rather get a fuel cell. Carb is leaking. Needs fluids changed. The list goes on. But I cleaned the inside up and its still in great shape considering how I know the Po's have treated it.

How hard is it to swap out for another TTB? I got a guy who said he'd give me one thats in decent shape.

I have another problem. The tires are rubbing the radius arms very bad. Any solution to this at all besides diff tires? I didin't relaize it but the tires are 16'' wide boggers.

I have another weird question. I don't think its the stock motor or tranny. But, the shift for the 4 speed is very long. Its like in the dash on 1st gear. What Can I do about it? Is there a way to adjust the clutch? Its pretty tricky.

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 PM
BigBody
Senior User
For the tires rubbing, would 2 inch wheel spacers help?

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 08-16-2006, 10:42 PM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my opinion, but with an 8" lift and 35" tires, the front TTB is not long for this world. If you can find a solid Dana 44 it'd be a much better choice.

As far as the radius arms go, if they are stock arms, you can get some off-set radius arms that curve in to provide the clearance you need. I do say you don't need THAT wide a rim/tire on that truck unless you plan on floating down a river with it.

You can take the shifter off the truck and heat it with a torch and bend it so it won't hit the dash.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:01 PM
BigBody
Senior User
I know its at its limits. I'd love do a SAS but refuse to pay someone to do it for me. Plus, I'm confsued on what all axles will work and be easiest. I'll prolly just swap that other TTB in if its not too hard and ride it till it brekas b/c its free. Then hopefully by then I'll have some dough a little more knowledge. Radius arms are not stock. They are skyjacker and I believe they have a slight inward bend. Good I dea on the shifter I'll do that.

So, wheel spacers bad idea? or what do you guys think?

Old 08-16-2006, 11:21 PM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, wheel spacers are a bad idea as they put a lot more leverage on the outer ends of the axles. If you go to a junkyard you could probably find some good 15x8" wheels for cheap. You can also get some white spoke wheels from Summit for ~$28 a piece. Just make sure the backspacing isn't too deep on the new wheels.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:27 AM
BigBody
Senior User
8 inch wide wheel with 16in. wide tires? I didn't think that was possible?

Kyle

Old 08-18-2006, 06:41 PM
BigBody
Senior User
I think I'm going to go ahead and start looking for a ford 9'' with 4.11's or something close with a mini spool/spool. I figure since the front end needs replaced might as well go ahead and get a new rear too and get a little lower gear.

So, for the front, which years are the best to look for? I was thinking a 78/79 but unsure. What should I do about steering?

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 08-19-2006, 12:30 AM
pud
Posting Guru
79 and earlier solid axle, theres some years better than others but thats really splittin hairs. To make life easier grab the coil buckets off the solid axle truck, as the coils are different and sit wonky in the 80s coil buckets. Dont forget the radius arms either. If your tires rub your TTB arms they will rub the SFA arms even more. I pm'd you a link to another site with a forum dedicate for solid axle swaps into broncos.